Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

i think it's about time we started getting excited about this...

They have started releasing pictures and a bass demo on their instagram, and it looks like they are going with the small one series format. Id have preferred a large format, but if the depth/range of their other pedals is anything to go by, its going to be awesome! 

pedal1.JPG.0a82518fa7aa4bb48eef4f95d13489a3.JPG

pedal2.JPG.dd1ce8023e13bafb1c6ab086b3af49e1.JPG

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 2

I've just worked out exactly which pedal this is going to bump off my pedal board, whilst at the same time managing to justify keeping my neurohub and midi control pedal 😄

I know some bass pedal makers don't feel they need to take account of the requirements of gigging bassists by making pedals that are either outlandishly large, expensive or, where there is the possibility of multiple live use settings, don't have presets. (Some manage to fall foul of all three in one go!). Well, they end up paying the price for ignoring the needs of their potential customers by not selling many pedals!

I'm glad Source Audio don't fall into that category and, yup, I'm looking forward to finding out a lot more about this pedal and its capabilities 😎

Edited by Al Krow

The manta can't do anything like what's in the Instagram demo so I'm fairly sure it's a completely new engine. Although it is likely to cover some of the filter features of the manta.

On the face of it, it appears to be a dedicated pitch tracking, oscillator based synth pedal.

Future impact killer??? 😮

Well I'm glad it's not simply the Manta being put in a different box. If that was the case, then my credit card would quickly be put away. 

FI killer? I think it may struggle to do that for a variety of reasons. 

What it is more likely to do is render the Meris Enzo stillborn. (Has anyone on BC actually bought one of these?)

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well I'm glad it's not simply the Manta being put in a different box. If that was the case, then my credit card would quickly be put away. 

FI killer? I think it may struggle to do that for a variety of reasons. 

What it is more likely to do is render the Meris Enzo stillborn. (Has anyone on BC actually bought one of these?)

@Embra has an Enzo.

I don’t think this (SA C4) is too much in competition with the FI as the FI goes a lot deeper in terms of number of oscillators and waveforms; the new update will add significantly to the options available for modulation routing.

The Enzo still offers options not likely to be included on the new SA pedals. What makes the SA appealing is that there’ll be finer control over the envelopes. I think I’ll leave my little PayPal pot alone until this comes out. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

@Embra has an Enzo.

I don’t think this is too much in competition with the FI as the FI goes a lot deeper in terms of number of oscillators and waveforms; the new update will add significantly to the options available for modulation routing.

The Enzo still offers options not likely to be included on the new SA pedals. What makes the SA appealing is that there’ll be finer control over the envelopes. I think I’ll leave my little PayPal pot alone until this comes out. 

Yes, I have one (sold my FI to Quatschmacher); I'm still learning to use it but straight out of the box I you can get some great sounds and it's easy to hook up to a midi controller (DA DMC.micro) with a mono patch cable (which means I can tweak and save presets). It's small (well, compared to the FI), easy to fit on a smallish board and gives me enough very good synth sounds for me to use with the band. Tracking is very good for some sounds, OK for others. I mainly use it in mono mode as well. The octave sounds are nice and contrast enough with my Octobvre to justify keeping both. Overall, the FI is a better pedal, but for me, more than I need.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Embra said:

Yes, I have one (sold my FI to Quatschmacher); I'm still learning to use it but straight out of the box I you can get some great sounds and it's easy to hook up to a midi controller (DA DMC.micro) with a mono patch cable (which means I can tweak and save presets). It's small (well, compared to the FI), easy to fit on a smallish board and gives me enough very good synth sounds for me to use with the band. Tracking is very good for some sounds, OK for others. I mainly use it in mono mode as well. The octave sounds are nice and contrast enough with my Octobvre to justify keeping both. Overall, the FI is a better pedal, but for me, more than I need.

Thanks for sharing that.  

Edited by Al Krow

One thing it does have that FI doesn't is an arpeggiator. 

There is a LOT going on under that bonnet, it does look good!

(And dare I say a lot more going on than the recently released GlouGlou but at 1/4 the size. Just sayin'!) 

Edited by Al Krow

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

One thing it does have that FI doesn't is an arpeggiator. 

There is a LOT going on under that bonnet, it does look good!

(And dare I say a lot more going on than the recently released GlouGlou but at 1/4 the size. Just sayin'!) 

The Glou Glou is an analogue pedal and those tend to have a bigger foot print and fewer features compared to digital pedals. Probably a bit harsh to make the comparison between GG and SA in terms of their design goals and resources.

*edit* actually I may be wrong on that. I think one of their pedal I’ve used was analogue but not sure if the pralines is now I think about it.

Edited by krispn

1 minute ago, krispn said:

The Glou Glou is an analogue pedal and those tend to have a bigger foot print and fewer features compared to digital pedals. Probably a bit harsh to make the comparison between GG and SA in terms of their design goals and resources.

I know I'm being harsh (maybe unfairly). I'd love to support this guy for his innovation and creativity. I'm just very frustrated by makers who don't bother to consider what might be usable to potential customers, or observed the direction of travel for pedals across the entire industry = smaller, presets etc. 

24 minutes ago, krispn said:

*edit* actually I may be wrong on that. I think one of their pedal I’ve used was analogue but not sure if the pralines is now I think about it.

The Glou-Glou stuff is 100% analogue. 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I know I'm being harsh (maybe unfairly). I'd love to support this guy for his innovation and creativity. I'm just very frustrated by makers who don't bother to consider what might be usable to potential customers, or observed the direction of travel for pedals across the entire industry = smaller, presets etc. 

I’d say it is a bit harsh. Olivier is a one-man company and doesn’t have anything like the R&D budget of a company like Source Audio (which is also a small company, but huge by comparison). He definitely is clued-up as to what else is out there but is carving his own niche. If he manages to sell enough pedals to customers to fund building what he wants to build then I think that’s great. If everything were ruled by budget and “what customers want”, there’d be much less creativity and that would be a sad thing.

Thanks QM

It's moot point in some respects comparing the size of analogue and digital pedals once you look at the complexity of controls and the components needed to do that type of effect. Sure you can shrink a fuzz or a drive down into a mini size when it only uses three or four components. The Lovetone pedals sounded amazing and were huge. They maybe didn't have to be 'that' huge but still... The Cali Cb comp pedal packs a hell of a lot into their small form factor so yeah it can be done but you get into these builders usually solo guys making what they want, wanting to use certain pots caps etc because they like how they sound and they don't want to make it smaller because some forum-ites wanted them to add this of that feature or because it'll spoil their neat pedal boards by not fitting into a Hammond 1590

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm just very frustrated by makers who don't bother to consider what might be usable to potential customers, or observed the direction of travel for pedals across the entire industry = smaller, presets etc. 

I'm wondering how you came to this assertion...

Did you contact him asking to make changes to an existing pedal design and he said no?  I'm not a pedal builder but I'm not sure you could have a preset on an analogue pedal without employing some digital switching etc.

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

I'm wondering how you came to this assertion...

Did you contact him asking to make changes to an existing pedal design and he said no?  I'm not a pedal builder but I'm not sure you could have a preset on an analogue pedal without employing some digital switching etc.

Yes I did contact him. Initially he said it wouldn't be possible to make the changes to the Pralines we are now seeing in his current pedal. (That at least is positive he has managed to address those points). We also discussed presets and the work Chase Bliss are doing. 

Edited by Al Krow