Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

39 minutes ago, ped said:

Silly question time because I can’t be bothered to look. I have six presets saved to the pedal which I can see on the desktop editor plus a few others saved. I can’t drag and drop them to switch them to the pedal so how do I put some of them on my pedal memory using the desktop app?

27 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

If you’ve got .pre files locally, use Import. If you want to move an existing preset to another position Save As

At least, that’s what I do!

Just click the burn icon (flame) and select the slot when the menu pops up. There’s really no need to import .pre files locally as you can simply add presets to the “my library” by hitting the download button within the desktop editor and/or the method above to write them to the pedal’s memory. 

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes there is a burn icon on the desktop app;  it is in every patch displayed in the library pane on the right. 

I’ll post a screenshot maybe I have an old version or something; of course it’s entirely possible it’s right in front of me and I’m just being stupid 

• 1 month later...

Question: is it possible to toggle a preset on or off from the neuro app? I can’t see how if so.

I’m sat at my desk, laptop on table, bass on lap, setting output volumes across many presets. Would be nice to toggle engaged/bypassed without moving to pedal board or switching to MC6 MIDI app and sending a preset to do it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Morning all!

Have just bought this pedal, and it sounds great!

I would however like to be able to send midi commands via my hx stomp to the c4 and was just wondering if anyone is using command center in the stomp to send commands to the c4, and if so, what gear are you using. I'd just need to be able recall certain presets for the c4 using the stomp.

Is this possible without forking out a ton of money?

Cheers

Keith

1 hour ago, butlerk02 said:

Morning all!

Have just bought this pedal, and it sounds great!

I would however like to be able to send midi commands via my hx stomp to the c4 and was just wondering if anyone is using command center in the stomp to send commands to the c4, and if so, what gear are you using. I'd just need to be able recall certain presets for the c4 using the stomp.

Is this possible without forking out a ton of money?

Cheers

Keith

Yes that's possible, but you would need a USB Midi host to convert the 5-pin midi output from the HX to USB-midi format (which is what the C4 accepts.) The only commercially available device that does this is the Disaster Area Midi Ghost (as far as I know).

However, if you are comfortable with DIY, you can make your own USB host. I did this very recently and it worked a treat. See my post here: 

You could also put a Source Audio Neuro Hub between the HX and C4, but it's kind of overkill if you just need to change presets on the one pedal.

Edited by AJ567
  • Thanks 1

I've just uploaded my take on the Meridian Funkulator, it's as close as I can get my C4 to sound like one. It's called GMC Meridian Funkulator by Gazzajagman on the Cloud. Use the mix knob for the wet / dry signal. Use the Control 1 for the  -1 Oct (OC-2 sound) and Control 2 for the +1 (octron octave up). Then use the expression to bring in the quacky filter. It's not quite as smooth sounding as the real thing, but it's certainly in the ball park. To my ears, the distortion engine for the Octave up needs to be a Tube Screamer, which isn't available on the C4. All the other parts sound pretty accurate in isolation, except the octave up isn't quite right. I could use my Aftershock in the C4's loop, but that's going to get complicated with the cloud patching. 

• Like 1

A slight tweak to the above patch, nudge the Drive to  28 and the Clean 68 to get the drive sounding similar. I've also analysed the two sounds (C4 patch and my Meridian Funkulator) and I've created an EQ patch for the EQ2 for this sound. So that sits after the C4 patch. To my ears it's sounding pretty close. It's jus the slight difference in the drive model that's less smooth sounding on the Octave up. everything else sounds spot on to my ears. my EQ2 patch is called GMC Funkulator EQ by Gazzajagman  

• Like 1

I’m seriously considering a C4... lots of great info on here and some great patches I’ve heard. I have a question... has anyone successfully used their helix hxfx as a midi controller to switch between the 6 preset blocks? There’s several patches I’d want to use and I’d really like to switch between them with the helix 😃 sorry if this has been asked previously, I didn’t see it . 

Answers on a postcard please..... 

14 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m seriously considering a C4... lots of great info on here and some great patches I’ve heard. I have a question... has anyone successfully used their helix hxfx as a midi controller to switch between the 6 preset blocks? There’s several patches I’d want to use and I’d really like to switch between them with the helix 😃 sorry if this has been asked previously, I didn’t see it . 

If the Helix is capable of sending out MIDI PC and CC messages then it’ll work. (If you’re looking at C4, do also check the Future Impact.)

9 hours ago, bassfan said:

Don’t forget the C4 needs to plug into a USB host (like source audio neuro hub) unless the Helix provides that function. Not a problem but does mean you may need to budget more £££

3 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Don’t forget the C4 needs to plug into a USB host (like source audio neuro hub) unless the Helix provides that function. Not a problem but does mean you may need to budget more £££

So I can’t connect helix to c4 via a midi cable to toggle through the 6 presets? 

Don’t know the Helix but my guess is it’s not a simple plug and play job, suspect you need an additional USB host box. Plus the connection into the C4 is a TRRS mini jack, not a 5 pin din type midi plug. This thread looks useful: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/c4-synth-and-line-6-helix-compatibility.1479600/?amp=1600157254

• Thanks 1

Bought my C4 over the weekend and awaiting delivery, can’t wait after reading and listening all about it

any beginners tips much appreciated, look forward to playing with it 

might put my octavius squeezer up for sale though...

Cheers in advance guys

Edited by carlitos71

23 minutes ago, carlitos71 said:

Bought my C4 over the weekend and awaiting delivery, can’t wait after reading and listening all about it

Cheers in advance guys

Put some time aside

Go through the 6 presets and stop on your least favourite one

- plug into your mobile or tablet and scroll through and when you click upload a new sound it will go to the location of where you are which is the least fave.

When you hear a sound from the community you like or think can work with, save to your favourites.

When you see someone who makes lots of sounds you like follow them and access their catalogue quickly.

Once you have a load of favourites you can then work through them and weed out any ones not quite what you want.

Now you have a bank of sounds.

Look at how they created them and tweak dials to your choice either on pedal or on screen or both.

Take the step of making your own sounds.

If you need more than the 6 storage positions or want to access things on the fly a bit better then consider a midi pedal for the 128 presets stored

Thats about it - it’s fun

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, carlitos71 said:

Cheers in advance guys

Check out Zach Rizers walk-through of the editor (video on YouTube).

I’ve made an instruction template tutorial. There’s a patch with a link in the description to a text-based tutorial which explains a reasonable amount of the essential controls to get you started.

When downloading others’ sounds, remember that you’ll need to adjust the input and output levels to your instrument and resave it, otherwise it may be overly loud or quiet.

Octavius Squeezer is a pedal I’ve always wanted to try (though it looks like a pain to program).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Put some time aside

Go through the 6 presets and stop on your least favourite one

- plug into your mobile or tablet and scroll through and when you click upload a new sound it will go to the location of where you are which is the least fave.

When you hear a sound from the community you like or think can work with, save to your favourites.

When you see someone who makes lots of sounds you like follow them and access their catalogue quickly.

Once you have a load of favourites you can then work through them and weed out any ones not quite what you want.

Now you have a bank of sounds.

Look at how they created them and tweak dials to your choice either on pedal or on screen or both.

Take the step of making your own sounds.

If you need more than the 6 storage positions or want to access things on the fly a bit better then consider a midi pedal for the 128 presets stored

Thats about it - it’s fun

Wow great answer! Thanks a lot, much appreciated, will try as suggested

Something else I’m wondering about is about an expression pedal to use with the C4 to modulate stuff, etc and wonder if there is a thread for that or what is your opinion on it (is it worth it? Useful? How easy to set up? Which ones work best? Etc)

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Check out Zach Rizers walk-through of the editor (video on YouTube).

I’ve made an instruction template tutorial. There’s a patch with a link in the description to a text-based tutorial which explains a reasonable amount of the essential controls to get you started.

When downloading others’ sounds, remember that you’ll need to adjust the input and output levels to your instrument and resave it, otherwise it may be overly loud or quiet.

Octavius Squeezer is a pedal I’ve always wanted to try (though it looks like a pain to program).

Thanks a lot for tips, I knew you were going to come up with some good advice!

where is your tutorial and template? Definately interested in checking them. 
In relation to the squeezer, definately a good pedal but not as easy to program but...

where you based @Quatschmacher ? I would consider lending you the squeezer to try, maybe swap for something...

1 minute ago, carlitos71 said:

Wow great answer! Thanks a lot, much appreciated, will try as suggested

Something else I’m wondering about is about an expression pedal to use with the C4 to modulate stuff, etc and wonder if there is a thread for that or what is your opinion on it (is it worth it? Useful? How easy to set up? Which ones work best? Etc)

If you want to do it without extra gear then Source Audio’s Dual Expression plugs straight into the control port. 

Do you already own a MIDI switcher and have something that can act as USB MIDI host? If not, you’ll need to get one in order to access presets 7-128.

I’d recommend getting the SA Hub and a Morningstar controller.

There are other options from Disaster Area which do simple preset switching, a few programmable MIDI commands and act as a host. 

Both the above allow you to plug any expression pedal into the controller and send signals to the C4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlitos71 said:

Thanks a lot for tips, I knew you were going to come up with some good advice!

where is your tutorial and template? Definately interested in checking them. 
In relation to the squeezer, definately a good pedal but not as easy to program but...

where you based @Quatschmacher ? I would consider lending you the squeezer to try, maybe swap for something...

That’s very kind of you, thanks. I’m in Sheffield. I’d be happy to give you a lesson or two on the C4 to return the favour. (I did this for @dodge_bass via video chat and it worked reasonably well.)

Here’s my tutorial patch:

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/preset/DyV1RQhBhF

• Like 3

Thanks for replies @Quatschmacher much appreciated 

Let me get the pedal and see how I get on and might take your kind offer after I get the basics of whats going to get the max out of it, would like to get most out of it before spending any more on more gear!

Perhaps we can chat about the squeezer when we do the lesson! Or open to suggestions specially if you any gear to swap temporally to try... 

• Like 1