Why become a member? ×

A Conundrum

bubinga5

Its difficult to find bands who are into the music that I'm into.That being soul funk etc. Two bands. One is original electro pop (think Cars) ,5 band members.  the other is a covers band with these songs. 

The One I Love

Make Me Smile

Stray Cat Strut

Crazy Little Thing

Park Life

Mustang Sally

Heroes

Dakota

Im not really into this music and I have to learn them by Tuesday which is not a problem . Im thinking it would do me some good to meet new musicians and learn new songs. I hate to let people down as I've said I will be there. But the music just doesn't do it for me. BUT it's paid. The other band being not paid..Im uninspired to  even learn them. My conundrum. Maybe I should turn up and say look I haven't learned any of the songs but lets just have a jam to see what there made of. Im so used to jamming on the spot. Its just an awkward situation. 

If we were auditioning a new member and they told us that they hadn't learned the songs that we'd asked for then that would be the end of the audition. If it's a covers band then you will need to learn covers unless I am misunderstanding what you have said?

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2

I  only know that i wouldnt join the pay band.  That music is all over the place. There's absolutely no genre to speak of, unlike your other band of electric pop, which you will know exactly what you're gonna get.

What type of audience is the pay band trying to please ..or attract ?

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

My 2 cents would be if you don’t want to play the music and don’t need the money, don’t go to the audition and tell them as soon as possible that you are not going to go, no use in going into an audition half hearted.

Thst being said it’s always easier to find a new band when you are in a band.  But if you go down this route learn the material and give it your all...

I've experienced a similar feeling when a band  who asked me to audition for sent me their setlist and my heart sunk. I got back to them and said 'really its not for me' and they said 'well come along anyway and see if you like us' I did and they were nice guys but the material was not inspiring enough for me to join them however. 

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Its difficult to find bands who are into the music that I'm into.That being soul funk etc. Two bands. One is original electro pop (think Cars) ,5 band members.  the other is a covers band with these songs. 

The One I Love

Make Me Smile

Stray Cat Strut

Crazy Little Thing

Park Life

Mustang Sally

Heroes

Dakota

Im not really into this music and I have to learn them by Tuesday which is not a problem . Im thinking it would do me some good to meet new musicians and learn new songs. I hate to let people down as I've said I will be there. But the music just doesn't do it for me. BUT it's paid. The other band being not paid..Im uninspired to  even learn them. My conundrum. Maybe I should turn up and say look I haven't learned any of the songs but lets just have a jam to see what there made of. Im so used to jamming on the spot. Its just an awkward situation. 

Years ago I would of joined a band just to play and believe me I have played some real cheezy crap over the years that would make you cringe and the run of the mill dirge ect….like yourself I cannot bring myself to do something I just wont enjoy so have almost resigned myself to the fact that I probably wont play live again...awful thought I know but I don't let it get me down like it used too...good luck in your search.

My two penn'orth?

If you don't like the music then even if you put your own tastes aside and do it you'll very quickly get disenchanted and start to hate it.

So why even go there? Tell them now that you're not going and then find something you do want to do....

• Like 2

Being in a covers band, most of the music we play is rarely my cup of tea.  But the upside is that playing it gets us much more gigs, bigger audiences and money.  The buzz comes from pleasing the audience and enjoying the atmosphere.  It's a lot of fun! I'd love to also get the buzz from playing my taste in music but the two rarely cross over.  Cover bands are a different world which needs a different approach.  I'd say learn the songs, give it your all and see where it goes.  You might enjoy it in a way you didn't expect.  Like others have said, don't go for a jam, that'll not go down well.  Good luck!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I'd be annoyed if you turned up to jam. 

Yeah, it’s obviously not for you @bubinga5 - if they’re trying to make a go of being (or are an existing) working band, the “hey lets jam” approach will be met with ‘but you learned the songs though?’

Having run 2 covers bands, and auditioned some members - i’d politely ask someone to leave the room if they wanted to jam (and hadn’t prepared).

Now, in an originals setting, I’d love the “hey lets jam” approach.

• Like 1

You need to form your own band.

You can do that by advertising for musicians online, or you can do it by putting yourself about (playing in bands and attending open mic nights) and picking up like minded musicians.

Or you can do what I did, join a Prog Rock band and turn them into a funk band!

I wouldn't recommend it though, as it took four years to wean them off their Genesis fixation and persuade them that Chic and James Brown was the new direction.

You're not going to make any friends by turning up to an audition, without learning any of the songs, and saying 'Hey, let's jam!'.

There is often a big difference between the music I like to listen to, and the music I like to play.

Also, occasionally after regularly playing music I like to listen to, I no longer like to listen to it!

So in IMHO, probably not worth getting bogged down with the choice of songs if everything else is good.

30 minutes ago, Japhet said:

If you're that uninspired by it I'd turn up and jam it to see how it feels. If you miss out it's not a disaster and you haven't spent your time learning stuff you don't like. It might even lead to something more enjoyable.

Problem is you’ve wasted the time of the other guys there who had spent hours/days/weeks learning this stuff. 

Additionally musicians gossip and if you’re looking to join or start another’s band, this sort of thing could spread around. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

The One I Love

Make Me Smile

Stray Cat Strut

Crazy Little Thing

Park Life

Mustang Sally

Heroes

Dakota

If you need the money... go for the paid one.

If you don't need the money... don't go for either and keep looking. One of the worst things I did in the past was settling with bands that didn't really do it for me just because I had no others on the horizon. They rarely get better, and at least I ended up resenting the time I had to invest, and didn't really do a great job as my heart wasn't in it. Best to keep looking, I think. Being in an active band requires a fair amount of work, effort... that must be compensated by a mix of financial rewards and fun. If you don't have either... the outlook is bleak, I think.

48 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Problem is you’ve wasted the time of the other guys there who had spent hours/days/weeks learning this stuff. 

Additionally musicians gossip and if you’re looking to join or start another’s band, this sort of thing could spread around. 

+1

Having someone turn up at an audition who has not prepared... I don't even want to play 5 minutes with them. I find it a bit of a fosters-take and I probably would not be very nice to them.

If you are not going to prepare... tell them now. Then it's up to them if they want to cancel, meet without you, or meet with you still regardless.

4 hours ago, gjones said:

You need to form your own band.

You can do that by advertising for musicians online, or you can do it by putting yourself about (playing in bands and attending open mic nights) and picking up like minded musicians.

Or you can do what I did, join a Prog Rock band and turn them into a funk band!

I wouldn't recommend it though, as it took four years to wean them off their Genesis fixation and persuade them that Chic and James Brown was the new direction.

You're not going to make any friends by turning up to an audition, without learning any of the songs, and saying 'Hey, let's jam!'.

It's due to people like you the prog rock bands are a critically endangered species.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Have you looked at their full set list? Are there songs in there that you would like to do? Are there songs in there that no money on earth could make you play?

If you think you could make a go of it, and maybe persuade them to bring in other material that's a bit more to your taste, then prepare properly and go for it. You've got to bear in mind that they're playing for a lowest common denominator pub crowd (or that's what I infer from the material) so are unlikely to want to do something obscure by Meshell Ndegeocello.

3 hours ago, Heathy said:

There is often a big difference between the music I like to listen to, and the music I like to play.

Also, occasionally after regularly playing music I like to listen to, I no longer like to listen to it!

So in IMHO, probably not worth getting bogged down with the choice of songs if everything else is good.

This is exactly what I feel about the music that I play in my band. There's not a single song that I'd actively listen to but I enjoy playing them with the clear exception of Valerie which I'd happily never play again but they still want us to play it so it's only a couple of minutes out of what is usually a great gig

• Like 2

I think it’s important to keep your hand in. Live music is live music as far as I’m concerned. It’s about entertaining the audience, sometimes having to win them over, but most importantly having a great time while doing it.  I play in a covers band at the moment that has a function/pub mix of tunes. 70% of it ain’t really my thing but I have a great time and rapport with the band when we play so to me it doesn’t matter. It is whatever you make of it.  Some may just play with a stale face cos it’s not their thing and just be happy to get money at the end of it,  if that’s you then fair enough, but I will always make the most of the live music moment and have fun whatever.

Rich

• Like 3

On 13/01/2019 at 14:23, Burns-bass said:

It's the nature of auditions that a lot of them are a waste of time and it goes with the territory. Sometimes something will just click, not necessarily just the music either.

On 12/01/2019 at 18:04, fleabag said:

I  only know that i wouldnt join the pay band.  That music is all over the place. There's absolutely no genre to speak of, unlike your other band of electric pop, which you will know exactly what you're gonna get.

What type of audience is the pay band trying to please ..or attract ?

Exactly. I don't know how you describe that mix let alone try to market it for paid gigs. Do they already get paid gigs or are they just saying that? Why did the last bass player leave?