Why become a member? ×

new p.a

bobbytodd

I think BC member Geddys nose uses one of these with his band. He has been really positive about it. Drop him a PM. He is a genuine bloke and a nice fella to talk to. I'm sure (if that is what they are running) he will give you an honest account.

• Like 1

Our singer uses one for his Solo/Duo gigs, (it might actually be an evox 8), and it is astounding. We actually did a function in a large venue and put the band through it, (4 x Vox, Keys, Kick, Overhead), and it was fantastic. We use an LD Maui system normally but the RCF blows the pants off that.

If you were considering 2 of them it would be absolutely stellar.

A single evox 12 is just shy of 2000 euros. That’s a chunk of change for something that might not work for your band - let alone the extra 2k for a second one! 

See if you can locate a sound hire company that has the EVOX in their inventory and rent for a gig or two. See if you can get something comparable price wise to rent in conventional speakers e.g. Qsc k12.2, jbl srx, Yamaha dxr/dxr/dsr plus a couple of decent subs. Alternatively, some great stuff in RCF range - 745, TT etc. Compare the systems. 

I know why the EVOX is tempting - great looks, easy set up etc but you might find conventional speakers offer more flexibility.

The first obvious issue is that you'd need 2 speakers left and right to achieve a proper stereo effect and/or 'fill' a room properly.

What does it do at £1700 and 36kg that this doesn't do at £262 and about 16kg? https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Alto-TS312-2000-Watt-Active-Speaker/2FOD

Or, instead of lumping it all into one high powered active speaker (I know the RCF is 2 boxes connected by a pole, but it kinda competes with the "one box" high power ones, in a way) you could get a sub, 2 active speakers and 2 speaker stands; or just 2 decent active speakers + stands, in a more conventional arrangement.

Specifying a sound reinforcement system is a science in itself, but a VERY VAGUE guideline could be: for rock music, aim for 5-10W per 'person', ie if a venue can accommodate 400, then you'd look for 2000W-4000W of total (RMS) power. (It would be different for other genres; for example jazz, you'd aim for a much more bearable 1-2W/person guideline).

But....as above.....I'd expect a reasonable venue to have its own sound system, thus saving you £1000+.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

The first obvious issue is that you'd need 2 speakers left and right to achieve a proper stereo effect and/or 'fill' a room properly.

What does it do at £1700 and 36kg that this doesn't do at £262 and about 16kg? https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Alto-TS312-2000-Watt-Active-Speaker

While the ALTO is a fine speaker in its price range, the EVOX would decimate it. We use the Alto ts312 for drum  monitoring and it does a decent job. Compare the EVOX12 with some higher end JBL, YAMAHA, QSC, RCF etc  - speaker and subwoofer.

A pair of Evox's are brilliant kit for djs etc. Theyre fast becoming the standard in look and sound for mobile and wedding djs. They sound fantastic. Streets ahead of the Alto and cheaper speakers.

How theyd work in a band though, ive no idea. Youd be amazed how much quieter some speakers that work well with pre recorded music can drop in volume when you put live music through them.

32 minutes ago, la bam said:

A pair of Evox's are brilliant kit for djs etc. Theyre fast becoming the standard in look and sound for mobile and wedding djs. They sound fantastic. Streets ahead of the Alto and cheaper speakers.

How theyd work in a band though, ive no idea. Youd be amazed how much quieter some speakers that work well with pre recorded music can drop in volume when you put live music through them.

Absolutely. When the Bose line array type systems first came out, a DJ we used to work with let us use this system to save space on a gig. Sounded great when he used it for recorded stuff, but we couldn’t get it to work for our band at all so ended up using our PA alongside his. Am sure they’re okay for some applications, but for a loud 8 piece band they just didn’t suit.

There are a variety of similar systems - sub plus small array top box - to the Evox. I'd audition them against some of the alternatives, such as Bose, FBT Vertus, Fohhn (which is what I have), HK Elements, LD Maui, EV and others. In general, they offer a clean, hi-fi type of sound, but, as casapete says, the smaller ones tend to be better for playing recorded material and lack the clout needed for live work at any volume. Best to try before you buy to avoid an expensive mistake. Line array systems aren't cheap. 

7 hours ago, Tubster said:

While the ALTO is a fine speaker in its price range, the EVOX would decimate it. We use the Alto ts312 for drum  monitoring and it does a decent job. Compare the EVOX12 with some higher end JBL, YAMAHA, QSC, RCF etc  - speaker and subwoofer.

5 hours ago, la bam said:

Sorry I'm being thick here - what does the £1400+ actually buy you? Or, the extra over a higher end "normal" PA speaker setup such as the Yamaha etc. Because its not weight reduction.

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Sorry I'm being thick here - what does the £1400+ actually buy you? Or, the extra over a higher end "normal" PA speaker setup such as the Yamaha etc. Because its not weight reduction.

You don't have to lift the heavy bit onto the top of a pole. Instead, all your mid-range and bass end comes from a box on the floor so it can head straight for people's knees, rather than having speakers onna stick and getting those frequencies out above people's heads, so the back of the room needn't be inconvenienced by that nasty music (except for the trebly bit).

• Haha 1