Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

7 minutes ago, ped said:

I've used the app with my old iPad which has a headphone jack - but what if you have a newer phone without one?

I'm using a bluetooth dongle which is on the pedalboard permanently. Works great. Wireless access to all presets under the sun and one click to load them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ567 said:

That's what I mean - I seem to be able to use c4 patches on the spectrum, which is new!

Really? That hasn’t been announced. If you can, then that’s great news. I’ll check tonight but am sceptical. I had been asking about this as there are certain C4 patches which only use parameters common to it and Spectrum but Jesse told me it would be difficult to implement. Only the ability to load Spectrum patches into C4 was possible.

For many of my C4 patches, I specifically went back and recreated them on Spectrum so that users could access them. 

The key test will be whether clicking on a patch which has a picture of the C4 will load on a Spectrum. I suspect not, but I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Yep, it works! Right now I'm happily comparing your 'Pony' patches (C4) with my own one (Spectrum)...!

Curiously, it only works if I access the 'community' preset library in a certain way. I have to click on the spectrum photo in the home screen so that I go to the editor page, then select browse in the bottom right corner. If I go straight to 'browse' from the home screen, it doesn't work.

In case it's relevant, I'm on Android.

A theory - Spectrum and C4 are actually the same pedal under the hood (like the LA Lady/Aftershock/Kingmaker) but Source Audio have put some firmware in place to lock out Spectrum users from certain features, so that they can offer two pedals at different price points... and I've stumbled on a workaround...?!

Edited by AJ567

1 hour ago, AJ567 said:

Yep, it works! Right now I'm happily comparing your 'Pony' patches (C4) with my own one (Spectrum)...!

Curiously, it only works if I access the 'community' preset library in a certain way. I have to click on the spectrum photo in the home screen so that I go to the editor page, then select browse in the bottom right corner. If I go straight to 'browse' from the home screen, it doesn't work.

In case it's relevant, I'm on Android.

A theory - Spectrum and C4 are actually the same pedal under the hood (like the LA Lady/Aftershock/Kingmaker) but Source Audio have put some firmware in place to lock out Spectrum users from certain features, so that they can offer two pedals at different price points... and I've stumbled on a workaround...?!

They were originally going to be identical (in the same way the fuzz and modulation pedals are) other than the hardware knobs but late on in the development they decided to pare down the features on Spectrum.

When you click on the Spectrum photo first, that should be filtering for Spectrum-only presets. 

I’ll take a proper look tonight.

Just had a look on the mobile app and you are correct that C4 presets are appearing in the list. What will be the test will be what happens when I try to load one into spectrum that uses features not found in spectrum such as the square wave oscillator. 

@AJ567, what happens when you try to load the patch “PWM” by jbharms1? That sound is composed purely of square waves. Does it work on your Spectrum?

Edited by Quatschmacher

57 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

They were originally going to be identical (in the same way the fuzz and modulation pedals are) other than the hardware knobs but late on in the development they decided to pare down the features on Spectrum.

When you click on the Spectrum photo first, that should be filtering for Spectrum-only presets. 

I’ll take a proper look tonight.

Just had a look on the mobile app and you are correct that C4 presets are appearing in the list. What will be the test will be what happens when I try to load one into spectrum that uses features not found in spectrum such as the square wave oscillator. 

@AJ567, what happens when you try to load the patch “PWM” by jbharms1? That sound is composed purely of square waves. Does it work on your Spectrum?

Yep, "PWM" works, I can edit it and everything!

This is fun! Happy camper over here... 

31 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

And can you hear it?

Haha, yes I can hear it. I mean, I can't know for sure that it sounds the same as it does on the C4, but what I am hearing does indeed sound like some square waves combined. No obvious problems, either on this one or any other C4 patch

1 hour ago, AJ567 said:

Haha, yes I can hear it. I mean, I can't know for sure that it sounds the same as it does on the C4, but what I am hearing does indeed sound like some square waves combined. No obvious problems, either on this one or any other C4 patch

Are you doing this via the mobile editor with an audio cable into input 2?

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You are quite right, sir! Some of the patches don’t work properly though, particularly some of the FM stuff, but there are plenty that do. Nice bonus. 

Cool! Do you think this is an intentional update that SA have just kept quiet about?

16 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

Cool! Do you think this is an intentional update that SA have just kept quiet about?

No, it’s a fault and will get “fixed”, sorry. The problem is that it won’t correctly load certain patches and may well lock up your pedal with certain settings and I’m sure they don’t want that to happen to users mid-gig or mid-recording. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

What midi setup controls do you guys have? I'm trying to think what to set on my DMC.micro...

All I've got so far is the micro scrolling through presets, holding left to bypass the C4, then I've got UTIL set up for tap tempo on the right side. But that leaves the left side, any suggestions what I should map it to?

12 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

What midi setup controls do you guys have? I'm trying to think what to set on my DMC.micro...

All I've got so far is the micro scrolling through presets, holding left to bypass the C4, then I've got UTIL set up for tap tempo on the right side. But that leaves the left side, any suggestions what I should map it to?

Probably best for you to think of what you’d like to be able to do and go from there. Does the UTIL only spit out a single CC?

42 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Probably best for you to think of what you’d like to be able to do and go from there. Does the UTIL only spit out a single CC?

Yea I think so. There's so many CC options on the C4, I just wondered what others were doing. I've got one for tap tempo, no idea what I should make the other one

36 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

Yea I think so. There's so many CC options on the C4, I just wondered what others were doing. I've got one for tap tempo, no idea what I should make the other one

Some suggestions:

Filter envelope invert

Voice 1, 2 3 or 4 on/off (useful if you always program dry bass to a particular voice).

MIDI clock sync on/off

Midi clock subdivisions

LFO 1/2 ratio

mix 2 on/off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Some suggestions:

Filter envelope invert

Voice 1, 2 3 or 4 on/off (useful if you always program dry bass to a particular voice).

MIDI clock sync on/off

Midi clock subdivisions

LFO 1/2 ratio

mix 2 on/off.

Thanks for the help

Silly question time because I can’t be bothered to look. I have six presets saved to the pedal which I can see on the desktop editor plus a few others saved. I can’t drag and drop them to switch them to the pedal so how do I put some of them on my pedal memory using the desktop app?