Why become a member? ×

field recording

fiatcoupe432

Hi Guys ,  a friend of mine asked me if i could do some outdoor sound recording of his supercar collection . 

Now i ve told him that i do have some equipment but i wanst sure if it was possible to do it . 

so my question is .....

Can i use a mac a soundcard and couple of mics ? 

if you have any experience please advise !!

15 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

...Can i use a mac a soundcard and couple of mics ? 

if you have any experience please advise !!

Is there power available, or would you be entirely autonomous..? You'd want condenser mics, and a sound card with at least two mic inputs, both with phantom power. I'd use small-diaphragm condensers, such as the Superlux HI10 (inexpensive, robust...) or Behringer C-2 Stereoset (idem...).
We recorded a stunt-car event a couple of years ago, using a Motu Traveller, with several mic's along the length of the track., which worked very well. Unless you specifically want to record the tappet noise from the motor close up, I'd say you'd be best a few feet away, in general. Try your rig out on your own (super..?) car first, to get some idea of what you want to capture, and how..?
Good luck with the project; photos here, when you're done, maybe..? ;)
Hope this helps.

Edit: Anti-wind noise bonnets may be a Good Idea too, depending on weather conditions.

Edited by Dad3353

mine is just a shitty volvo ahahahahahahah

power might be available  cigarette lighter to power adaptor (not sure this will work?)

i have few behringer c4 and a sony shotgun mic which i can use . i tought  of running the mics trough a 8 channel presonus and logic ?

What you reckon ?

This will be only a trial but then it might lead to a good job in monaco in march . 

so i dont wanna spend too much money before i know i can get the job 

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Is there power available, or would you be entirely autonomous..? You'd want condenser mics, and a sound card with at least two mic inputs, both with phantom power. I'd use small-diaphragm condensers, such as the Superlux HI10 (inexpensive, robust...) or Behringer C-2 Stereoset (idem...).
We recorded a stunt-car event a couple of years ago, using a Motu Traveller, with several mic's along the length of the track., which worked very well. Unless you specifically want to record the tappet noise from the motor close up, I'd say you'd be best a few feet away, in general. Try your rig out on your own (super..?) car first, to get some idea of what you want to capture, and how..?
Good luck with the project; photos here, when you're done, maybe..? ;)
Hope this helps.

Edit: Anti-wind noise bonnets may be a Good Idea too, depending on weather conditions.

thank mate ! 

• Thanks 1