Why become a member? ×

ok really boiled my p1ss, need to let off steam

skidder652003

He’s left his e-mail...perhaps Basschat can let him know what we think of his proposal...

perhaps we can enquire about holding a party at his hotel, we don’t want to pay for it but there will be lots of guests, what a great opportunity for him to promote his establishment

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

Just another example of how little people in general value any kind of creative industry. 

The issue is not just this person/venue though, I know and have know, a lot of bands and musicians that would play the opening of a cupboard door for a free drink and a pat on the back. I don’t want to criticise them too much, because for a lot of people it’s a hobby and they are just happy to play and have fun and don’t need or want to make money.

I have found the same through talking to other kinds of creative people, photographers, web designers, illustrators, they all come across people who do the same work but will do it for very little or nothing just to get experience and build a portfolio.

2 minutes ago, NJE said:

Just another example of how little people in general value any kind of creative industry. 

The issue is not just this person/venue though, I know and have know, a lot of bands and musicians that would play the opening of a cupboard door for a free drink and a pat on the back. I don’t want to criticise them too much, because for a lot of people it’s a hobby and they are just happy to play and have fun and don’t need or want to make money.

I have found the same through talking to other kinds of creative people, photographers, web designers, illustrators, they all come across people who do the same work but will do it for very little or nothing just to get experience and build a portfolio.

you know if it was for charity, I might have some sympathy (not much but thats a different thread), but this would appear to be purely for the Hotels benefit. They even say that they expect 300 plus punters as per last year, but as its a free event (like all my pub gigs) they don't expect to pay a band! Fair play for being upfront about it, but seriously?

I had a friend who, when asked why his band was charging so much to play on New Years Eve replied:

“You try calling out a plumber and see what you’ll pay...”

People like our landlord friend here are parasites. If you can’t run a business properly by paying people a fair wage then your business doesn’t work. I have the same argument against design agencies failing to pay their interns. It’s just not right.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

Thet&c’s are there plain as day

tou can take it

or you can leave it

simple

I can see it now...a few excited phone calls..."Hey, you see that gig at the Highwayman ? You  did ? Yeah...I thought we could give it a go too. Is Jo still playing drums ? Brilliant...I'll bung them an email. Hope we've got enough time !!!"

A slightly haphazard gig of some old crowd-pleasers, the band have a blast - old fires rekindled, the crowd dance the night away, totally oblivious to the bum notes here and there. Two weeks after the gig, the band get together and talk about how much they enjoyed it

"Hey...you think we could do this more often.....?"

Now, isn't that a nice picture ?

That's what popped into my head when I read the ad.

:D

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

I can see it now...a few excited phone calls..."Hey, you see that gig at the Highwayman ? You  did ? Yeah...I thought we could give it a go too. Is Jo still playing drums ? Brilliant...I'll bung them an email. Hope we've got enough time !!!"

A slightly haphazard gig of some old crowd-pleasers, the band have a blast - old fires rekindled, the crowd dance the night away, totally oblivious to the bum notes here and there. Two weeks after the gig, the band get together and talk about how much they enjoyed it

"Hey...you think we could do this more often.....?"

Now, isn't that a nice picture ?

That's what popped into my head when I read the ad.

:D

sounds like a schmaltzy jamie oliver and pukka friends advert with toploader soundtrack

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

sounds like a schmaltzy jamie oliver and pukka friends advert with toploader soundtrack

Oh dear....I see what you mean.

I was more thinking BBC Sunday evening comedy-(slight) drama but now Mr. Oliver's turned up my vignette may have to take a somewhat 'scandi-noir' turn.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

So we “book the gig” then show up with 10% of total BC members plus gear. Think it should fit nicely, a 4000 strong mega bass jam.

4000 bass players all playing the riff from The Chain in unison for 2 hours. That should do it. Where's the number for the Guinness World Record people? :D

12 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

There's bands who would be happy to do a gig for free, for the experience (ie ALL amateur groups, not semi-pro, by definition). And there's bands who get together to practice, but don't even do any gigs. The OP comes over as a bit narrow-minded to me.

Ooh - you had to get the can opener out. There will be worms everywhere. We've done that argument a few times

(All said with tongue in cheek and with no offense intended :) )

38 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

There's bands who would be happy to do a gig for free, for the experience (ie ALL amateur groups, not semi-pro, by definition). And there's bands who get together to practice, but don't even do any gigs. The OP comes over as a bit narrow-minded to me.

It's the same as you'd get paid for an open mic night, so someone local should get a bunch of people together from the local open mic and see if they can eat and drink themselves into profit.