Why become a member? ×

Hello from Manchester

richieclare

Hey there just introducing myself in order to be polite

I am Richard been playing bass for close to 10 years after failing to get even close to sounding like Hendrix on guitar and then being mistaken for a bass player. I mimed for the first 6 months because I had no idea what I was doing. Despite playing for so long I've only owned my own bass for 1 year - a spector legend 4 string in amberhurst. The church has a yamaha bb605 so I played that for a while before getting my own. I like to keep my strings on for too long and play with a flat battery for extra sounding rubbishness. I used to play through a pod but just recently I've started trying to simplify my life and playing style so now just go dry straight into an amp - a marshall 33watt something or another.

I'm self taught so my hands are constantly aching and my frets continually buzzing. I play in a church with a couple of different band leaders so depending on who is leading I play rock, gospel, reggae, souly stuff which mostly sounds like me going bom diddy diddy diddy bom bom and hoping no one can actually hear me. My church just got permission to move into a brand new building so in the next few months I'll be looking at trying out some new amps and messing about with effects.

My favourite players are James Jamerson and Larry Graham so no surprises there although I don't get even close to grooving like those guys.

I like bass chat because I can occasionally understand what you guys are talking about

thanks

[quote name='richieclare' post='347100' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:34 AM']100% Blue and looking forward to January :-) I stupidly live near old trafford though

Bring a hat and gloves Deaver cos it's pretty cold at the mo. Visiting any where nice?[/quote]

Welcome to Bass chat from a fellow Manc and more importantly a fellow Blue :)

[quote name='richieclare' post='347100' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:34 AM']100% Blue and looking forward to January :-) I stupidly live near old trafford though

Bring a hat and gloves Deaver cos it's pretty cold at the mo. Visiting any where nice?[/quote]

Eastlands for the Everton match. Staying in posh apartment hotel in Ducie St with newly-wed mates. Will be in the Circus Tavern for pre match snifters if you want the inside track on Bass Chat.

Welcome from a fellow Manc!!

I'm a red living right next to Eastlands though :) Am I right in thinking you are looking forward to Jan for the transfer window? I must say, I am really interested to see what is going to happen at City. I really can't see any of the big names being banded about joining City but there is a fair chance they will be able to get a few high profile players who aren't getting enough football (such as Robinho at Real).

[quote name='Veils' post='347526' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:48 PM']Welcome from a fellow Manc!!

I'm a red living right next to Eastlands though :) Am I right in thinking you are looking forward to Jan for the transfer window? I must say, I am really interested to see what is going to happen at City. I really can't see any of the big names being banded about joining City but there is a fair chance they will be able to get a few high profile players who aren't getting enough football (such as Robinho at Real).[/quote]

Don't think that January will be as spectacular as the press are stirring it up to be.

Diarra is apparently a done deal.

Bridge/Cole/Taiwo are all looked at for LB (I think Garrdio's been great this past 6 weeks)

Apparently Robinho has been instrumental in selling City to Kaka, and its a possibility (can't see it myself)

RSC is a target.

Toure is apparently a target.

then theres the dreamland targets of Aguero and Villa... exciting, if nothing else! :huh:

Some big rumours this weekend Villa is coming for £50m due to Valencia being skint. fingers crossed. Wouldn't mind a sneaky bid for vidic or evra ;-) Dream signing would be Kaka but it's a bit hard even accepting that he's heard of us let alone would play for us.

@veils - i have a friend who lives in the flats just opposite asda at eastlands. i dropped her home wednesday night after practice just as city & psg was finishing and then had to drive back to old trafford just as united & blackburn finished. nightmare!

@deaver - had a ticket for the everton game but then remembered that i'm going out for christmas so can't make it :-( have fun - hopefully robinho and swp will be fit and they'll put on a show for you. Staying with some newly weds not going to be a bit awkward?

thank to all the fellow blues for the welcome. Might not get much bass playing done in January but might try for a little Blue Moon

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='347515' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:14 PM']Welcome Richieclare,
Great taste in bassplayers mate,good effort. :)[/quote]

Yeah I like the guys who i might one day be able to play like (by one day I mean with 20 years of solid practice) rather than the double thumbers of this world.

I'm manc too - and Red. there's been plenty of stories in the meeja about big name players rejecting the idea of going to Citeh - Huntelaar was quoted as saying [b]"There was interest in the summer, but these weren't the clubs we had thought about. Manchester City didn't meet our criteria. Manchester United? Maybe that would have been another story!"[/b]

I think until Citeh start challenging for trophies, not many players who are at top clubs will be tempted. CL qualification is a must, but i can't see it happening this year even if they do buy some players in the transfer window. MASSIVE!

Welcome to the forum anyway - good to have ya

[quote name='rasher80' post='348706' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:15 PM']I think until [b]Citeh[/b] start challenging for trophies, not many players who are at top clubs will be tempted. CL qualification is a must, but i can't see it happening this year even if they do buy some players in the transfer window. [b]MASSIVE![/b][/quote]

groan - at least I should be thankful you didnt write ciddy
hearing rumours today that we've already paid for Kaka and Villa is coming as well. Of course with city being city I expect a big kick in the nuts and we'll probably sign marcus bent and sell SWP and Robinho and our owners go bust over night - fingers crossed

Hi from yet another Manc (and a red).

"Lend us a fag Maxine I'm gaspin"

Great taste in bassists. No matter whether you think you're good or not, you're always better than the first time you played it, so it's always positive :)

And regardless of whether we're Manc/Scouse/Cockney/Geordie/Red/Blue/Black & White, we're all bassists. That's good enough for me.

(My God these happy pills are good!)

• 4 weeks later...