Why become a member? ×

Best value strings?

StuartB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Out of curiosity I tried a Warwick red set 45-105 nickels offered on the bay for 8.99 buy a well known dealer I have bought from regularly so deffo not knocking them.

Rattled like a spanner in a saucepan despite relief up and down and action way past normal. Even buzzed up the dusty end. Rapidly fitted the old Fenders back on and reset everything, sweet as a proverbial once more to my relief (no pun intended).

As the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for'.

22 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

Out of curiosity I tried a Warwick red set 45-105 nickels offered on the bay for 8.99 buy a well known dealer I have bought from regularly so deffo not knocking them.

Rattled like a spanner in a saucepan despite relief up and down and action way past normal. Even buzzed up the dusty end. Rapidly fitted the old Fenders back on and reset everything, sweet as a proverbial once more to my relief (no pun intended).

That sounds ideal, I must get a set! 😃

2 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

Sounds like they are lower tension than the ones you normally use, that's all.

(shrug)

Adagio branded strings. I buy from ebay. Flats are really comfortable to play and nice and, well, thumpy. I also have a set of their bronze wound acoustic bass strings and they are really really nice. Not Harley benton cheap but a tenner for rounds and 15 for flats seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 21:50, stewblack said:

Adagio branded strings. I buy from ebay. Flats are really comfortable to play and nice and, well, thumpy. I also have a set of their bronze wound acoustic bass strings and they are really really nice. Not Harley Benton cheap but a tenner for rounds and 15 for flats seems reasonable to me.

I keep seeing these and wonder if they're any good...

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:50, stewblack said:

Adagio branded strings. I buy from ebay. Flats are really comfortable to play and nice and, well, thumpy. I also have a set of their bronze wound acoustic bass strings and they are really really nice. Not Harley benton cheap but a tenner for rounds and 15 for flats seems reasonable to me.

I've seen them a few times - the bronzewounds seem good value but they only appear to do them in 40-95 gauge which is a bit on the light side for me.

Anyone tried these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosetti-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Phosphor-Bronze-Strings-45-105-Gauge/223450045136?epid=655528662&hash=item3406a91ad0:g:fYkAAOSwkXhcjN62

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

The best value strings are the ones you like. The cost of strings is tiny compared with the cost of a decent instrument or amp, so why penny pinch?

I guess it's the same reason some people love Squiers - you may get close to the quality of a regular Fender for a lot less money. The thing is though, you'll never know until you try. 😉

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

The best value strings are the ones you like. The cost of strings is tiny compared with the cost of a decent instrument or amp, so why penny pinch?

Is a fair point, but of course available budget comes into play as well. I'm a working musician so I have a very limited budget. Having said that if I spent less of my money on instruments and amplification, when I clearly have plenty of both already, I could buy the best strings ever made. Perhaps I need to look closely at my priorities.