Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

22 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You could follow his advice and read the manual and open the editor (you don’t need to own a C4 to do that). It’s what the rest of us are having to do to figure this stuff out. Roger didn’t design the pedal so still has to defer to Bob for answers. 

Good to know that you can do that without owning a C4.

The SY-1 was a little less effort to on this one point. From the website:

"But with the send/return loop and dedicated mix controls, it’s also possible to blend one or more pedals in parallel"  Job done.

Now wouldn't it be great if SA could just tell you with a simple "yes" or "no" whether you can loop in parallel without having to download PC software on a pedal you don't even own (which I won't be doing btw)! But hey, I'm just a simple bass player and someone who currently owns 3 bits of SA gear, so no point pandering to the likes of me, eh...😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good to know that you can do that without owning a C4.

The SY-1 was a little less effort to on this one point. From the website:

"But with the send/return loop and dedicated mix controls, it’s also possible to blend one or more pedals in parallel"  Job done.

Now wouldn't it be great if SA could just tell you with a simple "yes" or "no" whether you can loop in parallel without having to download PC software on a pedal you don't even own (which I won't be doing btw)! But hey, I'm just a simple bass player and someone who currently owns 3 bits of SA gear, so no point pandering to the likes of me, eh...😂

That’s because the SY-1 dual inputs serve only one function whereas the C4 has loads of choices. 

I think I’ve figured out how to do it but won’t be able to say for definite until I’m home.  

27 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

That’s because the SY-1 dual inputs serve only one function whereas the C4 has loads of choices. 

I think I’ve figured out how to do it but won’t be able to say for definite until I’m home.  

Good man! 

PS there are a few C4 owners on TB who seem to have tried to get their heads around this issue and given up... might be worth you checking the most recent posts on the TB C4 thread to see if what you're proposing is a more usable solution than theirs. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Good man! 

PS there are a few C4 owners on TB who seem to have tried to get their heads around this issue and given up... might be worth you checking the most recent posts on the TB C4 thread to see if what you're proposing is a more usable solution than theirs. 

I’ve managed it!

Edited by Quatschmacher

15 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve managed it!

Well if anyone was going to figure this out...😀

Make sure to share it on the TB thread as well as here, as there will be a lot of folk interested in your solution, particularly if it is relatively easy to do.

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well if anyone was going to figure this out...😀

Make sure to share it on the TB thread as well as here, as there will be a lot of folk interested in your solution, particularly if it is relatively easy to do.

Already done.

It did take a bit of thinking about while I was at work.

The patch is here:

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/preset/PBpBeiOGJB

Edited by Quatschmacher

Just checked on TB...and yours still suffers from not being able to access the pedals in the loop when the C4 is bypassed. 

Appreciate the thinking that went into it, though - definitely not something your average (or even way above average!) Jo bassist could have come up with. 

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just checked on TB...and yours still suffers from not being able to access the pedals in the loop when the C4 is bypassed. 

Appreciate the thinking that went into it, though - definitely not something your average (or even way above average!) Jo bassist could have come up with. 

This is a non issue.

Just set a clean patch with loop only. As said before.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Fair i.e. you need two separate patches one to run Qs parallel loop and a second with clean patch and loop only.

yes.

i would think most C4 users will have midi capability, and therefore a patch for a loop wont come at a great cost. those that dont.... well they would have to use one of their 6 pressets

Edited by GisserD

Peter's parallel patch for the C4 (or PPP4 for short).

Set the routing option to “dual input 1&2”

Master output balance at noon.

Hard pan Voice 1 to processor 1. Set destination to filter only.

Hard pan Voice 2 to processor 2. Set destination to “direct output”.

Hard pan Voice 3 to processor 1. Set destination to “direct output”

Set Mix 1 destination to “output 1 only”.

Set Mix 2 destination to “output 2 only”.

Set up a synth sound on voice 1, e.g. “Saw 1” and set up envelope and filter to your liking.

Plug your instrument into input 1.

Plug output 1 into your amp.

Plug output 2 into your external effect in.

Plug your external effect out into C4 input 2.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Peter's parallel patch for the C4 (or PPP4 for short).

Set the routing option to “dual input 1&2”

Master output balance at noon.

Hard pan Voice 1 to processor 1. Set destination to filter only.

Hard pan Voice 2 to processor 2. Set destination to “direct output”.

Hard pan Voice 3 to processor 1. Set destination to “direct output”

Set Mix 1 destination to “output 1 only”.

Set Mix 2 destination to “output 2 only”.

Set up a synth sound on voice 1, e.g. “Saw 1” and set up envelope and filter to your liking.

Plug your instrument into input 1.

Plug output 1 into your amp.

Plug output 2 into your external effect in.

Plug your external effect out into C4 input 2.

i assume thats a quote from Peter....

and exactly the kind of content i expect only to be available for patreons!

obviousy its only a matter of time before the content is sharedsomwhere... but patreons will have an invested interest in it not doing so. anyway its about creating a reason to be a patreon, the content itself is just a means to an end.

rant over.

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

i assume that's a quote from Peter....

Yeah the clue's in the header: 'Peter's parallel patch...' 😉

It's already publicly available on TB to a much wider C4 audience than on here.

There's two parts to getting followers and one is building a reputation. Sometimes you have to give away freebie's to get folks' attention / buy in. There's this chap called Scott who seems to get the balance right and generates £2M+ turnover. Not too shabby for a bass player with a dodgy hand.

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

i assume thats a quote from Peter....

and exactly the kind of content i expect only to be available for patreons!

obviousy its only a matter of time before the content is sharedsomwhere... but patreons will have an invested interest in it not doing so. anyway its about creating a reason to be a patreon, the content itself is just a means to an end.

rant over.

I’m fairness I did post it to TB and uploaded the patch to the cloud. 

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m fairness I did post it to TB and uploaded the patch to the cloud. 

I think I've been misunderstood. I'm suggesting that you withhold some of these nuggets for patrons. To inspire people to become a patreon. Build the brand!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can I just comment on the fact that the C4 is also an awesome Envelope filter pedal? In combination with my Cog T47 this thing just oozes da funk.

And yes, I still use an analogue Octaver, even though the OC2 can be closely approximated on both FI and C4.

And yes, you need to use a midi switcher for the C4. It has really opened up possibilities.

Edited by HazBeen

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I manage that close enough with a Digitech BSW!

That's cool, but I don't have a BSW and am unlikely to get one. The C4 looked more versatile and I liked the idea of potentially using the expression pedal to do some pitch bends (if possible) like on the original deeper underground recording.