Why become a member? ×

For Beatles Fans Over 65 Only

Bluewine

For Beatles fans, an essential read (listen) is David Hepworth's new book (I have it on audiobook), the somewhat clumsily entitled Nothing is Real: The Beatles Were Underrated And Other Sweeping Statements About Pop. I guarantee it will delight with a ton of minutiae from a borderline-Beatles-obsessive music journalist.

If I'm completely honest, it's a bit too much for me, but his other two books (Uncommon People: The Rise and Fall of the Rock Stars 1955-1994 and 1971 - Never a Dull Moment: Rock's Golden Year*) are the best music-related reads/listens I've come across in a very long time...

* He really does like a lumpen title, does our Dave...

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads-up Blue.  As a massive Beatles fan who came to love their music even more after being lured away by Hendrix and Cream, I'm looking forward to investigating this (I meet your age criteria too 😉).  As usual, I'm refraining from waxing evangelical about The Beatles on this forum because all that really matters is what they mean to me (there are probably lots more like me out there).  Still loving Hendrix and Cream as much as ever btw 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks for the heads-up Blue.  As a massive Beatles fan who came to love their music even more after being lured away by Hendrix and Cream, I'm looking forward to investigating this (I meet your age criteria too 😉).  As usual, I'm refraining from waxing evangelical about The Beatles on this forum because all that really matters is what they mean to me (there are probably lots more like me out there).  Still loving Hendrix and Cream as much as ever btw 🙂

I'm still maintain my " you had to be there"position. However, all of the younger guests on the show we're inpressive and well versed.

Blue

love the Beatles.... My dad and uncles had all the vinyl albums... The songs are timeless. The way they made the white album is fascinating.  

however. One song is so weird  ... Number 9. Number 9. Number 9... But bits of it get into your head!  I still quote then now!  Lol. 

let us know how the remaster sounds to you blue. 

On 15/01/2019 at 01:45, Bluewine said:

Well, you were 10 years old when they hit big world wide, that's old enough. However, if your not a fan of or have an interest the White Album, I think it would be boring.

Blue

I was a fairly avid fan up until the White Album. It's still a great album, but nowhere near my favorite, and after that I completely tuned out. I generally tend to like the first 2-3 albums for most rock acts more than later ones, for whatever reason. But with the Beatles that didn't really hold true. Anyhow, might as well get the T shirt too:

WhiteT.png

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

As a teenager in the '60s, listening to Radio Caroline (North), I was -  and still am -  a big Beatles fan.  But it was their early stuff that I really liked.  Album wise I have "Please Please Me" - 1963, "Beatles For Sale" - 1964, "With The Beatles" -1963, "A Hard Day's Night" (my favourite Beatles album) 1964, "Rubber Soul" - 1965, "Help" - 1965 and "Revolver" 1966.  After those recordings I felt they wandered away from good old 'pop' music.  Sgt. Pepper has never registered with me - I genuinely do not understand the fuss that is made over it.  I am also an ABBA fan and love everything the Carpenters ever recorded.  I can appreciate most types of music but the old 60s/70s tracks have something about them.

• Like 2

Hang on... I’m fifty f...cough cough cough and I remember then my brother brought back Sgt Pepper, the Beatles and Abbey Road on their release days and sitting with him in his bedroom listening to them. He took me so see Let It Be double billed with Yellow Submarine and I cried when I heard they’d split up...! None of your ageism! ;)

On 15/01/2019 at 09:45, Bluewine said:

Well, you were 10 years old when they hit big world wide, that's old enough. However, if your not a fan of or have an interest the White Album, I think it would be boring.

Blue

I’m 55, but as an 8 year old kid probably knew the words to most of their songs by heart. My older cousins were hugely into them and I used to stay with them a lot. They were the first band I ever loved. 

On 15/01/2019 at 13:21, Mickeyboro said:

Where were Abba’s fans in the 70s?

Er, getting them to the top of the charts across the world?

Love ABBA, one of my absolute favourite bands. Always loved them and was always happy to say so, even when it wasn’t cool.