Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

6 hours ago, carlitos71 said:

Thanks for replies @Quatschmacher much appreciated 

Let me get the pedal and see how I get on and might take your kind offer after I get the basics of whats going to get the max out of it, would like to get most out of it before spending any more on more gear!

Perhaps we can chat about the squeezer when we do the lesson! Or open to suggestions specially if you any gear to swap temporally to try... 

Highly recommend @Quatschmacher online tutorials! Plus the Squeezer is awesome but a total PITA to programme unfortunately. Still love it though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Note @Quatschmacher’s point about setting input and output levels... worth reading the manual on how to use the led to “set” this. Worth knowing what your optimum setting is BEFORE loading 127 presets!

Check your firmware’s up to date when you get it (it likely is).

Plug it into your laptop and download the editor. Great way to browse and find sounds from the cloud.

Investigate MIDI, Hub + Morningstar controller if you can (it’s not the cheapest option!). Using MIDI and a good controller you can make the thing do dances, juggling, you name it. Be warned: it’s a rabbit hole! 😎

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, carlitos71 said:

Sorry for the silly question but which online tutorial (youtube? Talkbass?)? Link please! 🙂

He may have meant my video-chat lesson; the link to the text for the tutorial patch I shared is in the description box of the patch itself.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

He may have meant my video-chat lesson; the link to the text for the tutorial patch I shared is in the description box of the patch itself.

Yes that’s what I meant sorry for May confusion.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

From this thread I gather those in the know recommend a C4 is teamed up with something like a Neuro Hub (£105) and an MC6 (£220) but £550 total (£105 + £220 + £225 for the C4) is a bit steep for me as I don't have other midi pedals that would make it more worthwhile. 

For just controlling a C4  (mostly just to access more presets via a footswitch, but perhaps some other controls like hold to change filter sweep up/down), The cheapest option seems to be the DMC micro at £99 and there's no need for the neuro hub but I see there is also now a DMC micro pro at £149. As far as I can tell, the pro has a better display which shows preset names instead of numbers, but other than that it doesn't look like it has features I'd need to use just controlling one C4:  Controls 4x midi devices (vs 3x ), access up to 8x pages (vs 5x pages), and 'New Utility Mode Y page adds additional user-defined commands or use as looper control mode'. So in my case is it basically be £50 more to be able to see preset names rather than numbers, or am I missing something?

Edited by SumOne

23 minutes ago, SumOne said:

From this thread I gather those in the know recommend a C4 is teamed up with something like a Neuro Hub (£105) and an MC6 (£220) but £550 total (£105 + £220 + £225 for the C4) is a bit steep for me as I don't have other midi pedals that would make it more worthwhile. 

For just controlling a C4  (mostly just to access more presets via a footswitch, but perhaps some other controls like hold to change filter sweep up/down), The cheapest option seems to be the DMC micro at £99 and there's no need for the neuro hub but I see there is also now a DMC micro pro at £149. As far as I can tell, the pro has a better display which shows preset names instead of numbers, but other than that it doesn't look like it has features I'd need to use just controlling one C4:  Controls 4x midi devices (vs 3x ), access up to 8x pages (vs 5x pages), and 'New Utility Mode Y page adds additional user-defined commands or use as looper control mode'. So in my case is it basically be £50 more to be able to see preset names rather than numbers, or am I missing something?

The more functionality the MIDI controller has (ability to send CC messages on button presses, etc) the more functionality you’ll be able to squeeze out of the C4. It’ll give you access to stuff that is under the hood and make it easier to use. 

Morningstar also do a smaller MC3.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SumOne said:

As far as I can tell, the pro has a better display which shows preset names instead of numbers, but other than that it doesn't look like it has features I'd need to use just controlling one C4:  Controls 4x midi devices (vs 3x ), access up to 8x pages (vs 5x pages), and 'New Utility Mode Y page adds additional user-defined commands or use as looper control mode'. So in my case is it basically be £50 more to be able to see preset names rather than numbers, or am I missing something?

Have just had a quick scan of their new YouTube for the pro, and the user manual.... yeah, I *think* in terms of functionality all you gain is name display of presets (assuming you programme them on the DMC pedal, of course!). I dug into the features of the non-pro version when I was MIDI shopping. You'd need to compare both manuals / YouTube vids etc side by side I guess to be sure (assuming latest firmware on both boxes!).

The cost difference is two things of course: the Micro has USB host built in, so you don't need a SA Neuro Hub, just a USB adaptor cable, and of course the Morningstar controllers are expensive!

I think the DMC would let you scroll through presets on the C4, and engage/bypass them, and give you some limited CC control (like, you could switch distortion on/off; flick a value like filter frequency between two values etc) but how you actually do all of this on a box with defined switch functions and only two buttons might be challenging live, but I guess like anything you'd get used to it.

Bottom line: it's well worth adding external MIDI control full stop, so a DMC would be a good choice I'd say... and *in theory* if you add a Morningstar later, you've already got USB Host support in the micro so maybe wouldn't need a Neuro Hub?! I'm not an expert on this though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

I think the morningstar controllers can also do midi over usb, so you wouldn't need the neuro hub.

No.... if you're using a Morningstar you MUST have another box that provides Host, the MC products don't. So that's a Neuro Hub, or a DMC Micro, and I guess there might be others?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

*in theory* if you add a Morningstar later, you've already got USB Host support in the micro so maybe wouldn't need a Neuro Hub?! I'm not an expert on this though!

This made me curious so I asked the question, as it would be good info to know / add to this thread:

https://forum.morningstar.io/t/source-audio-dmc-micro-mc/1718

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

I think the morningstar controllers can also do midi over usb, so you wouldn't need the neuro hub.

The current Morningstar controllers do not have USB host capability so either the Hub or Disaster Area MicrogHost would be required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

The current Morningstar controllers do not have USB host capability so either the Hub or Disaster Area MicrogHost would be required. 

I stand corrected! 

Side note - you can DIY a midi host if you have some soldering skills. I did this recently and it worked out great. Another option for OP if so inclined! 

• Like 3

Cheers all, I'm sure the morningstar's are great but given that even the MC3 is £189 + £105 neuro hub (or micro gHost, or building myself @AJ567 nice work, I'm not sure I'd trust my building skills! ) it's quite a big cost increase on the £99 DMC micro so I'll probably go for that, or perhaps the pro version once I've checked the differences a bit more. 

21 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

This made me curious so I asked the question, as it would be good info to know / add to this thread:

https://forum.morningstar.io/t/source-audio-dmc-micro-mc/1718

It would be great if it did as it's actually cheaper than the neuro hub and I could use it as a stepping stone if/when I get more midi pedals and go for something like a morningstar to control them.

Yeah I hear you. Sub £100 is a kind of a bearable gamble.

The more I think about it, the more I can’t see why you couldn’t use the Micro as a Host only with an MC... For sure you can set an MC and an SA pedal to be “not on the same MIDI channel as the DMC” and assuming the DMC passes MIDI received out again (even if that means some sort of y splitter or a specifically wired trs Jack cable to get the MIDI into the MC) it should work!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Yeah I hear you. Sub £100 is a kind of a bearable gamble.

The more I think about it, the more I can’t see why you couldn’t use the Micro as a Host only with an MC... For sure you can set an MC and an SA pedal to be “not on the same MIDI channel as the DMC” and assuming the DMC passes MIDI received out again (even if that means some sort of y splitter or a specifically wired trs Jack cable to get the MIDI into the MC) it should work!

Nice one. I've ordered a DMC Micro as it seems that the only additional functionality I'd be getting from the Pro version is the display showing names of presets instead of numbers. And with a bit of luck it could work like the Hub or micro gHost if I get more into midi pedals and get an MC at some point.

• Like 1

I've recently bought the DMC micro to switch between my presets on the C4. I was a bit sick to see the pro had cone out,not 4weeks later, as id much prefer to see the preset names, Its not worth another £50 to me though. As it stands I've got my most used sounds as the first ones, and I'll literally write the patch number next to any tune that needs it on my set list. I was slight miffed at first at having to spend another £99 to get access to a decent number of sounds, but I'd definitely recommend you get one.

• Like 2

It does stick in the throat a bit for sure. But it gets offset by the silly number of sounds that you can use. Also, for me, adding MIDI  to C4 meant kicking muff, filter and octave off the board and into the sale ads which helped offset some. Plus, if you add further MIDI pedals you’re sorted.

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, moley6knipe said:

It does stick in the throat a bit for sure. But it gets offset by the silly number of sounds that you can use. Also, for me, adding MIDI  to C4 meant kicking muff, filter and octave off the board and into the sale ads which helped offset some. Plus, if you add further MIDI pedals you’re sorted.

Well yes! You're spot on with that.

Buying the DMC meant I could reduce the number of synthy fuzzes I had (just down to the Mastatron) and even my little bit crusher, I also didn't replace my Analog filters after i sold them. Used the money to get another bass 😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, lee650 said:

I've recently bought the DMC micro to switch between my presets on the C4. I was a bit sick to see the pro had cone out,not 4weeks later, as id much prefer to see the preset names, Its not worth another £50 to me though. As it stands I've got my most used sounds as the first ones, and I'll literally write the patch number next to any tune that needs it on my set list. I was slight miffed at first at having to spend another £99 to get access to a decent number of sounds, but I'd definitely recommend you get one.

Yeah, I had a C4 about 6 months ago and returned it when I realised it really needed extra controls and thought the price was getting a bit much to justify it as a replacement for my octaver and filter pedals. This time around I've come to terms that it's basically at least a £325 pedal and that it won't 100% replicate my analogue octaver (octamiser) or my MXR M82 but it will get close enough and selling them will raise about £200 so it's basically £125 more to also have the Synth/Tremolo/Distortion and all the other Filter sounds etc which I figure is worth it.

I'm on the fence with DMC micro vs £50 extra for the Pro, it would be useful to have preset names instead of numbers but not sure it's £50 worth when I can have a numbering system like you've got. Also, it looked to me like the Micro LED screen was a bit brighter/bigger numbers than the Pro with it's OLED writing. I figure at home it's fine to just know something like 10-19 are Filters, 20-29 are Lead synths etc. and scroll through until finding the right one, or have a sheet with them written down, and live probably using 1-9 for the most used ones cover most things so that's hopefully easy enough to remember (although I could see it being a bit risky as one number out could potentially be a completely different sound). I've ordered the micro but might exchange it it's £50 worth of hassle. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1