Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

There is a  Tech 21 Sans Amp Geddy Lee preamp on the market. This is the pedal version of it. I saw it on the internet and there is no mention of it anywhere. I am hoping it is to be showcased at the NAMM show soon and will be hopefully unleashed on us mere mortals soon after. I might add that the source of the leak is a Tech 21  showcase artist, so I'm believing it to be true

• Like 1

I love his bass tone and he is my all time bass hero. Lots of others obviously think so too, as he has gear with his name on it, but I guess we can't all like the same thing. Lemmy's tone is pretty similar.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Looks amazing. I love Tech 21 - the DP-3X and Leeds pedals are the backbone of my sound. 

I can't wait to give this one a go!

I am also very enamoured with my Leeds pedal.  I just want a Leeds Deluxe, please.

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's excellent for bass. I think it was overlooked by lots of bass players as it wasn't a bass-specific pedal, but it absolutely nails that late 60s Entwistle sound. 

Having owned he real things - 100W and 200W Hiwatt in my youth I am more than happy, it is close enough. With my QSC GX7 it is also way lighter than the originals, but I do have a hankering.

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

This post is awesome. In the space of a page three of the most dreadful bass tones have been mentioned: Geddy, Lemmy and Entwistle.

Geddy to bass tech: 'I need you to make this Jazz sound like a Rick cos Fender are paying me a shedload to play them...'

LOL, you must have heard my bass tone... mine with the Gibbo bass is instant Jack or Andy.

9 hours ago, spectoremg said:

This post is awesome. In the space of a page three of the most dreadful bass tones have been mentioned: Geddy, Lemmy and Entwistle.

Geddy to bass tech: 'I need you to make this Jazz sound like a Rick cos Fender are paying me a shedload to play them...'

If you watch the youtube videos of Geddy explaining why he reverted to Fenders, you would realise that he didn't set out to make his Fender sound like a Rick [sic]. He found an old '72 in a pawn shop and tried it. realised that he could get a wider range with the Fender and therefore changed his preference.

As far as dreadful bass tones. Beauty is in the, in this case, ear of the beholder, so clearly its potatoes, potatos, tomatoes, tomatos. What's good for you, ain't necessarily good for me. I love Geddy's tone. I love Lemmy's tone and Entwistle had a great sound too. I don't generically love overdriven sounds, but I realise there is a place for them. This pedal can deliver far more than just giving you a Geddy sound. Its an overdrive and a damned good quality one at that.

• Like 4

Has anyone used the pre-amp?

I saw him on the Snakes & Arrows tour and was really impressed with the sound he got without any amps - I wasn't sure how much was the bass and how much was the pre-amp/eq he was using.  It's not really on my shopping list as I'm happy with my set up (Ampeg SVT, or Tech21 VT pedal is I'm being DI'd) but I'd be interested to hear whether this is designed to go straight into the mixing desk or neutral sounding amp, or if it plays well with an amp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'd be interested to hear whether this is designed to go straight into the mixing desk or neutral sounding amp, or if it plays well with an amp

The GED 2112 is a preamp and cant power your speaker. It can, however, be used to go straight to the desk and you could use monitors. The pedal option above is what I'm interested in. I reckon the preamp version would sound ok with an amp, especially if you set everything on the amp to neutral.

Edited by ubit

5 hours ago, ubit said:

If you watch the youtube videos of Geddy explaining why he reverted to Fenders, you would realise that he didn't set out to make his Fender sound like a Rick [sic]. He found an old '72 in a pawn shop and tried it. realised that he could get a wider range with the Fender and therefore changed his preference.

As far as dreadful bass tones. Beauty is in the, in this case, ear of the beholder, so clearly its potatoes, potatos, tomatoes, tomatos. What's good for you, ain't necessarily good for me. I love Geddy's tone. I love Lemmy's tone and Entwistle had a great sound too. I don't generically love overdriven sounds, but I realise there is a place for them. This pedal can deliver far more than just giving you a Geddy sound. Its an overdrive and a damned good quality one at that.

Three of my favourite-sounding bassists right there. I'll be interested to see what the pedal is like. I use a VTBass pedal and have 2 x VT500 heads. They're great.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubit said:

The GED 2112 is a preamp and cant power your speaker. It can, however, be used to go straight to the desk and you could use monitors. The pedal option above is what I'm interested in. I reckon the preamp version would sound ok with an amp, especially if you set everything on the amp to neutral.

There is no "neutral" on a bass amp (or cab) by their very nature they are designed to produce colouration.

18 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

He sounds bloody awful most of the time, why would anybody want this?

[runs away]

To me Geddy's current tone is very 'Marmite'. I'm afraid I don't like it at all. I'm a big Rush/Geddy fan and have been so since the late 70's but much prefer his bass tone on the earlier albums, up to Moving Pictures, to the tone he uses these days

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

The GED 2112 is a preamp and cant power your speaker. It can, however, be used to go straight to the desk and you could use monitors. The pedal option above is what I'm interested in

that's not what I was suggesting/asking about - can't see how you thought I was saying that it's an amp. 

What I'm interested in is whether it's designed to emulate his sound exactly, and is more designed to go into a desk, or a very neutral/flat sounding amp if you want to use it that way, or if it's there to colour the sound and will happily interact with the amp's eq/drive etc if you want to change the sound there...of course you can do that anyway: I like the sound of my VT pedal going into a valve amp, for extra aggression, but it's not exactly what it was intended to do if you want a pure Ampeg impression

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

There is no "neutral" on a bass amp (or cab) by their very nature they are designed to produce colouration.

perhaps neutral isn't the word as, yes, they will have their own "sound" but you can usually set them for a fairly flat response for eq and gain and let them be driven by the eq, etc from a pre-amp/pedal

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I realise this and maybe shouldn't have used that term, but as said above by Steve, a fairly flat sound, which isn't pushing too much top or bottom end