Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

18 minutes ago, MoJo said:

To me Geddy's current tone is very 'Marmite'. I'm afraid I don't like it at all. I'm a big Rush/Geddy fan and have been so since the late 70's but much prefer his bass tone on the earlier albums, up to Moving Pictures, to the tone he uses these days

I guess you are right, although I love his sound, I hate Marmite! 🤢

I have a very eclectic taste in bass sounds, just as I have a very eclectic taste in music. I like many different tones, but admit to having a penchant for a dirty tone that is just right , without too much fuzz

• Like 1

Like all our SansAmps the output is low impedance and is designed for direct use. There is no XLR connection though. If connectivity is an issue you can either use a 1/4" to XLR adapter or any inexpensive DI will work. As mentioned most mixing consoles and interfaces can accommodate TS, TRS and XLR connections. Usually the issue for live is most snakes don't offer combo inputs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubit said:

There is a  Tech 21 Sans Amp Geddy Lee preamp on the market. This is the pedal version of it. I saw it on the internet and there is no mention of it anywhere. I am hoping it is to be showcased at the NAMM show soon and will be hopefully unleashed on us mere mortals soon after. I might add that the source of the leak is a Tech 21  showcase artist, so I'm believing it to be true

Just had it confirmed. It is to be showcased at NAMM! 🤸‍♂️

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive been following the Talkbass thread about this. I cant see why this is being released. It doesnt even have XLR out. Looks like a cut down VTBass.

It's being released simply because there's been big demand for a pedal version of the Geddy preamp.  Can't really call it a cut down VT Bass as that doesn't have a DI either! This will sound pretty different to the VT anyway, blending 2 signal paths in parallel, sounds to me like it will bring some of the benefits of the Dug pedal (clean lows, distorted top) but without the gaping hole in the midrange.

10 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

It's being released simply because there's been big demand for a pedal version of the Geddy preamp.  Can't really call it a cut down VT Bass as that doesn't have a DI either! This will sound pretty different to the VT anyway, blending 2 signal paths in parallel, sounds to me like it will bring some of the benefits of the Dug pedal (clean lows, distorted top) but without the gaping hole in the midrange.

Ok. Cut down was the wrong word, but to me it looks just like another Charecter pedal, all be it with a twist.

Ive always thought Geddy’s tone came from his fingers, playing style and action on his basses. After all, what did he use to use before the preamp came out that gave him the same tone. 

Still could be an interesting addition to the ranger i guess. 

i'd definitly be interested in how this sounds ( quite fond of TECH21).but any Artist's signiture/endorsed gear looks ever so much better without massive signitures and/or self portraites splashed over the product, imo subtlety is better for non fans who want to try the gear...i thought my markbassTTE 800 looked cool but ruined by having "randy jackson" splashed on it . im Not a big rush or Geddy fan (nice tones and playing though) , so having his mug over a pedal could probably  put me off buying one (fickle i know)

Edited by danbowskill

53 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

i'd definitly be interested in how this sounds ( quite fond of TECH21).but any Artist's signiture/endorsed gear looks ever so much better without massive signitures and/or self portraites splashed over the product, imo subtlety is better for non fans who want to try the gear...i thought my markbassTTE 800 looked cool but ruined by having "randy jackson" splashed on it . im Not a big rush or Geddy fan (nice tones and playing though) , so having his mug over a pedal could probably  put me off buying one (fickle i know)

Yeah, just entre nous* I think I'd get sick of Geddy being quizzical at me and have to silence his gaze with some ducting tape.

*Thanks folks, I'm here all week.

No DI, I’ll stick with my Para Driver. It’s too much of a lottery on the shared/provided rigs scene to hope that the sound guys have a DI box -and I’m not buying one to carry around as a just in case. Shame, would have liked to try it but it’s not like I’m missing anything with my Para Driver, best pedal I’ve ever had.

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

But you can go straight from the Jack output into the desk either via another 1/4” end, or a mummy/daddy 3 pin XLR.

Most desks accept balanced or unbalanced signals

I’m not too good with technical stuff, how would I get the signal to my amp doing this as can only see one “out” on the pedal?

Ok

The Out jack can go to your amp in the normal way like any other pedal using a normal guitar lead. I presume if using an amp thisnis hooked up to a cab and this will blare our a glorious tone.

if you wanted this time to also go out the PA system you can take a DI signal from the Your amp (it probably has one) to the desk and PA. This will give 2 sources of sound.

It is possible to just go guitar into pedal - then a normal cable out the pedal into the PA just how you could with the paradriver.

Only difference with the paradriver is you may go out the jack into the amp and out the DI out to the desk simultaneously instead of taking the DI out the amp.

Essentially you could still use this Geddy pedal with no amp at all, straight into the PA with no extra DI box

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Ah, in that case I’ll def have to pass on this but thanks for the info, really appreciated.

I wouldn't dismiss it just because it doesn't have a DI,  if the sound is so glorious it makes you want to ditch the Paradriver, it'll be worth working  around that. You can either just use the DI out from your amp or add a simple passive DI box (I found one for £6.99!). You might even find they complement each other, well and you want to use both and switch between them, in which case XLR out from the Paradriver would serve both pedals.

The reason to give this one some attention is because a bit like the DP3-X, it's engineered to emulate the sound of running two separate amps in parallel. The problem with a lot of bass overdrive is you lose the low end punch due to the clipping and compression, and the low end negativley affects the character of the drive - it sounds gnarlier with the lows filtered out before the clipping stage. The Geddy pedal has two channels you can blend between; a 'deep' channel that is a cleaner Sansamp tone with the highs rolled off, and the drive channel which is a typical higher gain Sansamp circuit, with a 'tight' switch that filters out the lows going into it to make the distortion sound tighter and more defined. Mix those together and you have punchier lows and a more open roaring drive sound than you would get from a standard full range single channel Sansamp BDDI / PDDI / VTDI.

• Like 1