Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Band has been recording some tunes so I've been preoccupied with that and bass rebuilding. Can't wait to get back to my synth pedal. Enormous fun and the sounds are just amazing.

Edited by stewblack

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, scannerman said:

Makes a nice change to 'normal' effects.  

Don't know whether to get the soleman or can you link to a Helix Stomp for patch access??

If Stomp is capable of sending MIDI PC and CC messages then it can be used. Am I right in thinking it also has USB host capabilities? If so it should be able to interface directly with C4 via USB.

I really really tried to get usb midi to work between the C4 and the stomp. The only way I could manage it was with a midi host that they both plugged into. I used a spare raspberry pi i had sitting in a drawer.

https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

and that got the 2 of them talking together. 

The next bit was to shuffle all my patches onto 001, 002, 003, 004 etc and then shuffle whatever I wanted to correspond with a patch on the c4 into the relevant place. The C4 counts from 000 and the stomp counts from 001 so a nice excel spreadsheet saved me from going cross-eyed.

As long as you have turned usb midi on in global settings on the stomp, when you select a patch it sends out that patch number as the PC midi message so patch 003 tells the C4 to change to patch 002.

This would be fine for home use but there is no way I would trust it live (remember live?) Unfortunately I couldn't find a commercial product that wasn't really expensive so sadly the C4 had to go back. It makes some absolutely wonderful sounds and the work that Quatscmacher is doing and sharing on neuro is brilliant but I couldn't justify a Morningstar or the disaster area thingy to go with it for 3 or 4 songs. 
£249 for the C4 and another £220 for the Morningstar C6 is almost a third of the way to a Dingwall!

I just posted this on TB and thought it might benefit users here too:

I've created a starting template for the C4 which should make it easy to start exploring a few settings and hearing what they do. The patch can be downloaded here:

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/preset/DyV1RQhBhF

In this I have created a relatively simple setup from which you can explore various things. I've set it up to use only a single processor and a single 4-pole lowpass filter. Distortion is disabled.

For the square and saw waves, I have used a simple "snappy" envelope shape on envelope 1 which gets the closest to a simple on/off "keyboard gate"-style envelope.

For the purposes of this, do not touch the envelope 1 settings at all.

Voice 1 is just dry input routed to the filter, controlled by envelope 2.
Voice 2 is a saw wave routed to the filter, controlled by envelope 2.
Voice 3 is a square wave routed to the filter, controlled by envelope 2.
Voice 4 is a sine wave routed directly out (not to the filter). Instead the FM amount from sine wave 2 (not visible) is controlled by envelope 2. The reason for this is that the modulation contour will behave the same as the other voices, even though it is controlling a different parameter. It will still give the illusion of a filter opening and closing as the altering FM amount first adds, then subtracts higher frequencies.

When you first load the patch, only voice 1 is active.

First play around with the envelope 2 speed and sensitivity and switch between voices 1-4 individually to hear how it affects them.

Then for voices 1-3, start playing with the filter 1 depth, frequency and Q settings, as well as the filter pitch track options to hear their effects.

For voice 4, play around with the FM knob.

That should be enough to get you started. I might add more at a later date to cover the LFO and how changing the oscillator pitch relationships affects the sound of voice 4 when using FM.

Hope that is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi chaps.  Just made my first serious foray into the C4. Wow!  Loads of great sounds available through Neuro.... many of them created by your good self, Mr. Quatchmacher!  (I enjoyed the Tom Sawyers!)

So... I'm going to get a Hub to make the most of it. What is my best option for a footswitch?  Am I better off going straight for the Soleman or could I get by with something a little cheaper?

Any advice gratefully received!

• Thanks 1