Why become a member? ×

Cheap "Flat" cabs

Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='38991' date='Jul 30 2007, 02:55 PM']Do you guys know if the plans for the omni 10.5 are included with the plans for the omni 10 or do you have to buy them separately? As a small cab solution it would be pretty hard to beat!

I like the look of the Omni 15, especially the Tallboy. I think that could be the answer to my original question![/quote]
The plans for the 10.5 are in with the O10. There should be a section detailing the cuts and measurements.

Well I've just ordered the plans for a few of Bill's cabs (Omni 10/15/15 tallboy and 15Top) and Bill was kind enough to resend me the plans for his Omni 12 that I lost last yearI >'m thinking an Omni 15 (probably tallboy) would be perfect for a full-on rig, and I'll maybe think about an Omni 10.5 too. Good think about the Omni 15 is I already have a suitable 15" driver, although it isn't neo so it might be a little too heavy for my pretty sh*tty back...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='38918' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:49 PM']New TallBoy Omni 15 now online:

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni15.html"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni15.html[/url]

Alex[/quote]

Wooo!!!
Ill be ordering the plans asap!

Thanks for the heads up Alex

Andy

[quote name='Bigwan' post='39217' date='Jul 30 2007, 08:46 PM']Good think about the Omni 15 is I already have a suitable 15" driver, although it isn't neo so it might be a little too heavy for my pretty sh*tty back...[/quote]
I was thinking about that because the recommended neo driver is about £100 at Bluearan. I wonder if you could employ a similar handrail that is on the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF so you could tilt it back and roll the bugger.

The good thing is that I can build it with my current speaker (which is suitable - Kappa 15LF) and upgrade/lighten the load later!

Don't think I'd bother stumping up the extra over a Beta 10 for a deltalite or basslite 10 for the Omni 10.5 though!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='39702' date='Jul 31 2007, 08:26 PM']Don't think I'd bother stumping up the extra over a Beta 10 for a deltalite or basslite 10 for the Omni 10.5 though![/quote]

I would! The DeltaLite II is particularly well suited as its rising response in the midrange compensates for the lowpass effect of the horn, resulting in flatter response. Add a bit more sensitivity, almost twice the excursion limited power handling and a 1kg per woofer weight saving and the fact that DIY cabs are SO cheap compared to comparable cabs I don't think it's worth skimping on the drivers.

But if you already own some suitable speakers then using them seems the wisest course.

Alex

I suppose that all makes sense, but I was curious to see just how good a cab could be with a beta 10 in it!

Whichever way you cut it it's well under a ton in speakers/piezos to make one of these cabs - got to be worth a go!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='39779' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:22 PM']I would! The DeltaLite II is particularly well suited as its rising response in the midrange compensates for the lowpass effect of the horn, resulting in flatter response. Add a bit more sensitivity, almost twice the excursion limited power handling and a 1kg per woofer weight saving and the fact that DIY cabs are SO cheap compared to comparable cabs I don't think it's worth skimping on the drivers.

But if you already own some suitable speakers then using them seems the wisest course.

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='Bigwan' post='35966' date='Jul 23 2007, 03:45 PM']Hi all,

I'm thining of supplementing/replacing my rig with a modelling rig with the Line6 Bass Pod XT at the center. To do this successfully I'd like to buy a flat/uncoloured cab and I'm looking for suggestions. I've heard of people using Mackie SRM450 PA speakers but I'm concerned they wouldn't handle the low end. I know there are the usual ACME/ACCUGROOVE suggestions to consider, but getting an ACME is awkward (importing) and ACCUGROOVE are prohibitively expensive at the minute. I'm really looking for something cheap to check that it'll all work well.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Ian[/quote]
something flat and uncolured, go for something white from ikea, they are always flat

• 1 month later...

[quote name='TPJ' post='39440' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:39 AM']I was thinking about that because the recommended neo driver is about £100 at Bluearan. I wonder if you could employ a similar handrail that is on the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF so you could tilt it back and roll the bugger.[/quote]
Putting inset wheels (or a diagonal plate and wheels) in the back corners will substantially alter the size/shape of the horn throat of any OMNI 12 or 15. On the tallboys, you could do it with wheels on the front and back of the left-hand enclosure side, so you stand beside it and tilt it towards you.

Hope that makes sense wthout a picture.

Edited by Mottlefeeder