Why become a member? ×

Aria- making a comeback?

Grahambythesea

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Thought I'd chip in. Just in case anyone is too put off by talk of the weight of these beautiful instruments. Here's me, an old man with a long standing shoulder injury still happily dancing with his early 80s Aria.

It's the one I'd save from the fire.

stew.jpg

Me too - though mine's gone to the great bass sale in the sky.

Set neck, single pup, SB700. I also has a fretless before the fretted

bass rig.jpg

• Like 3

Well after squinting at the website for a couple of minutes they certainly haven't convinced me. Hard to believe the designer of those classy understated Arias is the same guy who produced those gaudy munters on there. The muddy stick drawing and hidden bass photos are a blessing in disguise really!

37 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But they do sell themselves as anyone who has played an Atlantis guitar or bass will know.

They would need to as noone else is doing it!

18 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Looks like he's emptied his parts drawer on a body blank to me!

I read that as pants drawer. I am not sure that wasn't correct!

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still own the Aria I bought in the early ‘80s, my first proper bass! I paid £275 for it, wonder what it’s worth now? Even though I’ve progressed to various MusicMans and an American Elite Jazz, it still plays great and sounds awesome!

AD392403-1773-47DA-A64A-0A5A4781D4F8.jpeg

F8D0D305-6FFE-46F8-ABE8-E9DC5D6C2A80.jpeg

14 hours ago, PsyBean said:

I still own the Aria I bought in the early ‘80s, my first proper bass! I paid £275 for it, wonder what it’s worth now? Even though I’ve progressed to various MusicMans and an American Elite Jazz, it still plays great and sounds awesome!

AD392403-1773-47DA-A64A-0A5A4781D4F8.jpeg

That looks pretty similar to my first bass which I picked up for around £200 including case, early 2000s. I don't think they go for a great deal these days maybe £75 to £150 depending on condition:

Aria Pro (Sara's).JPG

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That looks pretty similar to my first bass which I picked up for around £200 including case, early 2000s. I don't think they go for a great deal these days maybe £75 to £150 depending on condition:

Aria Pro (Sara's).JPG

Looks pretty similar, although yours looks like it’s badged “SLS series electrics” wheras mine is badged “XRB series electrics.” Any idea what the difference might be, I haven’t a clue?

I had an Aria Pro II CSB-300 back in the 90s.  I bought it as I was travelling a lot and I wanted a spare bass to take with me so I could practice.

It wasn't at all heavy, but then again I think it was definitely at the budget end of their range.  I don't have a photo of it and I traded it after a couple of years (px for a Gibosn EB3)

I have to admit that after reading this thread I'm GAS'ing over the old SB700s

Damn fine instruments. I picked up a 'Legend' budget end cream jazz on Gumtree for £60, set it up just right, chucked a pair of Wilkinsons on it and Wilkinson bridge, did the series/parallel mod and gig with it all the time. Does what it says on the tin perfectly well for me and sounds awesome on phone recordings at gigs.

Got a mint pickguard coming as I write this too as it happens.

(confession - I had to sand off the Legend logo as it felt a bit 'eeewww' and put a F*nd*r vinyl on to make it feel better)...I know...but we've all done it. 

image.jpeg

Edited by LITTLEWING

• 1 month later...
On 23/02/2019 at 13:25, LITTLEWING said:

Damn fine instruments. I picked up a 'Legend' budget end cream jazz on Gumtree for £60, set it up just right, chucked a pair of Wilkinsons on it and Wilkinson bridge, did the series/parallel mod and gig with it all the time. Does what it says on the tin perfectly well for me and sounds awesome on phone recordings at gigs.

Got a mint pickguard coming as I write this too as it happens.

(confession - I had to sand off the Legend logo as it felt a bit 'eeewww' and put a F*nd*r vinyl on to make it feel better)...I know...but we've all done it. 

image.jpeg

My reaction these days when I see a Fender bass is “I wonder if it’s a real one?”; the fake logos thing has ruined the brand for me. 

• Like 2

On 20/02/2019 at 10:13, Wolverinebass said:

That looks painful and you're not selling this experience to me. Your left shoulder is at least 4 inches lower than your right. The biting of the lips in obvious pain. Eyes closed just "trying to get through it." The clenching of your bum through tensing up with the pain which prevents you from sharting into your pants with the effort of holding up most of the oak in Northumberland. Then there's the opiod addiction....

Admit it Andy, when you tried mine out at the SE Bass Bash the last couple of times you've flippin' loved it!

On 24/03/2019 at 23:43, Deedee said:

Does anyone know if any of the various later SB1000 reissues (JT etc) have a wider ‘standard’ string spacing a la R60/80/150 or are they all narrow like the original SB1000?

I don't know about the original SB1000 but my JT had a wider neck than my EBMM Sterling.

15 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

I don't know about the original SB1000 but my JT had a wider neck than my EBMM Sterling.

Thanks for that. I think all the SB’s have a wide(ish) neck at the top but it’s what they do after that I’m more interested in.

I don’t get on with the original ‘standard’ SB range (i.e. neck starts wide and pretty much stays the same all the way down the neck with a 16.5mm string spacing). I do however love the old SB-R series basses which have a 43mm nut but then taper out to a more standard string spacing at the bridge.

On 11/01/2019 at 23:28, Al Krow said:

What do you reckon this one should cost then?

sbblackngold-500x500.jpg

God knows how much they cost nowadays, but I still have mine which I bought brand new in 1983 for the princely sum of £250...

• Like 1