Why become a member? ×

Conway Instruments Taranis Fretless

Merton

There's no denying it, none of you will know who Conway Instruments are. "They" are my good friend Phil, who I met ten years ago when I started a new job. A few years later Phil moved on to bigger and better things and started doing wood turning. He progressed from there and started building guitars and ukuleles, and last year we decided it was time for a bass. I've been very fortunate that I've (finally) had a little money come my way from a messy breakup in 2012 and I decided to treat myself. Treat no. 1 is the Zoot Funkmeister (see here for that build). This is treat no. 2. Treat no. 3 is ACG flavoured and will follow soon :)

So... the Taranis. Taranis being the Celtic god of thunder, it seemed a good name (and entirely Phil's idea!). My original thinking was something along the lines of an Ibanez Artcore but we threw a few sketches and ideas back and forth and decided to go a different way. Phil had a body blank for a shape somewhere akin to the lovechild of a Shuker Uberhorn, an ACG Finn and a Jackson (you'll see, it has slightly pointed ends to the horns!). Phil's got some very cool bits of wood to use, and a great idea for making the grain on the top pop out really nicely. I won't explain what it is as I can't pretend to fully understand it, but Phil's pretty excited...

Stop waffling and tell us the specs, I hear you cry at your screen. OK:

30" fretless with thru-body stringing

Black limba body, ash top, black limba back, black veneers between layers

5 piece limba/maple neck but also with  contrasting veneers between the main 5 components so it'll look pretty epic

Sexy unlined Pau Ferro fretboard with a 16" radius

Grainger bridge with 19mm spacing (wider than I'd usually go), hipshot tuners

Nordstand MM5.4 pickup with vol and pickup coil select switch.

Here's a pick of the bookmatched back, it's quite stunning I'm sure you'll agree :)

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Merton
smelling pistake
  • Like 4

Interesting point! I’m not using flats on this - it’ll have Newtone nickels on it - but even so the B string would no doubt benefit from a less sharp angle across the saddles. Don’t think we have enough room on the body though.... will check!

Guest Marcoelwray
28 minutes ago, Merton said:

No idea, I don’t build these things, I just post the pictures 🤓

OK OK , I'm curious about that because I try to look how "big" luthiers are foing it, in most cases it's a 200mm long rod… But everything is good to learn !

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lovely piece of Pao Ferro. Two of my basses have it, and it has been very wear-resistant on my fretless. I was never sure if they had impregnated it with something, as the finish is really satin smooth, and about 10 years as my main bass, always with rounds, has barely imperceptible amounts of wear on the fingerboard.

As the manufacturer (U.S. Masters) ceased trading a few years ago, I can't even ask if the board was treated. Mine has black epoxy line markers with no front dots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

That's a lovely piece of Pao Ferro. Two of my basses have it, and it has been very wear-resistant on my fretless. I was never sure if they had impregnated it with something, as the finish is really satin smooth, and about 10 years as my main bass, always with rounds, has barely imperceptible amounts of wear on the fingerboard.

As the manufacturer (U.S. Masters) ceased trading a few years ago, I can't even ask if the board was treated. Mine has black epoxy line markers with no front dots.

At a guess I’d say it probably wasn’t impregnated. Not only is it a relatively recent development - not unheard of that long ago but pretty rare - but it’s also a very hard species. Several large scale manufacturers have moved over to it due to its availability, and its genetic similarities to true Dalbergias. 

• Like 1