Why become a member? ×

Using headphones on stage

Billleivers

47 minutes ago, jacko said:

Paul Gilbert (of Mr Big fame) has used giant headphones on stage for years. Still looks as cool as ever.

EX29s. To be honest, unless you can play like PG, nobody really is in a position to pass comment about the coolness of his headphones! 😛

• Like 1

The ATH M50's are in the same league as Sennheiser HD 25 and Beyerdynamic DT770 pro cans. Fine for your average studio or home practice work, might be ok on stage but aren't high-end. That means they are replaceable so not a bad thing. See if you can borrow a pair to try out!

I don't wish to sound downbeat, but just as a word of caution, and please don't be alarmed, but the relatively quick loss of hearing in my left ear was the result of an acoustic neuroma which required surgery. Have you been to your doctors about you condition? Its very rare (about 1 in 100,000) and is completely treatable, just to be on the safe side please see your GP.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acoustic-neuroma/symptoms-causes/syc-20356127

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

They look like Vic Firth VFSIH1s. If you don't mind the visuals of them, they seem to offer (going from the specs) similar isolation to custom IEMs... but at a lesser price - because they can use bigger, cheaper dynamic drivers to deliver the sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again guys for the advice.. Acoustic neuroma - thanks Skidder. I had an MRI scan to eliminate that possibility. TBH I'm terrified of a possible Menieres diagnosis, but if that's what I have, it's very atypical, ie no vertigo, and it's not episodal. Looking on the bright side, I can do everything I want to do right now, despite the tinnitus and distortion.  Hearing aids help in normal life and I can get by with moulded ear plugs for most gigs. I've got hold of a pair of EX29's which are great and promising for live work. However, low frequency sound isolation is pretty poor, but I guess thats true of all over ear headphones. 

I just hope my symptoms don't get significantly worse, as that might well be game up. If that's the case, to quote a cliche, I've had a bloody good innings! I'm 67, been playing for 45 years and had some great times and played some amazing gigs. If you told me 45 years ago that I'd still be playing now, I wouldn't have believed you!

11 hours ago, Billleivers said:

Thanks again guys for the advice.. Acoustic neuroma - thanks Skidder. I had an MRI scan to eliminate that possibility. TBH I'm terrified of a possible Menieres diagnosis, but if that's what I have, it's very atypical, ie no vertigo, and it's not episodal. Looking on the bright side, I can do everything I want to do right now, despite the tinnitus and distortion.  Hearing aids help in normal life and I can get by with moulded ear plugs for most gigs. I've got hold of a pair of EX29's which are great and promising for live work. However, low frequency sound isolation is pretty poor, but I guess thats true of all over ear headphones. 

I just hope my symptoms don't get significantly worse, as that might well be game up. If that's the case, to quote a cliche, I've had a bloody good innings! I'm 67, been playing for 45 years and had some great times and played some amazing gigs. If you told me 45 years ago that I'd still be playing now, I wouldn't have believed you!

Good luck with your journey going forwards! - you may find that the EX29s will be enough - low end is always going to get through to a certain extent - but when everything is going on, it will all get absorbed into the mix in your ears. It will sound different - but like most things involving change, it takes a bit of getting used to.