Why become a member? ×

NBD - AV Basses PJ5

6feet7

After having seen Scott's Bass Lessons video on why Pro's use a P bass I had to do something about it (I thought I was GAS free, but this was only a passing phase). I always swore I would never play a Fender ever again (partly because nearly every crap bass ever made looks like a Fender. Secondly I've never found one I gelled with (though the best sounding bass I ever had was a 1980's Tokai Hardpuncher P bass with a Nordstrand pickup) and thirdly, because I now play 5 stringers only, I couldn't find one that didn't give me a hernia every time I tried lifting one. 

Anyway, I was looking at the Bass Gallery's website and the most gorgeous looking bass just jumped out at me. A 5 string P/J bass made by AV Basses of the Czech Republic in the most wonderous bright, almost Lamborghini green, with Nordstrand pickups and only weighing 8.6lbs. After a quick email to see if they would take my two early 1990's Patrick Eggle Milan V basses as a part-ex I was on the train up to London and the deal was done. I now have the best of a P and and a J in something lightweight and eye catching. I couldn't be happier. Normally I have to customise the bass straight away, but all I've done with this beauty is add a thumb rest (not in the pictures) and put my favourite strings on (DR Sunbeams). It doesn't need customising as I'm sure there isn't another bass out there that looks like this one.

AVB1JP5.jpg

AVB2JP5.jpg

AVB3JP5.jpg

AVB4JP5.jpg

AVBJP5.jpg

• Like 6

I have been eyeing this up on the Gallery website, I love AV Basses, they just look superb and I would love a great PJ. The only thing that put me off slightly was the colour combo, but it looks ok in your pictures. Great bass, enjoy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Oh and blimey, I just saw the opening post. It's very very pretty in green as well.

1 hour ago, NJE said:

I have been eyeing this up on the Gallery website, I love AV Basses, they just look superb and I would love a great PJ. The only thing that put me off slightly was the colour combo, but it looks ok in your pictures. Great bass, enjoy!!

It was the colour that attracted me. I wouldn't have looked at it if it hadn't have been 'eye catching'.