Why become a member? ×

Bright Flatwounds ?

JohnFitzgerald

Have flatwounds been reinvented when I wasn't looking ?

I'll be honest, I've never taken to flats, but I got this new fretless today and it came with flats.
I opened the box, saw the flats and my heart sank.

I didn't want that 'flat' sound.

then I played it.

Where did all of that brightness come from ?

Have flats been reinvented ?

9 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I use Chromes on all my basses - what set do you use on your Dingwall, and is that a 4- or a 5-string Super P?

5 string. I’m not sure what gauge as they came on the bass from the previous owner, but they certainly feel gentle under the fingers. 0F7F9575-6FB3-4224-87ED-2D91267E1F1C.thumb.jpeg.d00c8ccae7967ebeabd5fc634a04e8c1.jpeg

On 11/01/2019 at 21:57, JohnFitzgerald said:

Have flatwounds been reinvented when I wasn't looking ?

I'll be honest, I've never taken to flats, but I got this new fretless today and it came with flats.
I opened the box, saw the flats and my heart sank.

I didn't want that 'flat' sound.

then I played it.

Where did all of that brightness come from ?

Have flats been reinvented ?

No. Like all fresh flats, they need to be played to get that flat tone!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, therealting said:

5 string. I’m not sure what gauge as they came on the bass from the previous owner, but they certainly feel gentle under the fingers. 0F7F9575-6FB3-4224-87ED-2D91267E1F1C.thumb.jpeg.d00c8ccae7967ebeabd5fc634a04e8c1.jpeg

Thank for that - there may be a Dingwall 5-er in my future, and I need to know I can use strings that I like!

I’ve only got flats on one of my basses, Jazz with EB Cobalts, I’m not really a flatwound person but theses to me sound great, quite bright for a FW but nice and thumpy too  

Ive also got a set of Daddario Chromes waiting to go on my acoustic bass.  But that’s another story 

17 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

Any idea about the Adagios or the Olympias? Never tried flats and they both seem good value.

I've tried Olympias, and they are not bright sounding flats, more old school and duller sounding than even Labellas. They are not as smooth to the touch as more expensive flats, in fact they are slightly rough. The set I tried had different length silks for each string which was a little bit odd.