Why become a member? ×

First gig played, where and when.

Bilbo

First actual gig on bass was a school concert. We were the support band. I had been playing 6 months.

We played some T.Rex, Buddy Holly, The Jam, The Knack

It was November 8th 1981 (Rememberance day) I was 13 years old. The drummer from that band now plays keys for Toyah and we still see each about

First Pub gig, The Louis Armstrong in Dover. 1986. I was 17.

Same landlady to this day

Edited by police squad
  • Like 1

My first actual gig: Swansea, Christmas 1988, when I was 14, at the sixth form room of my school (my brother, who played guitar in that band, was a sixth former) We played a bunch of covers - Wild Thing, Every Rose Has Its Thorn etc.

First pub gig - about nine months later in the Biko Bar at Coventry Polytechnic (as it was at the time) with another covers band with my brother. I think we played Georgia Satellites, Marillion, Bon Jovi etc.

Felt like a superhero after each one!

For both gigs i played my Westone Spectrum bass - I had to borrow an amp for the school gig but had bought a Peavey TNT130 by the time of the pub gig.

Edited by bassbiscuits

FIRST GIG:  November-ish 1968 (Aged 16)- Catholic Church Hall in Clacton-on-Sea - Prototype Power Trio (called PowerHouse IIRC) - Played songs by Creation (Making Time, Try And Stop Me), Zombies (She's Not There), Chuck Berry (Johnny B Goods etc), Byrds (Hey Mr Spaceman, Fifth Dimension, Eight Miles High).

SECOND GIG:  April-ish 1969 - St Christopher's Hall, Jaywick Sands - Same band and songs

Market Harborough Working Mens Club . some time in 1974 .

I had a terrible Audition ( Woolworths brand I believe , certainly that's where I bought it from) bass that I gigged with for six months before getting something half decent.

We knew 12 songs and had to do 3x 20 mins sets plus an encore....We had many requests to play "this again" 😉

Travelled from Nottingham, four of us in the band ...got paid £29.00.

• Like 1

Guitarist's dad's retirement do from the CID, 23 years ago.

We were awful, the police were nice & one p***ed-up CID person got off with the snooty master of ceremonies girlfriend (it was at a posh hotel).

I bought a proper tuner after that gig... 😬

Sixth form common room, sometime in spring/summer '82, aged roughly 17. We built a stage out of big wooden boxes designed for that purpose and then realised my non-adjustable mic stand was too short for me (I was lead singer as well as bass), so we took a box out and I stood in the hole. Seriously. 😂

My first gig was on the 8th of December 1980, aged 17.

It was at my school 'Rock Nite'.

My band was called Peach Melba (named after a flavour of yoghurt) and we chose the lead singer, because he was the best looking guy in the school. Unfortunately he was also the worst singer in the school.

We got booed off.

This is my second gig, at the sister of the guitarist's 21st birthday party. That bass cost me £50 (We were a bit better at this one, we'd been practising).

Oh and we'd got a decent singer by then. Yoshi was Japanese and she had a Led Zep obsession.

No photo description available.

Edited by gjones

Players Sports and Social Club, Nottingham, 1991. 

I think we played 5 songs supporting a band called ‘Bestwood Ethel’.

We weren’t great but it was fun 😂

EDIT - I pretty sure I was playing an Epiphone Powerbass, purchased from a catalogue iirc

Edited by Deedee
Bass added

5 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Players Sports and Social Club, Nottingham, 1991. 

I think we played 5 songs supporting a band called ‘Bestwood Ethel’.

We weren’t great but it was fun 😂

It wasn't supporting Clint Bestwood and the Mescal Marauders was it?

Edited by BigRedX

First was in Germany on a school exchange trip - our choir, their woodwind band. Singer, guitarist and I all went through a small combo. Kay SG copy bass - absolute rubbish!

Second was the de Montfort Hall in Leicester. Again a school thing, backing some kids singing carols. I might have had my own amp by then (?), bass was a Franconia jazz copy - wasn't too bad

• Like 1