Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

On 24/08/2020 at 23:32, Quatschmacher said:

Just finished porting the Okto Nøjs presets I made for C4 to Spectrum and publishing them. Hope you enjoy them.

Okto Nojs/Chromatron is a recent addition to my pedal, along with the Tom Sawyer 2. Some great work there, good sir! Thanks! 😁

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Thanks.... I’ll have a look and see what’s to be done. Another £100 on a SA hub starting to make this very pricey!

Totally worth it though if you plan on adding another SA pedal; even if not as it’ll give you expression control too which is a powerful thing. Their “scene” functionality is so good. You can get a used Hub for about £50 if you look around. 

On 09/10/2020 at 00:58, Quatschmacher said:

Totally worth it though if you plan on adding another SA pedal; even if not as it’ll give you expression control too which is a powerful thing. Their “scene” functionality is so good. You can get a used Hub for about £50 if you look around. 

I wasn't aware that the MC6 couldn't be connected directly to the C4 via USB without an additional purchase.  So that means the lack of a basic MIDI port iin this pedal s now worth £180 (MC6) + £50-100 (hub) which is borderline insane.  And the pedal doesn't offer all the features of a basic sequencer...(hopefully...yet).

On 11/10/2020 at 13:22, Kiwi said:

I wasn't aware that the MC6 couldn't be connected directly to the C4 via USB without an additional purchase.  So that means the lack of a basic MIDI port iin this pedal s now worth £180 (MC6) + £50-100 (hub) which is borderline insane.  And the pedal doesn't offer all the features of a basic sequencer...(hopefully...yet).

Depends what you want out of it, I guess.  6 patches would probably be enough for a lot of people, so they wouldn't need to expand to 128. However, there's a lot of goodies to be had from the patches that people have uploaded, and lots of fun to be had from creating your own.  Plus, many of the C4 patches could potentially cover a lot of the pedals that you already have on your board, which you could sell and recoup your money.  The 'Save Scene' function is a bit of a winner for me.  It's not for everyone, but when you consider what people are prepared to pay for a bass, it's not that much.

52 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Thanks a million for this man! The fact that you've not only spent your time on this but are so willing to share it is hugely generous and very much appreciated! 

Yup. Brilliant. Just been working through it. It's all making a tiny bit more sense! :)

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 02:57, odysseus said:

Depends what you want out of it, I guess.  6 patches would probably be enough for a lot of people, so they wouldn't need to expand to 128. However, there's a lot of goodies to be had from the patches that people have uploaded, and lots of fun to be had from creating your own.  Plus, many of the C4 patches could potentially cover a lot of the pedals that you already have on your board, which you could sell and recoup your money.  The 'Save Scene' function is a bit of a winner for me.  It's not for everyone, but when you consider what people are prepared to pay for a bass, it's not that much.

I'd suggest anyone stumping up for this pedal has already made a commitment to using it above and beyond 6 patches.

My set up is also smaller than many non-synth boards. - no overdrive and only two modulation pedals (ne for each side chain).  Anyway, it's all moot.  Roger Smith has stated there's no space left on the C4 now for any of the improvements I'm seeking.  So I'm probably going to sell mine as soon as possible as it doesn't do the job I bought it for.

8 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I'd suggest anyone stumping up for this pedal has already made a commitment to using it above and beyond 6 patches.

My set up is also smaller than many non-synth boards. - no overdrive and only two modulation pedals (ne for each side chain).  Anyway, it's all moot.  Roger Smith has stated there's no space left on the C4 now for any of the improvements I'm seeking.  So I'm probably going to sell mine as soon as possible as it doesn't do the job I bought it for.

What improvements were those?

On 11/10/2020 at 13:59, thisisswanbon said:

Looks like I have a C4 incoming! 😁. Am I right in thinking you have access to 6 presets without using a midi controller? In an ideal world I'll have a standard gated fuzz/synth, a normal envelope filter, a patch with the two together... And then 3 left over for experimenting!

YEs, the six original can be replaced by your own presets (with the neuro pc software or the phone app). That's what I did because the six factory presets are not my taste (apart the octaver). 

A factory reset (from the app or pc) will restore these presets. 

In fact that was my initial plan... then I bought a soleman, a neurohub and an aftershock is on its way 🙂 you've been warned 🙂

1 hour ago, chris7273 said:

YEs, the six original can be replaced by your own presets (with the neuro pc software or the phone app). That's what I did because the six factory presets are not my taste (apart the octaver). 

A factory reset (from the app or pc) will restore these presets. 

In fact that was my initial plan... then I bought a soleman, a neurohub and an aftershock is on its way 🙂 you've been warned 🙂

Yeah, I replaced all the presets with goodies uploaded by other users.  There's a lot of stuff to wade through, but some real gems among it all..

Just received an Aftershock a couple of days ago.  I really like it, and I've replaced my Big Muff and Darkglass B7K with it.  So far so good!

My C4 arrived!!! I've spent ages playing through your patches @Quatschmacher! They're tremendously fun! Admittedly I'm in over my head with the editor though, even with your tutorial! I've spent hours now trying to match both bonkers by dizzee rascal and omen by prodigy and can't get near them! 😔

Edited by thisisswanbon
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

My C4 arrived!!! I've spent ages playing through your patches @Quatschmacher! They're tremendously fun! Admittedly I'm in over my head with the editor though, even with your tutorial! I've spent hours now trying to match both bonkers by dizzee rascal and omen by prodigy and can't get best them! 😔

Are you familiar with synthesis to any degree already? If not, check out the following link and it should make the editor make more sense.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com

Glad you’re enjoying the patches. Check out the Spectrum patches too as they work on C4. Also, remember to adjust the input knob on any user patches you click on to set the correct level for your bass; the manual tells you how to do this properly.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Are you familiar with synthesis to any degree already? If not, check out the following link and it should make the editor make more sense.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com

Glad you’re enjoying the patches. Check out the Spectrum patches too as they work on C4. Also, remember to adjust the input knob on any user patches you click on to set the correct level for your bass; the manual tells you how to do this properly.

I literally have no clue with synthesis... Guess I've jumped in at the deep end! That website is great though, I've been going through it all morning! Still not sure how to shape the envelopes on the C4 or get it all super gated, but it's not like I haven't got plenty time to experiment!

I've got a couple of your spectrum patches downloaded on my C4 already, don't miss my BEF at all! 😁

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I literally have no clue with synthesis... Guess I've jumped in at the deep end! That website is great though, I've been going through it all morning! Still not sure how to shape the envelopes on the C4 or get it all super gated, but it's not like I haven't got plenty time to experiment!

I've got a couple of your spectrum patches downloaded on my C4 already, don't miss my BEF at all! 😁

Glad it was useful, it really is an awesome resource and fun. 

Envelopes on C4 are not true ADSR, rather a set of pre-defined shapes where you can alter either the attack, the decay or both via the envelope speed knob. The sensitivity knob adjusts how much envelope depth reacts to playing dynamics. The filter depth knob controls how much the cutoff is affected by the corresponding envelope. Frequency moves the starting cutoff value. 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 16:45, Quatschmacher said:

Glad it was useful, it really is an awesome resource and fun. 

Envelopes on C4 are not true ADSR, rather a set of pre-defined shapes where you can alter either the attack, the decay or both via the envelope speed knob. The sensitivity knob adjusts how much envelope depth reacts to playing dynamics. The filter depth knob controls how much the cutoff is affected by the corresponding envelope. Frequency moves the starting cutoff value. 

Again, your help has been invaluable! Thanks so much!

I felt like I was getting somewhere with patch making last night, things seem to be taking shape. it's a shame you can't run two different drives at once like you can the filters... Ended up running it into my alpha Omicron to add a bit dirt.

17 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

This is well worth watching too.... long and detailed BUT play along. Hit pause. Save the preset.

I found this invaluable when working out how to build a sound from scratch!

I've watched this a few times, also a great help! I feel like C4 should employ him to make a full instructional video!