Why become a member? ×

Best TC BG250 Combo Speaker config

bigevilman

Hi Guys

Not gigged for the last couple of years so decided to downgrade my rig to a small home combo. Looking at the TC BG250 as I've had a TC head before and quite enjoyed it.

Looking for people's opinion on the best speaker config - I know the 208 is the only one that has the BH250 head loaded in, but do the speakers stack up?

Would love opinions :)

10 minutes ago, bigevilman said:

Hi Guys

Not gigged for the last couple of years so decided to downgrade my rig to a small home combo. Looking at the TC BG250 as I've had a TC head before and quite enjoyed it.

Looking for people's opinion on the best speaker config - I know the 208 is the only one that has the BH250 head loaded in, but do the speakers stack up?

Mine’s OK for home use. Wouldn’t trust it for anything louder.

The position of the power button is a PITA, and as a whole, it’s very mid-shy.

i don’t seek sonic perfection for home use, though.

I've got the BG250-208. I replaced the stock Eminence speakers with a pair of Fane Sovereign 8-225 units (a. Mod which was recommended by various users here on Basschat). This mod means that the combo runs the full potential 250 Watts output through 4 ohms (the standard speakers run at 8 ohm drawing a maximum of 150 Watts - only obtaining the 250 Watts if an extension cabinet is plugged in to the standard layout). The Fane speakers have a wider frequency range than the standard units too, which is another bonus. 

The combo is plenty loud!! Here's a clip of the unit being used last month in King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow (clip is from soundcheck with the band December). 

I've used the little combo on quite a few gigs and it has always performed well. There's also a direct DI out to feed the front of house guys too. I've also got a larger TC rig for larger gigs, but for smaller venues, the ability to carry the 208 combo with one hand is a no-brainer. 

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I use the 208 combo and also the 250 head into a One10. Value for money they certainly are. I would recommend to download Spectracomp and with a built in tuner they are such a convenient rig. The 208 is more polite than the head into a larger cab, but it projects well. I'm very satisfied with mine. Worth a try if you're looking for a small footprint and light weight. As a home combo - great.

Replacing the stock speakers with Fane 8-125's or 8-225's adds loudness, heft and weight but disallows the use of the spkr ext o/p.

Edited by grandad

On 13/01/2019 at 12:52, bigevilman said:

Hi Guys

I found that for small gigs mine is perfect. Anything with a full kit I connect a 1X10 and it really punches above it's weight. 

I actually sold my BG250-208 with the Fane upgrade this week. I advertised it on Facebook, and literally within 20 seconds I had sold it. Scott from the band December snapped it up (that's the band in the clip above). 

Great little, and powerful, combo with a great sound for its diminutive size.