Why become a member? ×

Inspired to try

I Denby

There are a quite few basses out there that are much loved by there owners and sound great but personally I wouldn’t go anywhere near for no other reason apart from don’t like the way it looks 

Edited by danny-79

47 minutes ago, I Denby said:

I'll come straight out with it -I cannot pick up a p-Bass looking bass and try it. The style just doesn't inspire me, despite knowing there are some top-notch ones.

However THIS Base really makes me want to pick it up. 

Do you have bass prejudice too?

mayones_comodous_4_custom_shop_bass_buckeye_bartolini_augilar_10.jpg

Funnily enough, that's one I would walk right past as visually I find it totally uninspiring - even while recognising it's most likely a very good bass. But not a P-bass person either - prefer 80-90s style headless basses. Takes all sorts :D

I find 99% of singlecut basses absolutely foul to look at - would not be seen dead playing such a thing - even if it was a £15000 Fedora. Really don't know why theses vile, bulbous, lumpy things, with their extra 2kg of unnecessary wood, seem so popular with people who spend huge money on luthier-built basses.

Likewise basses with more than 5 strings - which funnily enough seem to go hand -in-hand with a massive exotic-wood body-plank shaped like Snoopy's head. You just know someone's going to pick it up and start endlessly noodling out anaemic, bloopy-sounding, atonal "solos" don't you? :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, I Denby said:

I'll come straight out with it -I cannot pick up a p-Bass looking bass and try it. The style just doesn't inspire me, despite knowing there are some top-notch ones.

Agree with the P bass thing and that Maruszczyk looks amazing...

2 hours ago, I Denby said:

I'm totally with you. I think that thing is absolutely gorgeous. I think Fenders are at best bland, at worst ugly. P basses being the worst of the lot. They do nothing for me at all. No accounting for taste I suppose. 

• Like 1

I like Precisions, Jazzes, Rickenbackers, Thunderbirds, Les Paul’s and that’s it. I suppose I’m a bit of a traditionalist but all these modern things just look dreadful to me. Don’t care how they sound or play, I’m walking past.

• Like 1

I’m not a P Bass fan. I love the sound but I can’t get on with them...don’t ask me why I have no idea! I’ve had a couple of absolute crackers but they just didn’t suit the band sound I was looking for and there’s something about the playing position.   I do however love a good jazz.

I’m very much into the looks as well as the sound. I would dismiss buying anything in tobacco burst, I can’t stand it, despite as you say, knowing full well that the bass might be amazing. 

I can appreciate some nice wood grains, although I don’t own any.

My collection has finally reduced and they all happen to have matching headstocks, just a look I like, they all happen to be amazing basses too, in my opinion... 

Its horses for courses I guess. 

0713E083-A294-4EEF-AAD9-1C16D6ADE683.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m with Bassassasin on this one, can’t stand single cuts or see the point of them. Oh of course they haven’t got one have they, point that is. Don’t see any reason for more than 5 strings either. Why would you want to go higher on a bass, you’re supposed keep the bottom end going and leave the nurdling around to the guitarist.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, I Denby said:

Does absolutely nothing for me. I’m just not into fancy dancy woods on a bass, it’s just a bit meh! Shape is odd too.  Oh and I’m generally not a fan of that kind of headstock either😂 oh and no headstock is just wrong!   I’m definitely a simple P bass man and the more worn the better, suppose it’s horses for courses 🤷‍♂️

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Agree with the P bass thing and that Maruszczyk looks amazing...

I think that’s a Mayones? Which isn’t really my thing either. I’m definitely a P man, but I used to be a J man. It’s surprising how your tastes can evolve. 

• Like 1

Another ‘I don’t like single cut basses’ vote here. Of course I love single cut guitars and own a Les Paul.

I wouldn’t play a headless bass either.

I like modern approaches to instrument making but those are my only two exceptions. 

A headless single cut bass is bound to exist right? 

2 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Another ‘I don’t like single cut basses’ vote here. Of course I love single cut guitars and own a Les Paul.

I wouldn’t play a headless bass either.

I like modern approaches to instrument making but those are my only two exceptions. 

A headless single cut bass is bound to exist right? 

Would you make an exception for this one ;)

83139321-81CA-4AF8-8264-D6468FAD2D04.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I find 99% of singlecut basses absolutely foul to look at - would not be seen dead playing such a thing - even if it was a £15000 Fedora. Really don't know why theses vile, bulbous, lumpy things, with their extra 2kg of unnecessary wood, seem so popular with people who spend huge money on luthier-built basses.

Likewise basses with more than 5 strings - which funnily enough seem to go hand -in-hand with a massive exotic-wood body-plank shaped like Snoopy's head. You just know someone's going to pick it up and start endlessly noodling out anaemic, bloopy-sounding, atonal "solos" don't you? :lol:

Don't mess around, Jon - give it to us straight......... 😁

• Haha 1

Many years ago I was in a large guitar emporium looking for a Jazz. The only example they had at the time was in "merde brown" and I wouldn't go within 10 feet of the thing. It might have been a brilliant player, but I was not about to prance around a stage with a turd round my neck :D

Not a fan of single cuts either 

Back on topic...

I do not suffer from bass prejudice!

I'll play anything.

Once, in IKEA, there was a P bass copy adorning a wall in one of their rooms.

It was knackered and had 3 strings. They'd screwed it to the wall to prevent people stealing/playing with it. Undeterred, I plucked a string.

BOOM! The stud wall it was screwed to acted like a huge soundboard. And because it was screwed to it, the energy transfer was very good!

I tuned it to itself, loosely in EAD, and played it (fretting it from the front) until they asked me to leave because of the racket.

Moral of this story;

Play everything you can get your mitts on. You might get a pleasant surprise!

It's easy for me; tone & ergonomics > aesthetics.

Others' mileage may vary, of course!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2