Why become a member? ×

Aria- making a comeback?

Grahambythesea

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Really Woody, this is not pretty? 

049FA36E-5CA1-49BA-8554-E2C210907B62.jpeg

Really, no.

Big old slab body and droopy mr blobby headstock. No, far from pretty, and that jazz pickup gap is screaming at me. I would say that it looks functional. The ones with the metal pickup surrounds look better (and would cover those unfinished pickup holes), and I guess in black it wouldn't look so big.

I am sure it is very good but.. no.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Al Krow had exactly the same reaction as me. My wife tells me these dresses are meant to make you look slimmer. Does the body styling on the bass make you think it’s lighter than it is?

No, but I might be more likely to buy it a drink in a pub...

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Really, no.

Big old slab body and droopy mr blobby headstock. No, far from pretty, and that jazz pickup gap is screaming at me. I would say that it looks functional. The ones with the metal pickup surrounds look better (and would cover those unfinished pickup holes), and I guess in black it wouldn't look so big.

I am sure it is very good but.. no.

It’s a later model, the “gap” is an adjustment flap rather than 2 like a jb 

6157CC0C-1704-4950-901E-D91C4F89EAA3.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/01/2019 at 12:21, AndyTravis said:

The RSb is cool.

they also make some beautiful SB-1000 exotic wood models for japan only, but they’re the same price as a Wal or Fodera.

04467A21-DD01-4CB0-B02E-E8951AF9B787.jpeg

Ooops, I think I've just come over all unnecessary. I did buy an SB1000 re-issue once, the John Taylor signature one with the Oak coloured wings and black hardware. I think I paid about £1500 for it, which at the time seemed like a lot of money, but thinking back to it - it was a beautiful bass, a real work if art and worth every penny.

FB_IMG_1550530147061.jpg

Edited by darkandrew

Thought I'd chip in. Just in case anyone is too put off by talk of the weight of these beautiful instruments. Here's me, an old man with a long standing shoulder injury still happily dancing with his early 80s Aria.

It's the one I'd save from the fire.

stew.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Here's me, an old man with a long standing shoulder injury still happily dancing with his early 80s Aria.

stew.jpg

That looks painful and you're not selling this experience to me. Your left shoulder is at least 4 inches lower than your right. The biting of the lips in obvious pain. Eyes closed just "trying to get through it." The clenching of your bum through tensing up with the pain which prevents you from sharting into your pants with the effort of holding up most of the oak in Northumberland. Then there's the opiod addiction....

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The true successors to Aria are of course Atlansia run by N.Hayashi the man behind all the classic Aria Pro II designs of the late 70s.

The Abalone (terrible name for a bass) looks like he just cut a Jazz and aJaguar in half down the middle and stuck them together. Certainly one of the worst websites I’ve ever seen. 

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It is a amazing seeing a website like that now

Got to admire the confidence in the product though.

"Are we going to do the photoshoot for the website to showcase our expensive instruments?"
"Nah why bother m8, these bad boys will sell themselves! Lets just spend 3 minutes on a Wix site and call it a day. Besides I've got my nephew to do a sketch on the back of a beer mat with a muddy stick so everybody will know what they look like."

ZIPANG.JPG