Why become a member? ×

Any USA Epiphone experts on board?

leschirons

Hi ,

Had a message from a friend asking my advice on possible value of a 60s USA Epi Rivoli. It's not a great picture and I will assume that it all works and is hopefully original. The serial number suggests it a 64. If this is correct, any opinions on possible value? I/he, have no idea if there is an original case. Sadly, a berieved sale by a late bassists widow. I can only find old USA for sale ads on the net and I know some of you are into this type of bass.

Let me know if you can't open the pic.

Thanks,

Keith

Pièce jointe Dick_Bass.pdf

Edited by leschirons

Hard to see clearly, but the oblong shadow above the bridge is slightly odd. It's in roughly the place where a factory handrest might well have been, but it's a little too long for that, and there's no sign of the handrest "ears", nor the two screw holes. Worst case scenario would be a patch where an added pickup had once been, which would affect the value... quite a lot.

Of course it may just be a mark from a sticker, or even a glitch in the photo. 

I owned one in 1977 that I paid £75 for! 

I remember it being really nice to play but not a lot else apart from the sound. When you engaged the press switch on the body, the tone went to an indistinct woofy mess - loads of indistinct deep bass. Think I was using a Cerwin Vega 1x18” at the time with an Orange 120 head - probably didn’t help much! It was a total dub machine in that mode.

Loved playing it but got a decent 3 figure offer and it sailed off being replaced by an Ibanez Rick copy. 

Think the guy in “The Peddlers” - amazing player - played the Gibson equivalent. There are numerous videos on YouTube

My first bass was a Gibson EB2 which was the same instrument. Got it in 1974 for £50! I remember inside it had a 'made in kalamazoo' sticker was made in 62 or 64 and the Epiphones were made there too. Incidentally I was told the body was exactly the same size as the 335 guitar equivalent.

It came with flats and I struggled to get a decent sound from it as I knew nothing about Basses or backline then. My rig was a Truevoice (Selmer T&B) 50 watt valve amp and a homemade 1x15 cabinet the size of a small house....

22 hours ago, fleabag said:

Another one here Les, but no build date given, that i can see anyway. They didnt do reissues, did they ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-RIVOLI2-BASS-VC-2PU-Nice-Clean-W-OHSC-Free-International-Shipping/123591092563?hash=item1cc69a6953:g:6aMAAOSwXF5cN0oZ

Thanks for links. Much appreciated.

18 hours ago, KK Jale said:

Hard to see clearly, but the oblong shadow above the bridge is slightly odd. It's in roughly the place where a factory handrest might well have been, but it's a little too long for that, and there's no sign of the handrest "ears", nor the two screw holes. Worst case scenario would be a patch where an added pickup had once been, which would affect the value... quite a lot.

Of course it may just be a mark from a sticker, or even a glitch in the photo. 

Some did come with a cover/rest in that position and that's what I thought may have been there, but as you point out, there should be "ear" marks.

I've asked my pal to ask her for some good quality pics from all angles. If they arrive, I'll stick some up, mainly out of interest really.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by leschirons
Spelling