Why become a member? ×

Dodgy preamp?

Ajoten

Midway through rehearsal last night my bass went all fuzzy/distorted. After changing a battery, lead, and amp there was no change. I'm assuming it's an EQ issue - the bass did take a knock and broke the treble pot connections, but that didn't affect anything else and it's been fine for over a year.

Can preamps just "go"? If so, can they be fixed or is replacement the only option?

Thx!

2 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Can preamps just "go"? If so, can they be fixed or is replacement the only option?

As already mentioned, yes they can just "go". As to if it can be fixed it depends on the pre-amp. Some are encapsulated in plastic so you can't get at the components. It could be a pot problem, which is usually a pretty easy swap out, if you know the values or a jack problem. again usually a fairly easy swap.

What bass is it as a matter of interest?

Ibanez SR505.

I slipped on the ice a year ago (bass was a month old 😑) and landed on my back. Had the bass on my back too. It broke a pot but there were no other problems - and it has been perfectly fine for a year. 

Just took it into the shop to get looked at, and obviously it worked nicely <rolls eyes>. Therefore if they don't find something wrong I'm just going to sit waiting for it all to happen again, mid-gig probably.

Funnily enough, I had a preamp EQ go last week - I've mounted an acoustic guitar EQ in a small box with jack in and out, to give more tonal control for my passive bass, and it just packed up, no warning, no dramatics, just no worky.

Bought a replacement quite cheaply online, installed it this morning, and all OK again.