Why become a member? ×

Amp Quandry... Amp or Active PA / FRFR?

Skybone

You might find the Mackie SRM450 better suited to your needs. £350 new but you ought to be able to pick one up second hand within your budget.  Have a more neutral sound than the Thump. We use a pair for our PA and sometimes put the bass and drums through them.

14 hours ago, Skybone said:

Jeez, I keep going round in circles here. Been looking at various active participation speakers, like the RCF ART & the Yamaha DBR, but then I'm back into dedicated bass combo territory. Where you could pick up a 300w+ combo for the same money, if not less.

I have seen the Headrush FRFR for a reasonable price, but it's obviously designed for our guitar playing colleagues. Is it good with bass? Who knows. 

I'm predominantly wanting/needing something that will give some bass on stage, so the rest of the band can hear what I'm playing. A PA speaker setup would be ideal, but there again, so would a decent combo with an effects loop.

The Headrush is basically the same as the ALTO 312 with an altered nameplate (alto do claim a couple of other tweaks). Our drummer uses the 312 as a drum monitor and is OK with  it but wishes he had chosen the 315. 

I think I'm back in the bass amp camp. The affordable FRFR's would appear to not be quite up to the task of handling bass that we'll, where more expensive ones are similarly priced or more expensive than a decent dedicated bass combo.

FFS...

• 2 weeks later...

It's arrived.

First impressions, very pleased, seems solid, well built and not too heavy (circa 24kg).

The amp would appear to be a MAG Evo III, in the cabinet of a Rootmaster 2x10. Can't see the speakers behind the grille, so no idea which ones are being used. The important thing for me, is that the Effects Return socket is on the front panel, so I can plug the HD in without having to fumble around the rear panel.

Only tried it briefly at home (relatively quiet), and happy with the sound, though the Volume still needs to be used. No biggie. Not tried it with the just the bass, might be worth experimenting with, as it also has a built in Compressor, Overdrive and Sub Octave, as well as the Bright & Deep switches.

Will be taking it along to the next rehearsal session and see how it fares with the full band.

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this is an old thread but I find myself in a similar situation. I already own a Rumble 500 - it has a compression horn driver by the way so it can handle high frequencies. I also own a Helix Floor and an HX stomp, and am looking at swapping that out for a NeuralDSP Quad Cortex. I also own a Headrush FRFR (as I also play guiter through the helix) which is woefully inadequate for Bass. I did just find this though which looks interesting - will give it a go later:

https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/fender-rumble-500-frequencies/

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 11:09, Skybone said:

Seen a Mackie Thump 12A for a decent price, ant the blurb say they're designed to handle extra bass.

Sorry only just seen this but I would not use the Thump. They are bass heavy and not FRFR at all.

• Like 1

Headrush is an ALTO in disguise.

Personally think THUMP is very poor; seen multiple failures.

RCF is better choice but 12" if you can swing it.

Budget choices would be ALTO and BEHRINGER (15")

I use YAMAHA DXR 12" but am old school and still prefer my combo amp (AER amp 3). If you are always with a soundman, FRFR is OK but I like the comfort of something nearby with knobs to tweak. Budget combo would be a Fender Rumble V3 - light and good sounds depending on your genre. Even cheaper would be the Behringer BXD with claims of massive watts! Not tried one. 

No substitute for trying before you buy. Have fun!

On 26/05/2021 at 16:48, Chapps said:

I also own a Headrush FRFR (as I also play guiter through the helix) which is woefully inadequate for Bass.

Interested in how? 
I use a Headrush 112 and find it to be great for bass. 90% of the time mine is used as a monitor for electric drums, backing tracks, my vocal and bass. Sometimes I’ll put some guitar through it.
I’ve used it like a traditional amp/cab too, with my Stomp and it does a great job. 

I remember this thread! :D 

The AMP is still going strong, as is the HD500x (might have played with settings and the like over the years, but it still sounds great). Plug the HD into the Effects Return, and bypass the amp's pre-amp.

Do not regret going for a bog standard bass combo in any way over an FRFR, as I know it definitely can handle the bass frequencies, and has more than enough power for any rehearsal / gig situation (it's been gigged a number of times). 

I’m using an HX Effects -> VT Bass DI -> Alto TS310. The alto was £223 from PMT.

it sounds great and you can definitely feel it smack the back of your legs when played loud. It’s never been short of volume in a band setting, and if it ever does then there’s an XLR out with ground lift. It even speaks clearly on the low B!