Why become a member? ×

Apparently Markbass are to make bass guitars

Cuzzie

16 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That control layout is criminal. The gold hardware on a gold bass and the headstock is godawful.

the Richard Bona one is sort of ok - the More I look at it...but it misses the spot a bit (the post above about it being half curvy and half pointy...)

they won’t sell many.

3357A517-4E87-4F8B-BF01-CCA872A46101.jpeg

Think they could have made the logo bigger on the pickup?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Being serious for a moment, I like everything about the MB gear I have except for the fact that I can't buy bits or schematic to repair my broken amp myself. That stinks. 

Most companies are like that though.

Apart from fender. I got a fender vapouriser, and asked fender for the circuit diagram of it and they sent it to me, which impressed me. Mind you, that is a valve design, I doubt they would do it for something more modern.

28 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That control layout is criminal. The gold hardware on a gold bass and the headstock is godawful.

the Richard Bona one is sort of ok - the More I look at it...but it misses the spot a bit (the post above about it being half curvy and half pointy...)

they won’t sell many.

The control layout is horrible, for the same reason it is horrible on a fedora. I have nothing against gold on gold though, thats just down to choice, I can see it working, but then I don't really like gold basses.

As to whether they will sell many, that is hard to say, people buy all sorts of weird stuff.

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The control layout is horrible, for the same reason it is horrible on a fedora. I have nothing against gold on gold though, thats just down to choice, I can see it working, but then I don't really like gold basses.

As to whether they will sell many, that is hard to say, people buy all sorts of weird stuff.

The knobs are a different gold plating to the bridge...and the gold bridge is a different type of gold to the body. It’s like one of those tissue holders you see in taxis on holiday.

CB96A291-FEC3-49B6-889C-7A1C6230318F.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The knobs are a different gold plating to the bridge...and the gold bridge is a different type of gold to the body. It’s like on of those tissue holders you see in taxis on holiday.

CB96A291-FEC3-49B6-889C-7A1C6230318F.jpeg

The knobs in your pic don't look quite real.  It looks more like a Photoshop job.

The other pic on the previous page looks a bit more realistic. 

I'm not defending it though, it's still ghastly!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I like Markbass amps (cabs not so much) and while those basses don't repulse me, they aren't awfully exciting. 

Like with every other instrument, it would be a case of playing one rather than prejudging it. 

+1 ^^

You've pretty much nailed it with every single statement there bassbiscuits

And seriously, if folk want to understand garish, just check the pic below for a new offering from a much LOVED bass maker (being covered on another thread). Not all new products are going to be hits for either every existing or potential customer.

But it's wonderful that new ideas and products are coming to market all the time. Some of them will fly and as a result not every one will be playing a Fender P bass through a SVT valve amp and 8x10 cab.

Which of you are not excited or interested in what is going to be coming out of NAMM 2019 or find it offensive that it's happening in the first place, because the 'world doesn't need another [fill in the blank]'?

A0BE4358-1C4B-40A9-81D8-B5EA91D47AD5.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest gazzatriumph
On 15/01/2019 at 23:03, The59Sound said:

Don't worry - someone still can't get over being called out for the TC RH450 being the best amp... in the world. 😂

It's second best, the RH 750 is the best. 

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Most companies are like that though.

Apart from fender. I got a fender vapouriser, and asked fender for the circuit diagram of it and they sent it to me, which impressed me. Mind you, that is a valve design, I doubt they would do it for something more modern.

The guys I've used to fix amps in the past have always been able to work on them without a problem. Many different brands. Not MB. I have to courier it to the approved repair company. Not cool.

On 19/01/2019 at 11:42, AndyTravis said:

they won’t sell many.

3357A517-4E87-4F8B-BF01-CCA872A46101.jpeg

I just noticed: this is not a real photo. Those knobs are photoshopped on there. That. Is Weird. Funny how they strung it with D'Addario by the way. I think I would string my promo bass with unrecognizable strings (so no Fenders or D'Addario's).

56 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I just noticed: this is not a real photo. Those knobs are photoshopped on there. That. Is Weird. Funny how they strung it with D'Addario by the way. I think I would string my promo bass with unrecognizable strings (so no Fenders or D'Addario's).

and the Markbass logo on the pickups is not on the full size photos either...

1) It’s really common for manufacturers to not send out schematics for current products when they have an official service centre.

2) It’s really common for product photos to be photoshopped in some way. The marketing process for anything is a long road and product photography often happens before some final design tweaks are made. 

I’ll see if I can grab some time with the MB basses at NAMM and report back!

Si

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2019 at 19:40, Sibob said:

1) It’s really common for manufacturers to not send out schematics for current products when they have an official service centre.

True, which is why I was impressed with fender doing so. I guess it is different for valves, it is pretty easy to work out the circuit anyway

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I wondered that on Scott Devines new bass:

1386123027_Screenshot2019-02-02at11_31_53.thumb.png.ab93462fbfae253da6db7f03efb6ae86.png

Just seemed a bit crowded. Actually now I look at it, almost as random as the Markbass

Oooh that looks like a tasty P/J! (And if it's good enough for a low life like Scott, then it's certainly going to be more than good enough for me). Do you know what the make / model, is Woody? 

I actually love having more rather than less control over my EQ on my bass: it's then up to me whether I use it or not, but at least I have the choice. 

I wonder if there is a 5er version? 

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

my mistake thanks for the correction, I always get F bass and Fedora confused

I'm guessing that F basses are a whole lot cheaper than custom Fedoras, so that's a relief! 

Now I just need to see if they do a 5er with the P configuration pup in the same way that Yamaha do... :)

Never really come across F basses before, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised about something good / useful coming out of any discussion relating to Markbass!

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh that looks like a tasty P/J! (And if it's good enough for a low life like Scott, then it's certainly going to be more than good enough for me). Do you know what the make / model, is Woody? 

I actually love having more rather than less control over my EQ on my bass: it's then up to me whether I use it or not, but at least I have the choice. 

Yes, I just wondered what was needed on there.

Still, not really a good advert for the Scott Devine Overwater bass, I don't think I have seen him play that for years!