Why become a member? ×

For Beatles Fans Over 65 Only

Bluewine

Really this is only for old hardcore Beatles Fans, actually for fans of the White Album. I think the content would be boring to anyone not familiar with the material and time period.And it's a very long discussion.

For fans I think this British presentation is fantastic, best I've ever seen.

Yes, I know it's to sell the new remastered White Album. It's still great stuff.

CG85fF-CZBI

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

Yes, because anyone under 65 can't appreciate The Beatles. You weren't there, man! ;)

I'll bend on 64, even more than that. 65 was used to make the title provocative.

Really it's for anyone. However, I am not sure there are many Beatles Fans on BC.

The host is really good and Giles Martin's insights are really cool. The guests are pretty good too. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

"However, I am not sure there are many Beatles Fans on BC."

You'll probably find there are a lot more than you think.  Posters most likely think it's cool to knock successful bands. 

I'm only 58 this year but was still aware of the beatles at an early age. My earliest memory of listening to music was hearing 'All you need is love' while in the back of the removal wagon in 1967

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Well, you were 10 years old when they hit big world wide, that's old enough. However, if your not a fan of or have an interest the White Album, I think it would be boring.

Blue

It's the White Album that finally got me into the Beatles and their catalogue... but I'm 'only' 40, is that ok? :)

I'll be sure to check out your link when I can focus on it.

Edited by Chiliwailer

Just goes to show, really, how different we all are. For me, it became interesting with Rubber Soul, confirmed by Revolver, and Sgt Pepper was where it ended. From then on, I'd 'moved on', and Abbey Road, the White Album and (were there any more..?) didn't 'do' it for me at all. There was so much more interesting stuff oozing out from Electra Records, the Floyd, Magma... So many more, that had taken the baton and run with it, and run damn fast, too..! No, my nostalgia peaked with Revolver, really, as far as the Beatles were concerned. An analyse of the White Album..? I'll give it a shot, but I doubt that I'll be shedding emotive tears. As for a boxed set, well... :laugh1:

And 'Yes, I was there..!' :P

I come from Merseyside and George Harrison used to deliver my parents’ meat order from the local butcher on a bike with a basket!

Having got that out of the way, I think the Fabs had two audiences, the singles and the album buyers. My first album was an LP called ‘A Collection of Beatles Oldies’ with 1963-66 singles on. As a pre-teen, that was good enough for me.

i still think the White Album is overrated, but then so much these days is viewed through a nostalgia filter. Where were Abba’s fans in the 70s?

The White Album is probably my favourite Beatles album, but no interest in the remasters - they have no artistic merit in my opinion.

It has as much worth in my mind as deciding that the Sistine Chapel ceiling doesn't look good in photographs and deciding it needs some brighter colours.

YMMV of course.

Edited by ahpook

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Just goes to show, really, how different we all are. For me, it became interesting with Rubber Soul, confirmed by Revolver, and Sgt Pepper was where it ended. From then on, I'd 'moved on', and Abbey Road, the White Album and (were there any more..?) didn't 'do' it for me at all. There was so much more interesting stuff oozing out from Electra Records, the Floyd, Magma... So many more, that had taken the baton and run with it, and run damn fast, too..! No, my nostalgia peaked with Revolver, really, as far as the Beatles were concerned. An analyse of the White Album..? I'll give it a shot, but I doubt that I'll be shedding emotive tears. As for a boxed set, well... :laugh1:

And 'Yes, I was there..!' :P

Interesting, to me The Beatles aren't Revolver, Sgt. Pepper or The White Album. They're The Beatles.

Blue

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

The White Album is probably my favourite Beatles album, but no interest in the remasters - they have no artistic merit in my opinion.

It has as much worth in my mind as deciding that the Sistine Chapel ceiling doesn't look good in photographs and deciding it needs some brighter colours.

YMMV of course.

I feel the same way about remasters.However I plan on going downtown today and buying the current remastered White Album.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

4 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I come from Merseyside and George Harrison used to deliver my parents’ meat order from the local butcher on a bike with a basket!

Having got that out of the way, I think the Fabs had two audiences, the singles and the album buyers. My first album was an LP called ‘A Collection of Beatles Oldies’ with 1963-66 singles on. As a pre-teen, that was good enough for me.

i still think the White Album is overrated, but then so much these days is viewed through a nostalgia filter. Where were Abba’s fans in the 70s?

Wow, that is a really cool story about George.

BTW, I love Abba. They made some historical AM radio driving pop recordings.

Blue

the White Album, or The Beatles to give it's proper name would have made a really good single record, not me saying that, but George Martin, and I can't really disagree.

As regards remasters, either just a another way of making even more money from an old record, or something else for Beatle collectors to buy, take your pick. 

I'm a bit of a fan of remasters, personally. Most of the album's i bought in the seventies are pretty sh@gged by now and many weren't brilliant to start with given the quality of vinyl during the oil crisis.

So i welcome the chance to get hold of an album I love on a format that is convenient and, often, with "extras" that add to my understanding. Yes, I know that some are cynical attempts by the record company to squeeze a few more dollars out of their fading asset base - but some are genuine attempts to make a "better" version using today's technology.

YMMV of course - and we should bear in mind that the record companies have managed to sell me pretty much my entire album collection several times over on a succession of "improved" formats so i guess I'm just a gullible mug, ripe for exploitation.

Hey ho 😀

• Like 1