Why become a member? ×

Biggest Gig To Date

Mykesbass

5 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Well that was fun. Great sound on and off stage, band played brilliantly, big audience who loved it. Some really great feedback afterwards. Didn't win the vote to go on the mainstage next year, looks like the rock bands one that every night, but I've never been one for music as a competitive sport! Made some useful allies, and feel like the band have made another step up.

That’s the way we approached it, it was a gig, same as any other, albeit with a great stage to play on and a very big audience.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 03:03, Mykesbass said:

Well that was fun. Great sound on and off stage, band played brilliantly, big audience who loved it. Some really great feedback afterwards. Didn't win the vote to go on the mainstage next year, looks like the rock bands one that every night, but I've never been one for music as a competitive sport! Made some useful allies, and feel like the band have made another step up.

Those main stage slots usually have nothing to do with how good a band is. 

In the States the major festival main stage slots are all about who you know.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 06:27, Bluewine said:

Those main stage slots usually have nothing to do with how good a band is. 

In the States the major festival main stage slots are all about who you know.

Blue

These ones are run quite well, Blue. If you “win” on the day you play the introducing stage, next year you play the main stage. Yes all the other bands are the named acts but it’s nice that lesser known bands get the opportunity to play the main stages. Those stages are massive and you get full sound check until you’re happy, rather than a 15min run through. Ok you’re on first on the main stage but we still must have had 1200/1300 people in for us, was quite chuffed with that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

These ones are run quite well, Blue. If you “win” on the day you play the introducing stage, next year you play the main stage. Yes all the other bands are the named acts but it’s nice that lesser known bands get the opportunity to play the main stages. Those stages are massive and you get full sound check until you’re happy, rather than a 15min run through. Ok you’re on first on the main stage but we still must have had 1200/1300 people in for us, was quite chuffed with that.

Cool, all large festivals are different.

We've played Summerfest for the past 7 years.Opening for the likes of Gary Clark Jr. And Peter Frampton all on the strength of knowing a Summerfest board member. It's an hour set with above average pay.No auditions or video or CD submittel. 

To be honest and I've shared this here before. I don't think our band is good enough for Summerfest. I've never been happy with our performances.

We're a great dance hall / bar band, but our act does not transend to the large festival stages.

There's probably a lot of good local bands that will never play Summerfest because they don't know the right people.

There are contests you can win to play Summerfest, however it's for no pay and not a main stage. I'm always suspicious of contest judging 

And at least for Summerfest I still contend that opening acts don't get the same level of sound as the headliner.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine