Why become a member? Read more... ×
Beedster

NBD: Fender PBAC-100

There is much about this bass that really makes me smile. Full report in due course......

AUT_8111.thumb.JPG.2647100839a590d5ad8b3b02a25f3d58.JPG

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 3

I love the A/E  bass , i just dont know much about them.  The HMT above seems to have a very different headstock to the A/E

Edited by fleabag

I would suggest it's a PBAC-100.

No prior knowledge, but this is a fretless one.

Edited by ahpook

I'm pretty sure the HMT had a pointy/hockey stick headstock with shark fin inlays on the neck and the AE headstock was more, umm, Fendery

I has the HMT a few years ago and foolishly moved it on

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Yep, PBAC-100, and very nice it is too. First intact bass I've bought for a while and am going to have to sell a few bits to pay for it, but I first saw one of these about 20 years back and have missed so many of them down the years that I thought I'd better make more of an effort this time :)

Electrics are odd, but hey, it's an early 90's Fender. There's a few mods I can probably do that will make this bass a real contender

Super looking bass, I am very envious. Let me know when you want to move it on :) The HMT has the 'pointy headstock'.... why? who in their right mind would make a pointy/ hockey stickheadstock guitar (apologies to any pointy headstock lovers, just not my cup of tea).

2 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'm pretty sure the HMT had a pointy/hockey stick headstock with shark fin inlays on the neck and the AE headstock was more, umm, Fendery

Yes as far as I know this was the only difference between the A/E and the HMT - the neck and tuners

I remember rather fancying these when they were around. They give the impression of a nice, woody sort of tone.

I thought the HMT was a bit of a mismatch; doesn't it come from Heavy Metal Telecaster? There were tons of metal versions of Tele guitars and P-basses, but the hollowness and 'acoustic' bridge on the HMT bass seemed a bit un-metal, although the droopy headstock and sharkfins fit the bill. Of course, these and the HMT came just before the retro revolution which hit guitar and bass mainstream marketing, along with Grunge, and has pretty much hung about ever since.

Anyway, back to the point, nice bass Beedster!