Why become a member? ×

Apparently Markbass are to make bass guitars

Cuzzie

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2019 at 19:07, fiatcoupe432 said:

Markbasses 

Richard bona 5 Kilimanjaro €3.899

richard bona kimandu 4 string version is €1459

That's them out the game then. The 4 string may survive... but modern amp manufacturers trying to branch into basses? (I state Modern because I know somebody is going to mention the F word.

Remember that Italian company that tried to branch into PA...? I can't remember their name... but they had little yellow speakers that looked like owl's eyes... Not doing so hot right now...?

34 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That's them out the game then. The 4 string may survive... but modern amp manufacturers trying to branch into basses? (I state Modern because I know somebody is going to mention the F word.

Remember that Italian company that tried to branch into PA...? I can't remember their name... but they had little yellow speakers that looked like owl's eyes... Not doing so hot right now...?

At this price point I think you’re absolutely right. These look like they should be at the £300-£500 mark to me. Thinking about it... even then I wouldn’t buy one.

• 2 years later...

I bought a new Markbass FJ1 bass a few weeks ago and really like it. Tone/electronics are very flexible. Body is lightweight spruce. The bound/blocked fretboard is very flat and fast. Overall a comfortable, great sounding, cool looking (mine is relicked white) alternative. I typically prefer to be different. 

On 28/02/2019 at 22:12, lemmywinks said:

No doubt there's some great luthiers in Italy we don't know about in a similar way that most bass players outside the UK won't have heard of Shuker etc.

I think at one time they made some half decent violins............

Remember Antonio made 11 viola da gambas, which is the real predecessor of the double bass and later...

1 hour ago, itu said:

Remember Antonio made 11 viola da gambas, which is the real predecessor of the double bass and later...

I play tenor and bass, but not the violone / great bass which as you say is the ancestor of the double bass. Viols and guitars have a common ancestor... the vihuela.  

6 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I play tenor and bass, but not the violone / great bass which as you say is the ancestor of the double bass.

Exactly, gambas can have multiple strings, frets, bows... and gambas descend from the vihuela, as you noted.

And vihuelas were the Spanish vision of the Italian lute, which itself was the fretted iteration of the Arabian oud, still played today, and which eventually seems to be the original ancestor of all our Occidental plucked and bowed instruments.