Why become a member? ×

Not everything about the bass is great .....

Barking Spiders

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Because I'm literally the only other person on this thread who has mentioned Call Me the Breeze...?

OK, that was you was it. Sorry I didn't clock the name. There are guys throwing out songs they don't like. Not liking them is fine but, my point is, that doesn't make it a bad song or bad bass line.

I don't particularity like Classical music, so does that make any of it bad? There are a lot of songs out there that I don't like much, but I'd never think that made them bad songs. I'm not a fan of a lot of songs I've played in cover bands, but when the bass and drummer get it right they are very effective lines for those songs. As I said, that's my definition of a good bass line.

23 hours ago, 4000 said:

You may wish to check out the isolated bass on Youtube. There's more going on than you'd think.

I was very careful not to suggest I would put it here (as I'd hoped was obvious from the way I said it). Just so we're clear.

As it happens I'm with @Cat Burrito on this one. The bass, like every other instrument, is there to serve the song. If the song is best served by a very simple bass line then so be it.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Got to disagree on Stranglehold admittedly the Bassline is virtually same hypnotic groove throughout but the song and Teds solo are legendry probably the best solo of all time but each to there own

Yep, I hate Ted Nugent(to the point where I believe he is actually mentally ill re his stance on gun control) but Stranglehold is a great song. The bass line really holds the song together and allows Ted the room to deliver his killer solo. He's still a tw@ though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

This one literally makes me angry:

An Eric Clapton-assembled tribute to his friend JJ Cale. Slavish attention to detail, capturing and recreating the rhythm and soul that made those original recordings so great...

Are you saying there are other Eric Clapton titled songs that are actually not bad?

Spoiler

I find that simple basslines show up my lack of discipline sometimes, Roxette and Cocaine spring to mind, and that is definitely something I need to continue to work on, where as some others, Sweetest Little Thing and She Sells Sanctuary, are just comfortable and still enjoyable. Like I said, I must continue to work on the discipline more.

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

😱...no sirree . That sounds like sacrilege but over the weekend I heard two songs from yesteryear that have always bugged the hell out of me and one of the main reasons is each have dull, repetitive, undemanding basslines that simply hurt my eardums . One is the irritatingly twee ditty Lovefool by The Cardigans, a half forgotten and unlamented pop band from Sweden

and the other is this tedious noodelthon by the terminally terrible (IMO) Ted Nugent

So what basslines do you think are a poor advert for the instrument? I'm not saying simple basslines are bad by any stretch but monotonously repetitive ones  are.

Have you listened to the middle bit of Stranglehold? Or did you switch off after 2 minutes? Its got a bass solo in it!!!! 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

😱...no sirree . That sounds like sacrilege but over the weekend I heard two songs from yesteryear that have always bugged the hell out of me and one of the main reasons is each have dull, repetitive, undemanding basslines that simply hurt my eardums . One is the irritatingly twee ditty Lovefool by The Cardigans, a half forgotten and unlamented pop band from Sweden

I have to say I didn't think the Bass line on Lovefool was that bad.  I've played worse with my covers band; sex on fire, teenage kicks, you've really got me (kinks original) all spring to mind.  

And if you're in a covers band that opt for one of these songs there's always an opportunity to make it your own as they say ... this chap does a good job of spicing it up:

Does it serve the song as well though ?

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

and the other is this tedious noodelthon by the terminally terrible (IMO) Ted Nugent

So what basslines do you think are a poor advert for the instrument? I'm not saying simple basslines are bad by any stretch but monotonously repetitive ones  are.

The bassline on The Cardigans song... I kind of like it. Very simple, but it works. Although I can't stand the song.

As for the Nugent one... what's the point of that aimless soloing? Someone called it probably the best solo of all time... :scratch_one-s_head: Guitar onanism more like. In that respect, I applaud the bassplayer for doing all he can to send the audience to sleep, hoping that way they would not realise just how terrible the song is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

😱...no sirree . That sounds like sacrilege but over the weekend I heard two songs from yesteryear that have always bugged the hell out of me and one of the main reasons is each have dull, repetitive, undemanding basslines that simply hurt my eardums . 

There's a bassline from yesteryear that irritates the hell out of me. It's like fingernails down a blackboard. Sets my teeth on edge. But it's nothing to do with dullness or repetitiveness... it's that it's so horrendously out of tune. I refer to this offering from the Godfather:

• Like 2

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

Weirdly the track still has a mondo vibe to it, but the off-key line makes muscles twitch where I didn't know I had them!

Does make me wonder how much the bass player got fined for that one!

I’m wondering that too. My suspicion is that the tape used for the bass track stretched or was otherwise somehow compromised.

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

People who disparage plodding bass lines should be sentenced to ten years of root / 5 in a Country band fronted by a malodorous, moustachioed pervert who hails from Shepherds' Bush but peppers his everyday conversation with 'Y'all this' and Y'all that'.

Oi. Butt out!

I've got 2 years, 3 months, 4.5 days left.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

I’m wondering that too. My suspicion is that the tape used for the bass track stretched or was otherwise somehow compromised.

This is a little like the  original 45 recording of ‘Stand By Me’ which sounds like an upright but is about 1/8th tone out of tune the whole way through. I always wondered whether it was an issue with the master tape...

8 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

I find that simple basslines show up my lack of discipline sometimes, Roxette and Cocaine spring to mind, 

Cocaine is the one - luckily I have finally got that kicked out of that set. Not only is a mindless bass line, it is horribly dull song. For me, if playing bass was doing that then yes, it should be done on a keyboard or programmed.

The basslines that set my teeth on edge are not the repetitive ones - which as said often do exactly what they should do in the mix - but the fussy ones which get in the way. I suspect it's bass players who really want to play guitar but drew the short straw on "we need a bass player" without understanding what that means. 

No recordings that I can think of, but I've heard a few at fringe venues at blues festivals. Come to think of it, the two worst I can remember both had very flashy, obviously expensive gear. That might not be a coincidence. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rich said:

There's a bassline from yesteryear that irritates the hell out of me. It's like fingernails down a blackboard. Sets my teeth on edge. But it's nothing to do with dullness or repetitiveness... it's that it's so horrendously out of tune. I refer to this offering from the Godfather:

Ah - that explains it - I thought that Ice T had just got an out of tune bassline because it was sampled from somewhere else!

I can't stand Summer of 69 - it bores me poopless.

However we do Hold Your Head Up by Argent which has got to be one of the most repetitive bass lines going, but I love playing it. My guitarist apologised for making me play such a "dull" part, but the incessant, repetitive bass line makes the song imho. I'm with @wateroftyne on this one :)