Why become a member? ×

In praise of the TC Spectracomp

Owen

I know in theory that this should be in FX but bear with me. I have a Korean MTD - it is ridiculously comfy and light.  I got a new pickup custom wound for it becuase I cannot leave things alone.The response is a bit weedy really. I put it through a TC Spectracomp in Church tonight and the difference was astounding. It was full and throaty and superbly balanced all the way from the bottom to the top. And they are dirt cheap. Do yourself a favour.

• Like 3

Mine went back in the cupboard when I grabbed my Helix, but unlike other pedals I did not sell it. It's aways going to be a pedal to hold on to as it can do so much more than just it's default settings. As it has a crossover on board, I have in the past used it as a 'preshape' equaliser! 

Following from the first couple of responses, two questions from me, if I may:

Helix users - what patch and settings are you using that means you can dispense with your Spectracomp? 

Spectracomp lovers - what setting is working best for you? And what basses are you playing with. 

I've found that 2/10 (9 o'clock) on the factory preset out the box is pretty good for a range of basses but a Yamaha BB1025 on P or P/J would be a good example here. 

I too don’t use my SC at the moment, but I’m never going to sell it. After a brief fling with a Cali I went back to it, but then realised the audience will never know if I’m using it or not so took it off the board (😏). 

I will use it again, and do enjoy using it with the Rockwall or Rockateer tone prints. 

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Has anyone used a Spectracomp and an EBS Multicomp? How do they compare?

I've had both but there were many years between the two. The Spectracomp is way more versatile. But I think comps are set and forget pedals for a lot of us so this may not be an issue. The EBS is still a great pedal.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 11:18, Graham said:

Has anyone used a Spectracomp and an EBS Multicomp? How do they compare?

I alternate between the two of them and I do like them both. I did find that in my situation the EBS works better with drive type pedals, and I guess I could get the Spectracomp to work better with them  but being lazy I can't be bothered to adjust the parameters. I did try the EBS as a limiter at the end of the chain with the Spectracomp at the beginning but it doesn't make a great limiter and I use my MXR M87 for that purpose.

2018-12-03 12.53.10.jpg

I am lazy but because someone else has done all the hard work I spun through all the spectracomp tone prints. No no no no no no yes no no yes no no. But the yes is very yes for me. YMMV.

I have one in Church and one at home. I guess I could have my stock sound on one and the NY double compression thing on the other. I must try that. 

Edited by owen