Why become a member? ×

5 Minutes Spare so looking at a new build....

Jabba_the_gut

I've still got some work to do to finish off a couple of build from last year but need to clear the garage of all the junk from having my kitchen done. In the meantime, I started mocking up a few bits for a new build. Got a few ideas but nothing concrete yet; 4 or 5 string, hollow or solid, 1 pickup or 2. Got some more wood on order but in the meantime...

pfBsMbs.jpg?2

9klFSby.jpg?3

wMxmXPW.jpg?3

I also put a scratchplate on top of a body I'm currently building and quite liked the look of it. It obviously doesn't fit but I like the contrast between the white plate and the spalted beech. Anyone else got any thoughts to the look of this?

Ztid9LW.jpg?1

cjHDqam.jpg?2

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've still got some work to do to finish off a couple of build from last year but need to clear the garage of all the junk from having my kitchen done. In the meantime, I started mocking up a few bits for a new build. Got a few ideas but nothing concrete yet; 4 or 5 string, hollow or solid, 1 pickup or 2. Got some more wood on order but in the meantime...

pfBsMbs.jpg?2

9klFSby.jpg?3

wMxmXPW.jpg?3

I also put a scratchplate on top of a body I'm currently building and quite liked the look of it. It obviously doesn't fit but I like the contrast between the white plate and the spalted beech. Anyone else got any thoughts to the look of this?

Ztid9LW.jpg?1

cjHDqam.jpg?2

Great to see you kicking off a new one!

I quite like the look of a scratchplate on a bass - especially light or white plates.  It does fundamentally change the visual 'feel' though so usually depends on the bass itself whether it works or not.

To my own eye, but it's a personal thing, the above would enhance the same bass built without an f hole but is a bit of a 'culture clash' on the same top with the f hole.  Dunno, really.

Nice thing is that you can fit a plate with light double sided tape so just try it - totally reversible.  With long shaft pots, you can do the same with the controls plate - the pot nuts and washers will hold the plate on.  It would be an interesting 'with and without' comparison on a finished bass ;)

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I quite like the look of a scratchplate on a bass - especially light or white plates.  It does fundamentally change the visual 'feel' though so usually depends on the bass itself whether it works or not.

To my own eye, but it's a personal thing, the above would enhance the same bass built without an f hole but is a bit of a 'culture clash' on the same top with the f hole.  Dunno, really.

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m with @Andyjr1515 when it comes to the ‘clash’ between the scratch plate and the f hole. I keep imagining the bass in the bottom pic with another f hole just where the curved metal (is it called a control plate?) piece is.

I know what you mean about the 'f' hole! I suppose part of my question was also around using something other that a plain wood/colour top with a scratch plate - it almost seems a shame to cover the wood but I quite liked the contrast. As you say, might try a mock up when this is progressed further!!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I know what you mean about the 'f' hole! I suppose part of my question was also around using something other that a plain wood/colour top with a scratch plate - it almost seems a shame to cover the wood but I quite liked the contrast. As you say, might try a mock up when this is progressed further!!

Cheers

This maybe a stupid (if I could build instruments I wouldn't suggest it) but I always hanker after a scratch plate made of wood, or at least appearing like it, in a different shade but with the same finish, still showing the grain, is that odd?

3 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers

I think scratchplates can look very good even with fancy woods.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2019 at 21:04, Jabba_the_gut said:

pfBsMbs.jpg?2

9klFSby.jpg?3

wMxmXPW.jpg?3

Ztid9LW.jpg?1

cjHDqam.jpg?2

My vote would go to 1 MM pickup with pickguard!!

I think that would look killer!! 😀

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:58, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've got another couple of tops and some swamp ash due this week which I'm looking forward to receiving.

Well I would have if Hermes hadn't lost it!! A piece of buckeye burl and some swamp ash for a body - not exactly a jiffy bag......grrrr. 

Really not happy.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...