Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

Has anyone compared the octave down sound to an OC2 yet? I'm very interested in this being able to replace several pedals (PS6, MF101, Manta possibly - depending on the peak filter options and maybe even the OC2). I use MIDI a lot playing live and a loop switcher, so there could really be a lot of scope provided I can get the signature sounds I need.

3 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Has anyone compared the octave down sound to an OC2 yet? I'm very interested in this being able to replace several pedals (PS6, MF101, Manta possibly - depending on the peak filter options and maybe even the OC2). I use MIDI a lot playing live and a loop switcher, so there could really be a lot of scope provided I can get the signature sounds I need.

Have you tried my patches yet? I did an OC-2 ish thing, though it may not be honky enough. I used a filtered square wave. Others have used the monophonic pitch shift with a bit of filtering. 

I also posted an MF101-inspired patch. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

20 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Have you tried my patches yet? I did an OC-2 ish thing, though it may not be honky enough. I used a filtered square wave. Others have used the monophonic pitch shift with a bit of filtering. 

I also posted an MF101-inspired patch. 

I haven't got one yet. I'm waiting for all the excitement to die down and some longer term view to emerge. They still seem to be tweaking firmware too. 

17 minutes ago, GisserD said:

The Enzo programming on the fly ability kicks ALL synth pedals to the dirt tho.

Definitely an important feature!

I suspect the incoming Boss SY-1 is going to make that easier still for those of us not inclined to have to resort to deep PC editing each time we want to tweak our synth sound.

11 minutes ago, GisserD said:

You can't program the sy1. Only ajust predefined parameters. 

And that's exactly what I love about it! 😎 

121 very easy to access presets should just about be enough to find two or three I really like...

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Definitely an important feature!

I suspect the incoming Boss SY-1 is going to make that easier still for those of us not inclined to have to resort to deep PC editing each time we want to tweak our synth sound.

You can get that with C4 too. You can assign almost any two parameters (hopefully soon to be four) to the control knobs so can have whatever variations you like within a preset. Furthermore, you can assign up to three other parameters to external control (expression, hot hand or whatever), and specify a high and low range limit for each. So deep editing isn’t needed. Pretty much all the presets I’ve programmed so far take advantage of this. 

@GisserD have you tried any of mine yet?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

You can get that with C4 too. You can assign almost any two parameters (hopefully soon to be four) to the control knobs so can have whatever variations you like within a preset. Furthermore, you can assign up to three other parameters to external control (expression, hot hand or whatever), and specify a high and low range limit for each. So deep editing isn’t needed. Pretty much all the presets I’ve programmed so far take advantage of this. 

@GisserD have you tried any of mine yet?

I have flicked through a couple. Very nice! I'm hoping to spend more time playing next week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

I have flicked through a couple. Very nice! I'm hoping to spend more time playing next week.

I’m torn now. I think I’m going to get back on programming some more Future Impact patches as I need to do some serious bug testing. Though I might try a few C4 patches too.

Must admit that I am generally leeching somewhat with this preset community as a lot of this is entirely beyond me.  I miss the simplicity of the Deep Impact still 😂 I am finding making a patch from scratch quite difficult.

I have seen two but I thought I read somewhere that someone was working on doing a preset mimicking the Deep Impacts 9 voices?

Also, I am looking for a good set of envelope filter sounds; I loved the presets on the Soundblox unit but again I’m struggling to dial in my own, finding it difficult to set sensitivity/depth etc.

7 hours ago, Kev said:

Must admit that I am generally leeching somewhat with this preset community as a lot of this is entirely beyond me.

I'm sure that both the FI and C4 are the more 'capable' synth engines but if you're into ease of use and being able to dial in something quickly and intuitively 'on the fly' then the more user friendly Boss SY-1 may be the better option for you. I'm looking forward to mine landing hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Btw - the FI has the 9 presets of the Deep Impact as the first 9 of its 99 stock presets; it's a big step up from its (often ridiculously over-priced!) predecessor!

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

I'm sure that both the FI and C4 are the more 'capable' synth engines but if you're into ease of use and being able to dial in something quickly and intuitively 'on the fly' then the more user friendly Boss SY-1 may be the better option for you. I'm looking forward to mine landing hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Btw - the FI has the 9 presets of the Deep Impact as the first 9 of its 99 stock presets; it's a big step up from its (often ridiculously over-priced!) predecessor!

I’d be interested to try an FI with the updated firmware as I found the tracking awful on the one I had, but editing via midi with that quite nasty interface compared to the slickness of the Source audio software and USB is a no brainer for me. 

and, unfortunately, I’ll forever associate boss with the sounds the Syb-3 made! 😂

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

and, unfortunately, I’ll forever associate boss with the sounds the Syb-3 made! 

Haha...well if you're going to be mentally stuck in 23 year old synth tech, that's your call. There are a few clips already of the SY-1 on the SY-1 thread that will bring you up to date. I'll best stop the thread hijack now though... 😄 

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I’d be interested to try an FI with the updated firmware as I found the tracking awful on the one I had, but editing via midi with that quite nasty interface compared to the slickness of the Source audio software and USB is a no brainer for me. 

and, unfortunately, I’ll forever associate boss with the sounds the Syb-3 made! 😂

The interface isn’t nasty. It’s actually pretty well laid out (and it will be a bit clearer in the next release as I’m pushing (as far as I can) to get the things I found confusing about it cleaned up). One needs to know a bit about what one is doing to get the best out of it. 

Admittedly the patch transfer is cumbersome (especially compared to SA) and is something that has been recognised as needing to be improved in a later release. 

Tracking is definitely not awful. The latest release improves it even further. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 2

On 10/08/2019 at 16:28, radiophonic said:

Check the demos I posted above to see.