Why become a member? ×

Short scales up to around £1000 - what's out there?

Osiris

6 hours ago, Osiris said:

What do you think of the MIJ Mustang? I have the Mexican PJ Mustang and love it, the stock pickups sound good enough to not warrant considering replacing them and the neck is fast and comfortable. The only mod I have made was to ditch the 3 way pickup selector switch and swap it out for a blend pot as this makes the bass so much more versatile. But in truth I spend 90% of the time just on the P pup :lol:

It’s very well made and sounds great (I have tapewounds on it). I had been looking at vintage at the time and realised it was a better and more reliable instrument for less money, which suited me as I didn’t think it would become my main axe. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Osiris said:

If they do it in some more sensible colour schemes (natural and black always works for me) then it could well be a serious contender. 

I’m pretty sure they are built to order so choosing your preferred colour shouldn’t be a problem.

the headstock looks pretty cool too

• Thanks 1

I have 3 short scale basses: Fender MIJ Mustang, Lakland Skyline Hollowbody, and a pimped Harley Benton Shorty. I can see you're in Northamptonshire, which isn't exactly round the corner from Stockport, but you are more than welcome to pop in and play any of my basses if you're in my area.

Steve

On 26/01/2019 at 18:37, Osiris said:

What do you think of the MIJ Mustang? I have the Mexican PJ Mustang and love it, the stock pickups sound good enough to not warrant considering replacing them and the neck is fast and comfortable. The only mod I have made was to ditch the 3 way pickup selector switch and swap it out for a blend pot as this makes the bass so much more versatile. But in truth I spend 90% of the time just on the P pup :lol:

I've got an MIJ Mustang bass and its brilliant. I'm mainly a P bass player, and this thing is like a smaller, shorter scale version. Very much in same ball park sonically, nicely built, and looks cool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CyberBass said:

I absolutely love my Fender jmj mustang. Definitely worth trying one out if you get the opportunity 👍

Cheers, I don't suppose you're anywhere close to sunny Wellingborough are you, so I could pop round for a cheeky test drive xD

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2019 at 09:31, Fuzzbass2000 said:

Fender just announced some new mustangs (American Performer) at NAMM this year. Classic mustang PUPs + jbass bridge pup + classic bridge in surf green, aubergine and Sunburst.

retail is around 930£

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric-bass-guitars/fender-american-performer-mustang-bass-satin-surf-green-rw?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzePjBRCRARIsAGkrSm7PdfnyalwU5Dx2bScKrjNIOcSdlAUU4fAGlmrOCfZdJJrmT1raStgaAvhBEALw_wcB

Edited by solo4652

10 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I know that they've had to change the classic bridge design to accommodate the jazz pup but it just doesn't look right on a Mustang.

I agree, I think they shoud've just left the design well alone and done some special finishes, shoreline gold etcs, maybe with a matched headstock?
I've not read any positive comments at all about the addition of the bridge pickup, visually at least, it's clumsy and not really necessary in my humble opinion...

Eude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

I agree, I think they shoud've just left the design well alone and done some special finishes, shoreline gold etcs, maybe with a matched headstock?
I've not read any positive comments at all about the addition of the bridge pickup, visually at least, it's clumsy and not really necessary in my humble opinion...

Eude

If the split pup is anything like the SD in the Jap reissue (2002 ish) then I can't see why it would be needed, I've never felt the need on mine.  If you want the PJ format in a SS then the Mexican version or a Squier Jag should do the job.