Jump to content
GisserD

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

Recommended Posts

For those of you who were wondering how I achieved the C4 chord freeze, here’s the secret if you want to try it yourselves:

 

It’s twofold. Firstly to get a single chord to play regardless of which note you play, you need to decouple the pitch detector from input 1. So you need to send a MIDI message which switches the pitch detector onto input 2 (making sure you’re not sending any audio into that input unless you want some kind of side chain effect).

 

Secondly, to get the infinite sustain, you need to send (up to) four messages to switch voice 1-4 envelope source to off. 

 

My method works best if you use two different envelopes for filter and amp, that way you can have the amp envelope sustain infinitely but still get some filter movement triggering each time you pluck.

 

You need to set up MIDI assignments for the five messages in the C4 MIDI map in the editor.

 

You can set up your controller to send the above messages on a press and revert upon release (momentary). Or you could set them up to toggle on alternate presses (latching).

 

As a further thing you can also send a message to disengage the filter envelope from input 1 to prevent filter movement during the freeze, but there are two problems:

It’s currently impossible for the C4 to simultaneously react to pitch detect input swap and envelope detect input swap. Also, at the point you disengage the filter envelope, the cutoff closes to the set value rather than the envelope completing its cycle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just uploaded a whole bunch of Spectrum presets which can, of course, be loaded into the C4.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello 🤗  I think I want to take the plunge.... I’ve been stalking this thread for ages now. I know I can get some killer synth sounds from the C4, but I’d appreciate the hive mind’s input on other sounds please?

Use cases / context here are:

* the following effects used sparingly / individually during pub cover gigs for a bit of flavour, where neither myself or the audience want / expect / need ‘best of class’ sounds

* aim to possibly reduce number of pedals currently in use
 

So....

* I should be able to get a Muff ish fuzz out of it? Current pedal: EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi

* I should be able to get a good squelchy filter out of it?  Current pedal: MXR M82 Filter

* I should be able to get a good octave down out of it? Current pedal: EBS Octabass

Thanks for any thoughts!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Hello 🤗  I think I want to take the plunge.... I’ve been stalking this thread for ages now. I know I can get some killer synth sounds from the C4, but I’d appreciate the hive mind’s input on other sounds please?

Use cases / context here are:

* the following effects used sparingly / individually during pub cover gigs for a bit of flavour, where neither myself or the audience want / expect / need ‘best of class’ sounds

* aim to possibly reduce number of pedals currently in use
 

So....

* I should be able to get a Muff ish fuzz out of it? Current pedal: EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi

* I should be able to get a good squelchy filter out of it?  Current pedal: MXR M82 Filter

* I should be able to get a good octave down out of it? Current pedal: EBS Octabass

Thanks for any thoughts!

I'm not familiar enough with a Muff sound but it does drive and fuzz.

M82 is doable: 

 

OC-2 sound is in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A Talkbass member has kindly lent me his 3 LEAF AUDIO Chromatron. Been wanting to try one for ages as I used to own a Wonderlove and it was great for putting octave and fuzz in the loop to create synth-like sounds. The Chromatron is even better I feel, as it works much better as a stand-alone envelope-controlled filter than the Wonderlove did.
 
I put my EMMA electronic Okto Nøjs in the loop and dialled in the following sound:
 
 
The owner asked if I could replicate this on the Source Audio C4. I’ve had a crack and got in the ballpark and have shared the presets on my Neuro feed:
 
 
Hope you enjoy them.
 
I’ll port these onto the Spectrum too, though they won’t be exactly the same. The octave distortions in the Okto Nøjs are slightly gated and I have achieved this on the C4 by assigning an amp envelope to those voices and using the envelope’s gate control; the Spectrum doesn’t have the ability to assign an envelope to the voices so the patches will be a little noisier. 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished porting the Okto Nøjs presets I made for C4 to Spectrum and publishing them. Hope you enjoy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve joined the club 😀

What a thing this pedal is. I’m blown away! Clearly going to take some time to get on top of it but already I’ve got some killer sounds out of it, mainly thanks to the community presets. @Quatschmacher - your work is outstanding. Thanks!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

I’ve joined the club 😀

What a thing this pedal is. I’m blown away! Clearly going to take some time to get on top of it but already I’ve got some killer sounds out of it, mainly thanks to the community presets. @Quatschmacher - your work is outstanding. Thanks!!

Thank you. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying them. Remember that any Spectrum patches can also be loaded onto C4; I’ve recently been making a lot of Spectrum patches.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I chuck in a USB MIDI cable question please?

I plan to buy DMC Micro - it’ll be plenty for my requirements I think.

I know I need a gHOST adaptor ie usb b mini to female usb a cable.... I guess either of these from eBay would work? Does ‘On The Go’ being a feature of the cable make a difference? Thanks!

E67732D3-FCBB-43DD-9AD7-16ED8A88FAD2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although DMC sell their cable specifically labelled with the gHost name, it’s really just a bog standard USB adapter. As long as the cable has the correct connectors, it will work.

@moley6knipe The top one in your image looks correct to me. “On the Go” is more a buzzword than anything else. It shouldn’t affect the cable’s compatibility with the C4.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2020 at 23:32, moley6knipe said:

Can I chuck in a USB MIDI cable question please?

I plan to buy DMC Micro - it’ll be plenty for my requirements I think.

I know I need a gHOST adaptor ie usb b mini to female usb a cable.... I guess either of these from eBay would work? Does ‘On The Go’ being a feature of the cable make a difference? Thanks!

E67732D3-FCBB-43DD-9AD7-16ED8A88FAD2.jpeg

I Plan to get the Micro too and was Also wondering this. 
 

Is the adapter even needed? Would a USB mini to USB mini be the only cable required? 
 

Like this one - 

89B6A362-2AE7-4C62-82BA-13705AEE3E9F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well: another thread, another forum indicates yes a mini B to mini B would indeed work. Few and far between on Amazon / eBay though as far as I could see anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory, yes. Should work. The C4 (or any other pedal) can’t tell how many adapters you’ve got running from point A to point B, so long as the relevant data is being transmitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.... my journey has escalated with purchase of Morningstar MC6 MkII.

I suspect I’m missing something fundamental. I’ve searched and YouTube’d and still not clear to me 😞 so advice gratefully received!

Hooking up C4 to MC6 via USB per pic doesn’t work.... as in, I programmed bank 1 preset A to send programme change 25 to C4 on MIDI channel 1 (which is what C4 is set to) and - nothing. Should have engaged a filter patch.

I suspect I should be using the MIDI Out DIN into the C4 rather than USB? I haven’t ruled out the USB adaptor being faulty... I don’t have another to swap out.

Is USB to USB the correct way to hook these up? Thanks!

 

0DCE86D3-59FE-4D42-A94A-B1504AE8AE93.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moley6knipe said:

So.... my journey has escalated with purchase of Morningstar MC6 MkII.

I suspect I’m missing something fundamental. I’ve searched and YouTube’d and still not clear to me 😞 so advice gratefully received!

Hooking up C4 to MC6 via USB per pic doesn’t work.... as in, I programmed bank 1 preset A to send programme change 25 to C4 on MIDI channel 1 (which is what C4 is set to) and - nothing. Should have engaged a filter patch.

I suspect I should be using the MIDI Out DIN into the C4 rather than USB? I haven’t ruled out the USB adaptor being faulty... I don’t have another to swap out.

Is USB to USB the correct way to hook these up? Thanks!

 

0DCE86D3-59FE-4D42-A94A-B1504AE8AE93.jpeg

Morningstar products aren’t USB hosts so you can’t hook it straight to the USB port of the C4; you need an intermediary device such as the Source Audio Hub or Disaster Area micro gHost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I already know the answer but... I don’t suppose a MIDI/USB cable like this would do the job?

TNP Midi to USB Cable Interface Converter - IN OUT Midi Cable Host Adapter Plug Controller Wire Cord For Keyboard Synthesizer Piano Instrument to Mac Computer PC Windows Laptop Music Studio (1.8 M) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077VHNZ2R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m5KFFbCMX5CEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

I think I already know the answer but... I don’t suppose a MIDI/USB cable like this would do the job?

TNP Midi to USB Cable Interface Converter - IN OUT Midi Cable Host Adapter Plug Controller Wire Cord For Keyboard Synthesizer Piano Instrument to Mac Computer PC Windows Laptop Music Studio (1.8 M) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077VHNZ2R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m5KFFbCMX5CEN

Don’t know. My guess would be no. If it can act as a host then maybe. Maybe worth a shot. You’d need an adapter cable though. If I had the relevant adapter cable I could try it with my Roland UM-One MKII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...