Why become a member? ×

Not everything about the bass is great .....

Barking Spiders

I've no objection to keeping a bassline simple at times. Some of the most effective moments in some great tunes are when the bass comes in or goes out with just a note or two e.g. the opening  15 seconds of Le Freak by Chic.

ah, Nile, Nard and Tone..the coolest dudes in popular music..probably ever

Anyway, I digress. Er where was I? I picked the Lovefool and Stranglehold basslines as they help make those two songs unlistenable to me. Viz Nugent it's the aimless widdlethon that irks more, there he is just a-w@nkin' his frets any old how while a monotonous rhythm goes on and on and on...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

...we did an absolutely cracking version of London's Burning by the Clash that only lasted two gigs because it's not one that the casual punk fan will remember and it's never been used in an advert, so there's no point in arguing that it's a much better song than I Fought The Law)

That's a shame, London's Burning is one of their best

2 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I'd suggest the song or band  is boring rather than the bass line! Some bass lines are repetitive but I still enjoy playing them, if you're in a good band with groove! 

Yup, this is what I was getting at when I was whingeing about that Mavericks dirge. I think you probably worded it better than me :)

On 15/01/2019 at 22:19, Woodinblack said:

We often get drunk people asking for Oasis, I am sure it irritates the others in the band that I won't do them.

With an originals ska band, we have been asked quite insistently for Wonderwall by a bunch of drunks. Eventually the singer would announce each song as Wonderwall. It took three songs before they let it rest :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we get asked for some very strange requests. We got asked for 'come on Eileen' at a party we were doing because it was a 'family song'. This was a private party where they had hired us, 6 months before. Maybe they could have mentioned that one at all.

There are some songs we do now because they were requested, whether the requestee ever came back who knows.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

we get asked for some very strange requests. We got asked for 'come on Eileen' at a party we were doing because it was a 'family song'. This was a private party where they had hired us, 6 months before. Maybe they could have mentioned that one at all.

There are some songs we do now because they were requested, whether the requestee ever came back who knows.

One of the co-writers of "Come on Eileen" plays trombone with one of my bands... Nobody ever reaIises that, but I used to be a bit nervous someone would notice and ask for that song (I'm not a fan :D )

Is there even trombone on that song? I'm not going to play it now to find out 😛

12 hours ago, mcnach said:

One of the co-writers of "Come on Eileen" plays trombone with one of my bands... Nobody ever reaIises that, but I used to be a bit nervous someone would notice and ask for that song (I'm not a fan :D )

Is there even trombone on that song? I'm not going to play it now to find out 😛

I am guessing there probably is :D

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hah hah, I am one myself but would rather slam my fingers in the car door than be  in a band and compelled to play widdly Blues-based or metal type  solos that go on form what seems like an eternity

Our guitarist loves blues and given the choice would play just that. He isn't given that choice, but we do play a few. They are incredibly dull, doesn't seem like anyone wants to hear them, but we play them anyway.

Which is lucky, considering how much hostility you get round here for not wanting to play oasis, not wanting to play blues is probably a lynching offence!

On 15/01/2019 at 13:31, Rich said:

I'm 100% sure I couldn't come up with a bassline that would improve the song, because I'm firmly of the opinion that the song itself is beyond redemption. The bassline is the same few notes over and over again because the song is the same two chords over and over again -- this in itself wouldn't be so bad if the other parts of the song were more interesting, but the vocal line is just an uninspired drone too. For me, the only interesting aspect of the song is the horns -- everything else can be filed firmly under 'meh'.
As I said, YMMV. I know some people love it, and for some reason it always fills floors at parties.

I had exactly the same feelings about that song as you. In fact, I still have them, but at least I no longer have to play it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I'd suggest the song or band  is boring rather than the bass line! Some bass lines are repetitive but I still enjoy playing them, if you're in a good band with groove! 

I used to enjoy playing She Sells Sanctuary, not for the technicality but for the energy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I took one for the team, I looked at a live video. There were a lot of violins, but no tromboner in sight

That's what I recall too. I had to double check, and indeed he's credited as writer on that one. I don't know.

edit: ha! it looks like the horns section had been playing strings for a bit (trombonist in question playing cello!) and this period was right before their departure from the band... so maybe he didn't even play in the recording? It sounds like it was a band with far too much drama.

Edited by mcnach

Personally, I enjoy music for the whole. Not because it has a complicated or interesting bass line. Some of the best music I know has a plodding, simple bass line. It's the cross between melody and rhythm. Sometimes less is more. I have no problem playing single notes if the song asks for it.

• Like 2

My favourite band Is Rush. Geddy plays the most amazing basslines but equally, I have always loved AC/DC. They were the first band I really loved. Malcolm actually told Cliff and Phil that they were under no circumstances to play fancy rolls or riffs. It was all about Angus. That's because the music called for that. It was rock and roll. Good, driving, no-nonsense rock and roll. If Highway to Hell was filled with runs and fancy drumming, it would sound stinky poo. 

Nah, I will like the music for what it is. Fancy bass or not.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hah hah, I am one myself but would rather slam my fingers in the car door than be  in a band and compelled to play widdly Blues-based or metal type  solos that go on form what seems like an eternity

See I don’t actually mind that because it’s at least in part what bass is about. I enjoy the actual experience of two or more people making music. I find it hypnotic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

My favourite band Is Rush. Geddy plays the most amazing basslines but equally, I have always loved AC/DC. They were the first band I really loved. Malcolm actually told Cliff and Phil that they were under no circumstances to play fancy rolls or riffs. It was all about Angus. That's because the music called for that. It was rock and roll. Good, driving, no-nonsense rock and roll. If Highway to Hell was filled with runs and fancy drumming, it would sound stinky poo. 

Nah, I will like the music for what it is. Fancy bass or not.

Cliff plays a lot of thirds to keep the bass relatively interesting 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

See I don’t actually mind that because it’s at least in part what bass is about. I enjoy the actual experience of two or more people making music. I find it hypnotic

Me too, and I don't mind simple repetitive basslines. But I find blues lethargic rather than hypnotic.

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

That's what I recall too. I had to double check, and indeed he's credited as writer on that one. I don't know.

edit: ha! it looks like the horns section had been playing strings for a bit (trombonist in question playing cello!) and this period was right before their departure from the band... so maybe he didn't even play in the recording? It sounds like it was a band with far too much drama.

What is it people on here say about singers and guitarists? The front man in that band had something of a reputation in the city he came from, having also been a boxer (I used to play in a band with a guitarist who had first hand experience!)  I also recall reading that the lead violinist on that particular song was someone he'd met on the bus or something very similar - sounds like a recipe for conflict, with a soul band type horn section!! 

I can't stand playing the song either!! 

Edited by drTStingray