Why become a member? ×

Tony Franklin Bass

Yank

1 hour ago, Yank said:

Anyone have one of the Tony Franklin Fenders?  I have no idea who he is,  but his fretless PJ looks sweet.

Absolute dream of a bass. All three pickup combinations serve their own role just nicely, and the tone control gives you an amazingly wide range of sounds. Wonderfully comfortable neck, and the ebony fingerboard is a thing of beauty.

Not that I've tried a huge range, but without doubt it's the best passive fretless I've ever got my hands round.

First saw Tony with a band called The Firm with Jimmy page and was very impressed by him. Crackin sound back then but i'm sure he was using Jaydee basses.

I've also bought albums he's played on like Blue Murder. He has a lot of demo vids on youtube too.

Very talented altho he does come across as a "bit forward".

Famous for his playing rock music with his fretless P basses over the years tho.

Not heard this particular bass i'm afraid.

Dave 

45 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

First saw Tony with a band called The Firm with Jimmy page and was very impressed by him. Crackin sound back then but i'm sure he was using Jaydee basses.

Great band. Got the 2 albums The Firm and Mean Business.  Frankiln is top notch

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I have tried that particular one. The side dot markers are rather nice in that there are black ones on the usual places (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12) and white ones in-between that are discreet enough to not distract.
Unfortunately, it seems that I don't get on at all with Precision bodies.

Edited by knirirr
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, knirirr said:

I have tried that particular one. The side dot markers are rather nice in that there are black ones on the usual places (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12) and white ones in-between that are discreet enough to not distract.

Oh that's clever, I did not know that. Dammit! Now have Tony Franklin P Bass GAS.:facepalm:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, knirirr said:

That's squashed my TF Bass gas thankfully.

I can't cope with lined fretless necks with the dots between frets...confuses the hell out of me. So a multitude of dots would send me little brain into a tail spin.

These look such fabulous basses though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

I can't cope with lined fretless necks with the dots between frets...confuses the hell out of me. So a multitude of dots would send me little brain into a tail spin.

I'm the same. Even a ukulele I tried which had the dots in the correct (i.e. as on an unlined) place but lines as well was too confusing. But, the TF bass's neck was fine - the extra white dots were very discreet. They're barely visible on the photos on Bass Direct's site.

I didn't get on with the body at all, though.

Edited by knirirr

I think its a Musicman Sabre. He had that on a stand when i saw him in 80's altho he used the Jaydee all night if i remember right. Close up of the bass at 1:27hrs.

Think i might still have the concert programme :D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Cheers Davey lad.  I dont know much about MM's  but it didnt quite tally up. The body looked like a precision but with a pair of MM style pups. Mind you i only looked for 10 mins or so...., at 1hr 27, there's a better view and i can see its neither Precision or  Stingray

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Cheers Davey lad.  I dont know much about MM's  but it didnt quite tally up. The body looked like a precision but with a pair of MM style pups. Mind you i only looked for 10 mins or so...., at 1hr 27, there's a better view and i can see its neither Precision or  Stingray

First time i saw a Sabre bass was the bass player from King on TOTP's back in the day. The give away back then was the headstock with 3 tuners on top and one on bottom. MM were the only company doing that back then as far as i know.

Dave