Why become a member? ×

Apparently Markbass are to make bass guitars

Cuzzie

Yes it's a bumble bee. One of the most successful colour schemes on the planet. Just saying 😂

Here's my previous 'fugly' (well according to some) combo. Which just happened to knock any other combo I've come across out of the park!! Has more headroom than St Pauls (500W RMS through it's single 1x12 speaker without an extension cab). Weighed just 37 lbs.

Arguably the best gigging combo available. That worked for me! 

combo_121_lite_front.jpg__600x600_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Quite like the look of the new amp. Don't mind the black/yellow colour scheme on the amps but really dislike the yellow speakers from an aesthetic point of view. Never actually tried one, though. At least I don't think I have.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Yes it's a bumble bee. One of the most successful colour schemes on the planet. Just saying 😂

Here's my previous 'fugly' (well according to some) combo. Which just happened to knock any other combo I've come across out of the park!! Has more headroom than St Pauls (500W RMS through it's single 1x12 speaker without an extension cab). Weighed just 37 lbs.

Bees are dying out, man. Haven't you heard? It's a tragedy.

Anyway, rest assured none of my comments are aimed at the quality of the gear, which I'm sure is very nice.

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Bees are dying out, man. Haven't you heard? It's a tragedy.

Anyway, rest assured none of my comments are aimed at the quality of the gear, which I'm sure is very nice.

To first point if / when they do, so will we.

To the second: I know - it's all good BC banter :) 

Dunno about you, but when I buy gear, quality, portability and value for money don't figure at all for me. I purely go on avoiding bumble bee looks cos pubs generally turn me away in case punters start throwing things at the amp 😂

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That’s an owl’s eye

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

To first point if / when they do, so will we.

To the second: I know - it's all good BC banter :) 

Dunno about you, but when I buy gear, quality, portability and value for money don't figure at all for me. I purely go on avoiding bumble bee looks cos pubs generally turn me away in case punters start throwing things at the amp 😂

How stuff looks matters to me. It's a bit of an odd concept, I know.

Maybe Markbass are spending all their money on R&D, and can only afford to pay wasps to do their front-end design? In which case, fair play to 'em.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

For the record I don't disagree. 

Design matters. For sure. Particularly (for me anyway) with bass guitars (and btw I'm not defending the design of these new MB basses - I won't be buying one either!)

For other gear, it's the icing on the cake though e.g. a pedal may look good but that's irrelevant if it's a pants pedal.

Edited by Al Krow

Anyone who walks into a gig can tell the bass player is using Markbass from the back of the room. That's good marketing. As good as the colour of Orange amps, the blue bits on Acoustic cabs, the stripes of Peavey and Trace Elliot's UV light. 

Every mark bass rig I've heard, mostly combo's, but some stacks, has sounded good. My LM2 was a great sounding amp.

I'm surprised they are going into the instrument market, but Peavey made it work, so I guess, if they have done their homework, they could be a success. They're probably not at the boutique end of the scale, but if they are challenging at the SIre end they might carve out a chunk of the market. If MB came out with a range of "Fender" basses they'd be slagged off. They didn't and they get slagged off anyway!  I'll wait to comment until I see real reviews of what they sound and play like.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That one looks good though. Obviously tastes are personal but I don't think the yellow/black scheme is the problem. That's fine.

it's those ugly greens and the green/yellow combo that irks me. and also that "gold" colour they have on their basses is so...boring and unappealing. to me at least.

1 minute ago, gazhowe said:

Is that a spirit level in the middle?  If so, I’m not sure if that’s are good or bad thing for those of us with OCD. 😳😆

It's a REAL valve. It's probably got a light behind it that glows and everything.

It complements the 'Luxury chocolate' 'Gold Line' font perfectly. It screams class, man.

I quite like the Bona bass, with a few reservations. The blunt headstock looks like it's had a bandsaw accident, and the angle of that G tuner is all wrong. And the ramp should be either clear acrylic or body wood, or not there at all. As it is, the huge expanse of black looks ugly. I quite like the body shape, with that tail cutaway that reminds me of Stanley Clarke's Spellbinder. 
But the world needs yet another P or J bass like it needs a hole in the head ozone layer.

On 14/01/2019 at 12:00, ped said:

TBH the Bona Bass looks OK sideways but not great standing up. Still, don't understand the negativity here, variety is the spice of life and all... just don't buy one?!

Indeed. All ugly basses seem to burn the same way when you set them on fire.

Bit off topic but here's how a proper P with J pickups should look and sound, Jeff Andrews likes this configuration. I'm not sure what the green one is that he's playing right now (looks like an Alleva headstock maybe?), but in the video he plays a battered old Fender. I'm not a big fan of the fusion stuff he was known for but I love his playing and tone.

49798885_2112075905574072_66140023488029

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ped said:

That's got to be the most hideous mismatched colour body/scratchplate combo I've ever seen

I'd normally agree it's a little 'pervy' but it looks good when you see it in context. Having looked into it, it is an Alleva and I'm pretty sure it started life as a sunburst. It's Jeff Andrews, if he says snot-burst & tort is a good combo, who are we to judge.