Why become a member? ×

Case/bag options for wireless systems

Muppet

What are people using to transport their IEM or wireless systems? Mine is standard half rack size with rear antenna. Racking isn't an option as I use a Helix floor and play in multiple bands so need something more flexible. I use a generic camera case at the moment so have to unpack and set up for each gig but are there any better options? 

Steve

I use a Gator GM-1W  (Line 6 G55 for the bass) and Gator In ear monitor bag for my IEM system (LD MEI 1000 G2 for IEM's). Both are well made and have decent zips and loads of storage for odds and sods. If anything I prefer the smaller In ear monitor bag but the rear cut away when it's unzipped was in the wrong place for the G55 antennae (but spot on for the IEM transmitter) so I picked up the GM-1W which is a better fit for the Line 6 unit. Both bags also allow you to leave the units in a semi set up state too with the power supply still connected and the antennae still in place.   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Could you mount wireless and Helix onto a single board, in something like a Stagg pedalboard case?

Hi thanks for that suggestion. Could work although I have the Helix backpack already but maybe the case could be a better idea!

On 20/01/2019 at 01:40, Jack said:

Simple, swap to the helix rack. 😛

Having previously used The Line 6 Bass Pod with their Shortboard controller I remain to be convinced of the robustness of a CAT5 cable to connect the rack Helix and it's foot controller in a gigging environment. 

I'd go for mounting the wireless system along with the Helix in a pedal board flight case (which is what I am about to do).

40 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Having previously used The Line 6 Bass Pod with their Shortboard controller I remain to be convinced of the robustness of a CAT5 cable to connect the rack Helix and it's foot controller in a gigging environment. 

I'd go for mounting the wireless system along with the Helix in a pedal board flight case (which is what I am about to do).

I've only had the helix for about a year but I had a kemper for ages before that and I've never had a problem. They're light, cheap, replaceable and and I've never had one break. They use them for digital snakes all the time, albeit often with dual ethernet cable runs as backups I guess.

Anyway I was only partly being serious... 🙂

12 hours ago, Jack said:

I've only had the helix for about a year but I had a kemper for ages before that and I've never had a problem. They're light, cheap, replaceable and and I've never had one break. They use them for digital snakes all the time, albeit often with dual ethernet cable runs as backups I guess.

In the Terrortones I used to go through a standard CAT5 cable every 6-8 weeks (which approximately 20 gigs and rehearsals). The main problem I found was that they wouldn't coil properly or lie flat on stage due to the nature of the wire(s) inside them, and the retaining clips on the plugs would eventually snap off rendering them useless, since the plugs only fit in the socket securely due to the clip.

Eventually I got Van Damme to make me up some very expensive replacements (about £100 for two 5m cables IIRC) with supposedly coilable CAT5 cable and heavy duty shrouded plugs. These have proved to be more durable, although the first still failed after about 18 months of gigging and rehearsing twice a week - eventually the coilable cable stopped being coilable and shortly after that the lead stopped working reliably. The second cable that has has considerably less use is still working OK.

When you consider that I have jack and XLR cables I made almost 30 years ago that have suffered to same level of use and are still going strong, you can appreciate why I am reluctant to recommend any solution that uses computer components in a situation where they are unplugged and moved on a regular basis.

This is actually for my IEM system rather than wireless so after the Gator recommendations above I found this on that I've ordered. If it turns out to be no good I think I'll go down a case with shaped foam.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Gator-GM-1WEVAA-EVA-Foam-Single-Wireless-System-Case/D3M

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

In the Terrortones I used to go through a standard CAT5 cable every 6-8 weeks (which approximately 20 gigs and rehearsals). The main problem I found was that they wouldn't coil properly or lie flat on stage due to the nature of the wire(s) inside them, and the retaining clips on the plugs would eventually snap off rendering them useless, since the plugs only fit in the socket securely due to the clip.

Eventually I got Van Damme to make me up some very expensive replacements (about £100 for two 5m cables IIRC) with supposedly coilable CAT5 cable and heavy duty shrouded plugs. These have proved to be more durable, although the first still failed after about 18 months of gigging and rehearsing twice a week - eventually the coilable cable stopped being coilable and shortly after that the lead stopped working reliably. The second cable that has has considerably less use is still working OK.

When you consider that I have jack and XLR cables I made almost 30 years ago that have suffered to same level of use and are still going strong, you can appreciate why I am reluctant to recommend any solution that uses computer components in a situation where they are unplugged and moved on a regular basis.

Ouch, that does seem like you'd be against them after that, I know I would! What were you using them for? Rack to floorboard or something else?

I dunno, I might have more of a concern for mine if they were 'necessary', you know? But honestly, if the cable between my rack and the floorboard fails (which hasn't happened to me at all in over 3 years of Kemper or Helix use) then I could wait until a set break to replace it without worry. The floorboard isn't mission critical for me I guess.

The nice ones that I use are £8 on Amazon, and if one wants they can be had for a lot less than that. If they ever broke I wouldn't be upset.

23 minutes ago, Jack said:

Ouch, that does seem like you'd be against them after that, I know I would! What were you using them for? Rack to floorboard or something else?

I dunno, I might have more of a concern for mine if they were 'necessary', you know? But honestly, if the cable between my rack and the floorboard fails (which hasn't happened to me at all in over 3 years of Kemper or Helix use) then I could wait until a set break to replace it without worry. The floorboard isn't mission critical for me I guess.

The nice ones that I use are £8 on Amazon, and if one wants they can be had for a lot less than that. If they ever broke I wouldn't be upset.

Bass Pod Rack to Shortboard.

For The Terrortones I would normally have a variation on each sound with a bit more drive on it just to fill out the sound during the solos, so loosing the connection between the pedals and the Bass Pod wasn't the end of the world.

However for one of the bands I am playing with at the moment each song has it's own patch with anywhere between 2 and 4 snapshots per patch for switch between a verse, chorus and "solo" sounds. Without the ability the change sound mid-song they just wouldn't sound right, which was instrumental in my deciding to get the floor version of the Helix rather than the rack and separate foot pedals.

IMO CAT5 cables belong in an office environment only where they connect the computers and other equipment to the closest wall network socket, and are completely out of the way. The only time they should be touched is if some equipment they are attached to is being replaced or if you have an office layout reorganisation, in which case I've usually taken the opportunity to chuck all the old cables away and replace them with brand new ones.

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Muppet, you're looking in the wrong places and asking the wrong people. :)

The people you should be talking to are anglers.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fishing-tackle/luggage

They outnumber musicians by roughly 100:1 and their gear has to be cheaper and more rugged than ours.

Just make sure that the case you buy is specified for use by bass fishermen.