Why become a member? ×

"KORG USA, Inc. Acquires Spector Bass Company"

Paulhauser

This news just came in:

http://mmrmagazine.com/featured/korg-usa-inc-acquires-spector-bass-company/?fbclid=IwAR28-ZzSkwAWRw7UdQtCo0ZHwmrTEyegy_qsrAon0_3k5mQTPqUgvkwCJuU

I'm proud owner of several US and Euro basses and they are my main basses for a long time. I'm sure this move is good for Stuart Spector in terms of retirement and I'm curious what this will bring to the brand.... fortunately I pretty much have all the Spectors I've ever wanted (well, almost) so I don't have much to worry. Also they keep the custom shop so who knows and I guess will extend the Czech and Korean lines so this might be good in the end for the players.

What do you think?

That is interesting news! 

I don't know too much about Korg and what changes they will bring to the party.

But not sure that when Fender have taken over other brands it has ended well.

Whereas when Yamaha took over e.g. Line 6 and more recently Ampeg, it's been (from what I can tell) a supportive lifeline and certainly Line 6's range of products (e.g. Helix) have caught the imagination and wallets of us bass players!

I'm sure it'll be fine. Korg have worked very closely with Stuart for the last 4 years and have distributed them well. Stuart & PJ are very proud of their brand and I'm sure have done due diligence before completing any deal. Stuart deserves his retirement time - I just hope PJ gets to keep a longer term role in guiding the company...

Who knows, it may make some models more affordable!?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cetera said:

I'm sure it'll be fine. Korg have worked very closely with Stuart for the last 4 years and have distributed them well. Stuart & PJ are very proud of their brand and I'm sure have done due diligence before completing any deal. Stuart deserves his retirement time - I just hope PJ gets to keep a longer term role in guiding the company...

Who knows, it may make some models more affordable!?!

We can only hope mate!!! Time will tell with this deal, Spector is a niche brand and my only concern is that profitability may have an impact. 

Lets hope it doesn’t lose its family business feel!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Act confused all you want but to me the Bongo was a vastly superior bass - straight trade too. 

I think the MM Bongo is a great bass although I would not think it is superior to the Euros but to each their own. 

I have a Euro5 with the Tonepump 2.0 and it is a great recording bass and I never had any problem dialing in the preamp or getting a nice sound out of it.

The hot output was an issue with earlier TPs but the TP2 has an internal trimpot that adjusts the level of the output signal so that can be set to a desired level, too.

• Like 1