Why become a member? ×

Biggest Gig To Date

Mykesbass

Following on from the end of last year's tour - this Saturday sees the biggest gig of my playing career. Not bad for an old duffer! We'll be on the Introducing Stage at the Great British Rock & Blues Festival in Skegness. Anywhere between 600 and 1,000 proper die-hard music fans there for the likes of 9 Below Zero, FM, Saxon and many others. Good fun this original music lark!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

Unfortunately the possibility to beat my "biggest gig to date" has long gone. I'm only at the Red Lion in Isleworth.

Chris, you probably had the pleasure of playing some decent gigs earlier in your career - I'm a late developer :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

That's great news @Mykesbass ! Hope you have a great time.

I'll be at the festival too with my band The Achievers at Jak's stage on the Sat. eve. Really looking forward to it!

Jack

6 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Good man. My band is on the Blues In Britain stage (at Jaks Nightclub) at just after midnight on Friday.

Looks like Jak's is the place to be! 

Playing at the Old Neptune in Whitstable on Sunday - if you don't know it, it's a beautiful old Sheps building on the beach. Not the biggest gig I've played but possibly the most picturesque and certainly the one closest to the sea. Hoping there isn't a tidal surge that day.

• Haha 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:06, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

That's great news @Mykesbass ! Hope you have a great time.

I'll be at the festival too with my band The Achievers at Jak's stage on the Sat. eve. Really looking forward to it!

Jack

Hi Jack ….that joke will never wear thin for me.... I have tickets to the Stroud gig and the York gig ...looking at getting to the Newark gig too...hope you are well and happy ...I'll buy you a beer when we next meet up!

Won't make it to Skeggy as they don't sell tickets for just the night time ...day tickets require you to be out by 6.00 pm ish…  have a blast though!

Edited by Raymondo
The skeggy gig!

7 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Hi Jack ….that joke will never wear thin for me....

I did it to a Gene once. Spent all day thinking about NOT doing it, as soon as he walked in the door, Hi Gene! Damn!!

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Haha 1

Biggest indoor gig I've played so far is still the LCR at the University of East Anglia back in 1997 when I was just 16 (Skunk Anansie had played there the week before which was pretty cool) - capacity 1550. It was part of a multi-band event as the finale to national youth week although we did headline it. 

In March though we will be playing OPEN in Norwich (only band playing this time) which will probably be the biggest that we've played since at a capacity of 1450 - although it's a private function for the deputy director of Norwich City Football Club so not sure if that counts. 

I did also play an outdoor gig once that technically had about 6000 people in attendance although to be fair they weren't really paying much attention to us as they were more interested in the livestock and tractors on display. 🙄😄😄😄

• Like 1

@Mykesbass I forgot to congratulate you on the gig ...good stuff!

My biggest gig  was playing Rock City Nottingham . I was in a Stereophonics tribute band and played there three times in 2004/05 and 09 as part of a "monsters of rock" type bank holiday gig, for a few charities. The first time the venue didn't open the upstairs bars because they had no idea how successful it would be. after that the venue was sold out ...2450 capacity.... I loved every second of it.😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Painy said:

I did also play an outdoor gig once that technically had about 6000 people in attendance although to be fair they weren't really paying much attention to us as they were more interested in the livestock and tractors on display. 🙄😄😄😄

Ah, well if we count those, yes, Kent County Show last year, but for the stand holders after the public had left (and with world cup on TV)!

A slight aside, I saw Skunk Anansie at their distributor's conference - cellar bar in a hotel in Bracknell. Was amazing - less than a meter away from Skin for the whole set!

• Like 1