Why become a member? ×

Apparently Markbass are to make bass guitars

Cuzzie

4 hours ago, BassAgent said:

As someone in the Talkbass topic mentioned: that J/P-thingamabob is something we as bass players don't need, and that Kilimanjaro looks suspiciously like a mix between the Zon Sonus en Legacy... Lots of Hyperbass styling in there as well. I'm not a big fan of Markbass amps (which is an understatement) and not a big fan of these either.

Actually that J/P combination is something I'd be really interested in, I love the idea of a traditional P body with 2 J pickups. The gold styling and the ugly headstock are not my cup of tea at all, but the J/P thing works really well for people who like J basses but don't get on with the body shape. 

• Like 1

I don't own a mb amp yet but I will hopefully purchase one soon !!!

I do understand that lookwise is a bit marmite  but honestly I don't care how it looks but performance wise only few are up there with Mark bass ! 

Excellent quality amps !!!

regarding the bass I don't really like them and I guess the could have done better design wise but again you might play one and fell in love with it ( ok maybe you want buy it as you don't like the look ) but you might be blown away , with Mark bass you never really know ! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

I don't own a mb amp yet but I will hopefully purchase one soon !!!

I do understand that lookwise is a bit marmite  but honestly I don't care how it looks but performance wise only few are up there with Mark bass ! 

Excellent quality amps !!!

regarding the bass I don't really like them and I guess the could have done better design wise but again you might play one and fell in love with it ( ok maybe you want buy it as you don't like the look ) but you might be blown away , with Mark bass you never really know ! 

You're unlikely to be disappointed by your new MB amp - which one are you going for?

Couldn't help but think what a balanced and well put 432 bhp answer! Bravo :) 

8 hours ago, project_c said:

Actually that J/P combination is something I'd be really interested in, I love the idea of a traditional P body with 2 J pickups. The gold styling and the ugly headstock are not my cup of tea at all, but the J/P thing works really well for people who like J basses but don't get on with the body shape. 

But those exist :) I don't understand that Markbass does this. They revolutionised the bass amp world with their light weight stuff (I don't like how they sound, but that's a different story) and now they make a bass that already exists? Even Squier made them.

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

But those exist :) I don't understand that Markbass does this. They revolutionised the bass amp world with their light weight stuff (I don't like how they sound, but that's a different story) and now they make a bass that already exists? Even Squier made them.

Yeah true. I think they were looking at things like that Olinto P-bass and the Spector Coda and maybe G&L and some higher end Japanese stuff (Moon etc) and thinking they could do something along those lines, Fender-ish but a bit more fancy, but the design skills are not quite there. If you’re going to come out with a Fender copy, there needs to be more to it than a splash of gold. Either go full vintage, or full high quality super-j, but this seems like it’s just going for bling and a bit of novelty with the pickups. Maybe it’s nicer in real life than in the photos.

That new tube amp looks very nice though, as does the compressor.

• Like 1

Problem I have with them is not that they are vile or divide opinion, that is normally a good thing, if a load of people hate it, it will be someones rickenbacker. Its just the fact that they are really.. well, meh. I couldn't really hate it. Or like it. In fact, by the time I got this far down the thread I forgot what they looked like again. 

20 minutes ago, project_c said:

That new tube amp looks very nice though, as does the compressor.

The Little Mark Vintage amp looks to be their most aesthetically pleasing amp to-date IMO, granted that's not saying much given the bench.

I really like my LMT, I assume it won't be too different tonally and the addition of the foot switchable mute is very welcome.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Markbass seem to churn out new products all the time. 

And that is why they will thrive. Not every new product will be a hit (e.g. these new basses by the looks of it and the reaction on this thread), but some of them will.

Their earlier amp range e.g LM3 had some massive holes in the EQ (e.g. between high mids at 800Hz and treble at 10kHz). They listened and the new range have excellent EQ points.

Their desire to innovate and succeed is something I applaud.

Who buys Marshall bass amps these days?

Just now, Al Krow said:

At least they can be arsed to have UK retailers. Not every Polish maker some folk rave about has been bothered to do that, have they? 😂

The Polish maker some folk rave about are a small operation, building to order. Mark Bass are a bit more off-the-shelf.