Why become a member? ×

Aria- making a comeback?

Grahambythesea

4 hours ago, prowla said:

I've got an Aria PE Elite guitar - it's quite nice.

Et4Fuk9.jpg

OK, so it's not an original 70s PE-1000, but I'll manage to live with the disappointment.

The later Arias are surprisingly good, I'd say underrated, guitars. I have an odd thing which I found out was a Korean-made PE-DCW T, apparently only 100 were imported. I bought this very cheap with a view to flipping it for a profit (back when I did that sort of thing a lot) but found it to be such a playable, unique-sounding guitar, I still have it, 15 years later:

PE02.thumb.jpg.ddc191d5f4166ed4437ad6ecadb0ce4f.jpg

I also picked up this about 10 years ago:

stbgtfull3.thumb.jpg.8428eab957d9fc280a52955da40662a4.jpg

It's an STB-GT, basically an Aerodyne-style P body with a Jazz neck, Stingray-ish electronics, all with a fancy bookmatched top & pearl block inlays. I bought it because it was cheap & pretty, kept it because it plays & sounds great. I think at the time Aria were experimenting with better specced versions of their lower-end copies - if I remember there was a "Rosie" version of this (like the Rosie IGB above) and a 5-string too.

Edited by Bassassin
Shift-key mishap.
  • Like 2

I've liked every cheap Aria I've had, from the £45 J bass to various Integras. Didn't pay over £99 for any of them either, one which I wish I'd owned was the IGB 68. I had the passive 4 string version with the dark stain though and gigged it for a bit, that cost me £50!

5114396_1519926551.jpg

I still have an early Samick Integra with Japanese parts and body/headstock shape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Better than the recent Yamaha TRB 5Pii or their current flagship BBNE2 or even than the older BB1200S or BB5000A?

I'm sure the Aria SB1000 was a great bass in its day but I'd politely suggest that Yammy picked up the ball when Aria dropped it and have managed to score very successfully several times since. 

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I had an ‘80 SB1000 and an ‘81 SB700.

much preferred the 700 and wish I still had it.

but the BB’s are much more my thing.

I don't know about value, but I could walk past a Yamaha without even noticing it was there.

NOT MY Yammy**... (or as some fellow BC'ers may say 'bingo!')

Image result for yamaha bbne2

** any resemblance to my Yammy is purely coincidental arising from being the same model and finish. No Arias were harmed in the making of this picture.

Edited by Al Krow
Opportunity to introduce the term 'bingo!' which appears to bring a modicum of mirth to some. Mirth is a good thing. Especially north of the Firth.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

😮 I was only kidding 😳

I know - you're a complete gent, matey.

However, it was a good excuse to see if Prowla would not have noticed the bass being played by the said gentlemen during his 30 year stint as Eric Clapton's bass player? Probably not... 😀

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

NOT MY Yammy**... (or as some fellow BC'ers may say 'bingo!')

Image result for yamaha bbne2

** any resemblance to my Yammy is purely coincidental arising from being the same model and finish. No Arias were harmed in the making of this picture.

I saw him once - I remember he had some Moog Taurus pedals, but I don't recall what his bass was.

• Haha 1