Why become a member? ×

Apparently Markbass are to make bass guitars

Cuzzie

As someone in the Talkbass topic mentioned: that J/P-thingamabob is something we as bass players don't need, and that Kilimanjaro looks suspiciously like a mix between the Zon Sonus en Legacy... Lots of Hyperbass styling in there as well. I'm not a big fan of Markbass amps (which is an understatement) and not a big fan of these either.

Well, those Richard Bona basses look horrible.

I can imagine the design meeting where they couldn't figure if they should have a smooth outline or pointy. Let's have both!! That won't look weird!! Let's make a headstock like a fender. That always gets people to buy stuff. Shall we make it look like a hippo has bitten off the back of the bass? Oh man, this is going great! Let's do a massive pickup that might have a ramp in the middle. That's never divisive on looks. I think we're done here. This is a WINNER! 

Or alternatively, this is an object lesson in how to design something totally hideous.

• Haha 3

Images of Bona's new signature have been going around for a while now, and I'm not a fan at all, but each to their own I guess.
The design isn't all that original though, as mentioned above and all over TalkBass.

A P/J hybrid is at least a slightly different stab at yet another Super Jazz, but it certainly misses the mark for me.

I much preferred the look of Bona's Fodera is I'm honest, but I do like those cooky single cut basses...

Wow - as someone who actually likes the Markbass amp designs/stylings (except the Ninja green) - those basses are umm, well.

With the greatest respect to my eldest, who is pretty good at art for a 10yr old - I think she could have done better if I'd shown her the first 50 different bass designs on Google Images and asked her to design 2 basses that look roughly like basses but not exactly the same as any of the others.

'I know, put 6 knobs on a Fender and make it so Goldenyou'll think it's a villain's weapon from Doctor Who.

The Richard Bona one looks interesting, but I doubt they'll sell many.

As for the other one, whilst I'm sure it'll be the more popular of the two, it's another entry into a saturated market, what are they offering that no-one else is? And is there a market for that? I've not seen many people callijg out for a P bass shape with J electronics.

I can't much see the logic in MB expanding into the instrument market and suspect most of the people playing them will be endorsees.

Honestly, no offense to the company, but Markbass art has always looked hideous to me. Most of it seems done by a 15-year old who's just starting on Photoshop and wants to be an artist.

The colour scheme is horrible (especially on those Ninja amps, yellow + green makes me puke - and it literally reminds me of puke).

These new basses also look awful to me, both aesthetically and pratically. Way too overloaded, tons of features that have been done before and probably way better by other brands. No originality, nothing new, just rehashing used concepts and painting the ugly Markbass logo in there.

No offense to them but they always seemed like such a generic company. I know some people like their sound & visuals. Even though the sound isn't my cup of tea I can respect people who like it but I have no idea how people put up with their visuals.

Seriously, how can anyone look at THIS and think it looks "cool" ? Looks like something I'd do in art class in the 5th grade.

14 minutes ago, kyuuga said:

You're trying to tell me they paid someone to make THIS logo for them?

21 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

They're in a race to the bottom with Ashdown.

I think Ashdown do a pretty good job with the look and feel of most of their products, not necessarily to everyone's liking but I think for the large part they've always looked considered and professional.
I also think the logo is great, it tips the hat to the other non-bass influences that got them going at the beginning, classic cars etcs.

Eude

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eude said:

I think Ashdown do a pretty good job with the look and feel of most of their products, not necessarily to everyone's liking but I think for the large part they've always looked considered and professional.
I also think the logo is great, it tips the hat to the other non-bass influences that got them going at the beginning, classic cars etcs.

Eude

I really don't see it myself. Sometimes I get what they're going for, but they just look like flimsy and tacky repros.

Edited by wateroftyne

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I really don't see it myself. Sometimes I get what they're going for, but they just look like flimsy and tacky repros.

It's all subjective I guess.

At least so far we're all agreed the new Bona bass mings though, on here and Talkbass!

TBH the Bona Bass looks OK sideways but not great standing up. Still, don't understand the negativity here, variety is the spice of life and all... just don't buy one?!

Sometimes I find basses that look nice are horrible in the hand' or vice versa. 

The most offensive though is another P bass, ffs... but I guess session pros will need one

• Haha 5