Why become a member? ×

Inspired to try

I Denby

Every bass design I've ever hated for aesthetic reasons I've ended up wanting to own a few years later.

At this point I've given up having strong opinions about these things because I know I'll probably change my mind at some point.

• Haha 1

I'm generally a fairly open-minded person. However, when shopping for a bass myself, I will automatically exclude the following:

• More than 5 strings: whatever you're planning on doing with all those strings, it can't be healthy
  • Precision and Jazz basses: can't fault them in terms of sound or playability, but where's the soul, where's the character? They're like the Starbucks of the bass world. I don't mind a bass that draws upon them for visual inspiration, but the originals (and exact copies) make me yawn.
  • Ibanez: undoubtedly great value instruments, but I'll always associate them with teenagers playing metal and slapping furiously without a semblance of a groove
  • Singlecuts: Mr Blobby aesthetics make me boak
  • Warwick: I once tried one in a shop. Salesman begged me to make him an offer, but I just couldn't bring myself to.
  • Gibson: I must admit that I really dig the look of LP basses, Thunderbirds and EB-x, and it would be great to have a cherry red EB-3 to match my 6-string Epiphone SG400, I'm totally scared off by what I've heard about their neck dive. I know how bad my SG400 neck dives, so I can only imagine how bad it is with a bass, which will be even heavier.
  • Pointy headstocks (Jackson) or pointy bodies (BC Rich). If you're not wearing full face makeup, or you have long flowing hair with your shirt unbuttoned to your navel, then they aren't going to suit your look.

S.P.

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2019 at 15:00, I Denby said:

I'll come straight out with it -I cannot pick up a p-Bass looking bass and try it. The style just doesn't inspire me, despite knowing there are some top-notch ones.

However THIS Base really makes me want to pick it up. 

Do you have bass prejudice too?

mayones_comodous_4_custom_shop_bass_buckeye_bartolini_augilar_10.jpg

Weirdly, I'm a meat and potatoes J and P man and don't like boutique basses, but there is something about that wood finish that made my trousers wobble....

1 hour ago, I Denby said:

Well, having now spent some time looking around at what's available these days, I've narrowed down my shortlist of basses that excite me enough to want to try them in the hope that they sound as good as they look

Sir, I just have to say that also a Zon might be one reasonable alternative. There is one with a cocacola top:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/333003-zon-sonus-custom/

At least would love to try that one. Yes, it is a bolt-on but a Legacy is rare. The body shape clearly relates to Spector NS-1 (Ned Steinberger) - Warwick Streamer - Fodera Monarch - etc. so obviously Mr. Steinberger got something right with that.

My personal favorites while choosing an instrument are: neck shape (backside as flat as possible), string spacing (19 mm), ergonomics (including light weight), sound on the darker side, and I like carbon fiber as well as hate the F-word (by Leo).

Nice to have: no front dots, dark top wood colors, dark fretboard (definitely not maple), easy string changes (top loaded bridge), strap locks, 4/5 strings.

Strings and electronics can be easily tweaked if needed.